A Lyrical Graveyard

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Lyrical Graveyard

A Lyrical Graveyard

And no, I'm not talking about this entire forum (although it would fit, wouldn't it!) XP

I'm talking about those bits and pieces of songs/lyrics that pop into your head but, for some reason, you can't finish them. You may have just a chorus, or a verse here, a bridge there, maybe a few of these together but not a complete song! You approach them, ready to make a proper song out of it and no matter how hard you try, it won't let you. Sometimes it feels as if that piece is destined to be just that, a single, lone piece.

Why not share your unfinished parts and/or how you overcome this problem, if it plagues you at all.

I'll start:

"Solomn wishes consumed,
    By burning passions for a lie
    Why,
    Try to deny
    It makes us human
    and keeps us alive"

Until the end of our lives
    We hunger for a reason
    No chance to realize,
    This silence is a treason
    But to fade away
    An empty shell
    Is,
    Hollow a death,
    and blasphamous
    To the meaning

"It's only falling in love because you hit the ground."- "I Appear Missing", Queens of the Stone Age

"She lingers beneath the dying moonbeams; glass in hand, struggling to stand, and in her eyes the universe gleams." - Lady of the Moment

[Hidden Content ] - Always appreciative of a critique.

At least your example looks like a piece of modern poetry;
    and perhaps that is what is was meant to be ...
    a poem with background music.

I had two or three fat manila folders of aborted ideas,
    I'm not sure if I still have them, or which carton they'd be stored in.
    I had to do some ruthless culling when I moved into my current,
    much smaller, house.
    "I don't know ... I'm making it up as I go ..." - Dr I Jones

Nature abhors perfection - cats abhor a vacuum!

"Faith can move mountains - she's a big girl!" (unknown/graffiti)

If I act like I own the place, it's because I did.

I tend to burn the ones I have no hope for, and that goes for all my work ^^

"This is the bottom of the pit
    This is the flesh of which you bit
    Crying, feed me
    This is the hollow where it hit
    These are the words that do not fit
    You want to, eat me"

Like what I did in the second to last verse I ran out of ideas so I made a little joke.

"It's only falling in love because you hit the ground."- "I Appear Missing", Queens of the Stone Age

"She lingers beneath the dying moonbeams; glass in hand, struggling to stand, and in her eyes the universe gleams." - Lady of the Moment

I get ticked when I can't think of anything to go after the first few lines, so I just tear out the page keep it in one of many shoeboxes and forget about it until I need something to help me think.

"He stays at home for days at a time
    Thinking about what could have been.
    A remote in one hand and a beer in the other;
    Escape as a means to an end.

There's a single lone box
    That comes in all sizes.
    You turn and twist one way
    And your life twists another.
    Take all you think you know
    And throw it all out for the birds."

And this piece of crap.

"Loosen up the looser ends.
    Let it all become undone.
    Loosen up the loser's end.
    Keep a record of all he's won.

It's infinitely impossible enough for it all to come true.
    If I came off as rude, I was only rude just for you.

I find I pay more for all
    The things I've gotten for free.
    But you know, I guess it was worth
    All your money in the end.

I'm smart enough to be
    Just the student for you."

I just left it alone, because I honestly had no idea where I was going with it. And somehow I was rhyming at the beginning without even realizing it, so that really messed me up when I realized it.

One more

"The"
    Last edited by Bachelorette; September 19th, 2012 at 02:34 PM.

Ahah! Welcome! That reads as a full song, melody and all? I can sing mine, but as I mentioned in a previous thread I've ne musical ability whats so ever -_-

"Butterfly, butterfly
    I watched you as you fluttered by
    You feel my hate, and know your fate
    My heavy hand will bring you down..."

Hated the butterfly reference -_- scratched it entirely, it went on:

"Your seeking of power
    will lead to your affliction
    I hate the way you shower
    me with false affection"

Quote Originally Posted by Noxicity View Post
    Ahah! Welcome! That reads as a full song, melody and all? I can sing mine, but as I mentioned in a previous thread I've ne musical ability whats so ever -_-
    Luckily folk style music is easy to work with; the music isn't too terribly complicated, but somehow I couldn't get it to fit to any chord progression. It just wasn't working. When I get with my friend to start recording our folk-rock project I'm gonna have him look at it and see if we can finish it right then and there. As far as singing... I'm not a great singer; that's what folk music is for.

Quote Originally Posted by Noxicity View Post
    "Butterfly, butterfly
    I watched you as you fluttered by
    You feel my hate, and know your fate
    My heavy hand will bring you down..."

Hated the butterfly reference -_- scratched it entirely, it went on:

"Your seeking of power
    will lead to your affliction
    I hate the way you shower
    me with false affection"
    The second stanza is definitely something that can go any direction. I think you should keep it somewhere and if you ever need an extra line that happens to fit in with another song you're working on, fit it in with a little modification if necessary. I don't often do that because I prefer to finish it all at once (if that makes any sense at all), but when I can't sometimes I get lucky and have a good line lying around that would fit perfectly.
    Last edited by Namba; September 18th, 2012 at 05:54 PM.

Oh no, I know what you mean. I'm the same way. It's just that the tune is stuck to it now and I can't seperate them =P

I have one that I'm dying to finish but can't seem to find the right way to go on, maybe I should do a thread for that too "Songs with Promise!"

Finished one just today Hoping to adapt it into a song later.

So do you think of the lyrics and then add the tune, create the tune and add lyrics, or discover both simutaniously?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast