A review, a review! My kingdom for a review! - Page 2

Read our latest author interview on Flashes >>HERE<< .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A review, a review! My kingdom for a review!

It occurs to me that you could offer a cash back deal in exchange for an honest review, the added advantage is you would have reason to acquire an e-mail list of people who had bought your previous book, experience tells me review first, cash back after..
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Olly Buckle View Post
    It occurs to me that you could offer a cash back deal in exchange for an honest review
    Hmm, that comes awfully close to paying for reviews - which is never a good idea.
    Has left the building.

Blog Entries
    From a reader's standpoint I'll just say that if your book is so incredibly awesome that I really WANT to give a review and shout out to the world about how this book is the greatest, even then it needs to be easy to do and I may need to be nudged with some kind of reminder. Reviews take time and attention and would easily slide down the priority list for the day.

I'm thinking of ebay and their feedback system that kicks out an email a little while after I've bought an item, asking if I've left feedback and giving me a link right to where I can do that.

I know that you don't want to pester your readership but if you know that some of them are friends and you have their email anyway, you may want to email them a link to where they can review the book and remind them gently that a review would really help. Definitely pass it off as something that is easy to do. I wouldn't be offended by that or upset by an email like that and they shouldn't be either.

And my apologies to that certain person who is still waiting for me to write up a review their book. This has reminded me. (sorry!)
    Hidden Content in the Daily Dose of Dialogue

The good and bad of publishing: Hidden Content

There are a couple of ways to do it.

First, establish a reciprocal basis with other authors in your genre. You'll review their book if they return the favour. You'll find most authors (especially those who struggle for reviews as is) will jump on this opportunity. It's much the same as this site. You can't expect critiques if you don't offer them. Get in touch with authors in your fellow genre. I've even approached authors from outside my genre and the results have been thus far pretty good.

You could also contact top reviewers on Amazon and ask them to give you a review in exchange for a free copy of the book. The problem with this is that pedantic reviewers won't go near self-published works. Try to go for ones that are moderate reviewers and you might get more luck.

Apologies if I've repeated what anyone else has said. I just read your question, Dave.
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

"One morning I shot an elephant in my pyjamas. How he got into my pyjamas I'll never know." ~ Groucho Marx.

"It is better to be feared than loved, if one cannot be both". ~ Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince.

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer". ~ Bruce Lee.

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's mind there are few". ~ Shunryu Suzuki.

"Give a man a mask and he will show you his true face". ~ Oscar Wilde.

"He who learns but does not think is lost; he who thinks but does not learn is in great danger". ~ Confucius.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
    Hmm, that comes awfully close to paying for reviews - which is never a good idea.
    I really don't see any difference from offering reviewers a free book as was suggested by Juganhuy or to e-zines as in the OP, just that owing to their lack of track record they get the book after the review.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

Sending a review copy is standard procedure for publishers, and it's understood that the reviewer is under no implied promise to write a review or for that review to be favorable. Offering money (whether outright or via rebate or discount) is seen as buying a review, with the implication that accepting the offer obligates the reviewer to not only write a review, but to write a favorable one. There's the idea that a favorable review under such circumstances could not be 'honest', simply because the monetary incentive was there. Best, IMHO, to keep one's integrity beyond reproach and leave the money issue completely out of it.
    Has left the building.

Huzzah! The gods of scribbling have smiled upon me and saw fit to bless me with a review!

Isn't it great when you finally get a wee push of encouragement? When you think of all the doubt, blank pages, rejection letters and obscurity any writer has to wade through as part of the whole deal, these little golden nuggets of hope do occasionally crop up. Okay, it's not the New York Times, but it's a start!

Ginger Nuts of Horror, I salute you. I'd also encourage any other writers of the nasty stuff to give these guys a shout when trying to get your work out there.

Oh, you want to read it? Well I wasn't going to... but if you insist...

"There are a couple of things that will draw me to a new author, one of these things is setting your book in Scotland. However some of the time this turns ourt to be a bad thing, take a bow Mr Alten. Thankfully Dave Watson's book falls into the good camp.

In the Devil's Name, despite a slightly shaky start where it almost feels as if the author is trying to find a rhythm for his narrative, turns out to be a really enjoyable gore filled and thrilling read. Watson has filled this book with all manners of characters, many of which will be instantly recognisable to those of us lucky enough to live in Scotland. The dialogue, and especially the use of local dialect gives the characters a good deal of depth, they actually sound real.

Another reason for liking books set in Scotland, is the rich history of spooky legends that this country has. One of the most famous one is that of the Sawney Beane, our very own cannibal superstar. Rather than going for a simple rehashing of the story in a contemporary setting Watson has used the legend more as a stepping stone from which to tell his own story, of a town trapped by an ancient curse.

and once the story really kicks off with a fateful camping trip, the action never lets up, this quickly becomes a fast paced romp, with a huge side salad of blood guts and dismemberment. I particulary liked The Harvester , this is chilling creation, whose bony extra jointed hands will grip your heart in an icy embrace.

The book is broken up into sections set in the present in the past, and from the point of view of The Harvester, while this works in terms of the narrative, the choice of fonts used to distinguish these sections did jar somewhat. However, over all this was a very enjoyable read, and I look forward to the next story from Dave Watson
    " -- Jim McLeod, Ginger Nuts of Horror

Pfft. "slightly shaky start" indeed. Why I oughtta...
    "If at first you don't succeed, aff wi' the bunnet, and in wi' the heid." - Old Glasgow proverb.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12