My Week - Page 11

Page 11 of 43 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181921 ... LastLast

Thread: My Week

You should think about creating a blog and posting these little anecdotes there. Your writing's good, and the stories are interesting. I'd follow it.
    "The only calibration that counts is how much heart people invest, how much they ignore their fears of being hurt or caught out or humiliated. And the only thing people regret is that they didn't live boldly enough, that they didn't invest enough heart, didn't love enough. Nothing else really counts at all. It was a saying about noble figures in old Irish poems—he would give his hawk to any man that asked for it, yet he loved his hawk better than men nowadays love their bride of tomorrow. He would mourn a dog with more grief than men nowadays mourn their fathers.

And that's how we measure out our real respect for people—by the degree of feeling they can register, the voltage of life they can carry and tolerate—and enjoy.
    "

Live like a mighty river: a letter from Ted Hughes to his son, Nicholas

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Jon M View Post
    You should think about creating a blog and posting these little anecdotes there. Your writing's good, and the stories are interesting. I'd follow it.
    Thanks But I think my self indulgence should only go as far as this forum. This would be the only place that people would have even the slightest interest in the posts I post. And that's fine by me.
    If your art doesn't push, you won't get any pull.

You ever see somebody and automatically hate that person? It happens to me all the time. I think about it. It seems that there are a finite amount of types of people who exist in society. I see some guy, some guy I never met before, and I say to myself, I say, 'I know that guy. Maybe not that particular guy, but I know him. And I hate that guy'. It's usually not, in my case, about something shallow, like looks (But I can safely say that I've hated everyone I've ever met that had a face tattoo), and it's not about race or gender. I usually have to get a sample of a person, how they think or speak, before I decide whether or not to hate them. Hate, you know?

I don't think I shouldn't hate. Because you're going to hate someone, unless you live in some fantasy world. Everybody hates, or has hated somebody. I believe it's a natural state.

On the other hand, I meet people that I automatically feel love for. Not many, but for those I do, the empathy and care I feel in my heart is freaking stupid. It's jarring to feel warmth for someone you don't really know when you're used to hate. But, Yin and Yang, yeah. Balance, It's fantastic.

I think about these things, ponder them, while I watch and listen to the people at work. Some of them are so vile. I just wonder what dark goings-on that they are involved in, how they spend their time. It must be awful, whatever it is. What kinds of stupid things do they like? Do they cry when they are alone? I bet they do.

Every year around Christmas, my friend Kristen and I drive around in the night, listening to Christmas music, rolling through neighborhoods admiring the different light displays in yards. I'm really looking forward to it this year. It makes fine memories, spending time with a friend, enjoying the same thing. With all the tough times I've had recently, it helps to have something to look forward to, even something small.

I guess I shouldn't complain about life. It is unseemly. There are a lot of people who are worse off than I am, to be sure. But if one guy gets punched in the face three times, sure, he can lord it over the guy that only gets punched once, but to be fair, it still hurts to get punched in the face (believe me), even if you only get punched one time.

Been thinking about Al Capp's shmoo lately. Reading a book about it. Like Gloop from the Herculoids, the shmoo represents something that I've had an odd attraction to in the past. The idea of the shmoo, some weird, malleable creature that exists only for your pleasure appeals to me. Sexually. I'd like to nail a shmoo. Or Gloop.

The shmoo would die of happiness if you looked at it like you wanted to eat it, and depending how you prepared it, the shmoo could taste like anything you wanted. It also selflessly provided milk, eggs, and butter from its body. I wonder how Gloop would taste? If only you could eat cartoons. What animated character would you eat?

Work proceeds. I sell tampons where I work, and I've noticed that attractive girls will often be very embarrassed to buy them from me. Sometimes I've watched their tentative browsing near the feminine products, furtive, nervous glances my way, as if they are wondering if they might want to go someplace else to buy their pads or tampons. They obviously don't want a paragon of male virility to be privy to their personal ways. It's funny. Homely girls don't seem to mind as much.

Doing quite well at work. I could be promoted at my convenience because of my work ethic, honesty, and people skills, but I would have to change locations. I don't want to do that, so I remain.

Will not be writing much this year. Have decided to concentrate almost exclusively on artwork in 2014. Have a webcomic, Christmas newsletter, and two children's books that I will be working on this revolution around the sun. I suspect that I might post an occasional poem, though. When I have some noteworthy art to share, I'll post some links, if anyone is interested.

lol. sex with a shmoo? ha ha. now i know there are plenty of fat chicks in indy you could role play that one with.
    "Man, you should have seen them kicking Edgar Allan Poe.”

Quote Originally Posted by dale View Post
    lol. sex with a shmoo? ha ha. now i know there are plenty of fat chicks in indy you could role play that one with.
    Nooooo!

But yeah, there are a lot of roomy girls lurking about. But it just wouldn't be the same. My heart beats only for shmoo!

Quote Originally Posted by Arcopitcairn
    Work proceeds. I sell tampons where I work, and I've noticed that attractive girls will often be very embarrassed to buy them from me. Sometimes I've watched their tentative browsing near the feminine products, furtive, nervous glances my way, as if they are wondering if they might want to go someplace else to buy their pads or tampons. They obviously don't want a paragon of male virility to be privy to their personal ways. It's funny. Homely girls don't seem to mind as much.

Seems quite possible they have been exposed to crappy remarks from less polite paragons of virility out there. But regardless, lots of women feel sort of weird about it. Even knowing it's no cause for shame and nobody really cares, still... "Hello, Mr. Cashier, how are you today? Yep, well, I'm on the rag, meself..."

I'd just buy something even more embarrassing than the tampons to make myself feel better about it, like a fishing magazine, or a CD of Christmas songs performed by the KKK. Who's going to go, "Gee, tampons?"
    "When I am gone, it won't be long before I disturb you in the dark."

~ Hidden Content ~

Didn't think of that. Knowing some of the kind of people who are cashiers, I can guess some of the sniggers or remarks. I can't imagine doing something like that. I'm proper in practice, if not entirely in theory

One of the girls I work with, while I was stocking the feminine hygiene shelves, asked me if it made me uncomfortable. I said, "No, what am I, in grade school?"
    Last edited by alanmt; February 28th, 2014 at 03:03 AM.

My vote always goes for finding alternate uses for the tampons, as an excuse. "Naw, they fer nosebleeds, man."

If you get some artwork done and feel like sharing, please post us up a link or something. Enjoy your updates too.