Wundirfal [fantasy]

Read our latest author interview on Flashes >>HERE<< .

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wundirfal [fantasy]

Wundirfal [fantasy]

More or less the finished version of ch. 1. Thank you all in advance for your thoughts and comments. Note some names may be changed for this version.

As always, Enjoy.

The sun falls, cloaking the land into habitual twilight, and cicadas hum distantly as we delve farther into the forest. Goosebumps rise when a cool breeze kisses expose skin, and the woods becomes deafening as the nocturnal awake. Without the sun’s heat the forest cools, and the once humid air condenses, building moisture on every exposed surface, causing the forest to become a show of subtly shifting light. Wet leaves glare, refracting the moonlight above, creating a mirage for a spider’s freshly spun web; a Luna Moth, by happenchance, flitters into the inescapable death trap, and below a shrub rustles as a fox dashes after a rabbit in a deathly game of tag. The forest is completely naive of the approach of something much more sinister.

My ears perk as the sound of footfall approaches just beyond my sight. The situation has reversed itself: the beasts we are hunting are now hunting us. The scratching of jagged claws against the tall sender pines is foreign to the soundtrack of the night and signals that that they are near. My eyes jerk from one point in the darkness to another, following each new alien sound, yet they stay just beyond the darkness. A hand circles in the air, a signals to move together. More footfall approaches us from behind, but they are from no beast; five new warriors join our rank of twenty, a joint force of hunters and guards from the city of Vanf. The scratching intensifies; they are very close now. My eyes return to scanning the darkness, and I spot a silhouette have appears in a moonbeam like spotlight. A black lion, bear hybrid like creature stands upright, its teeth glowing unnaturally white, and its eyes mad with blood, a Ravuge: one of the races of unnatural creatures. It fades back into the darkness. We hunt them every full double moon; as it is necessary for a hunt to keep the Ravuges numbers down and, therefore, the roads and the city of Vanf safe. The scratches increased in intensity, and grow louder in all directions as we move forward into a half-clearing. They surround us now. I draw my saber quietly dragging its strait form along so that it teases the tips of velvet grass. The group halts and forms a protective circle when the forest becomes eerily quiet. Suddenly, a bush rustles towards the northern end of the circle, so some the inexperienced guards in the group loosen up and move to investigate the noise.

“It’s a trap!” One elder hunter calls out. As if on cue, several monstrous dark figures rush out of the vegetation. A mix of roars and screams fill the once stagnate night air. My attention is drawn to the dark looming outline in front of me. I drop and weave swinging my saber skillfully slashing the beast while avoiding its massive swinging claws.

A distinctive female scream cuts the air. I smoothly circle to the front of the beast and slash at its eyes, and in the same movement back around severing its calves causing it to fall forward, paralyzing it temporarily. I take the moment to search through the chaos to confirm my fears. The moonlight illuminates a monstrous figure hovering over a bloody female body. It is Sasha; one of the two female guards from Vanf who have the honor of joining the hunting party. Turning around, I unsheathe my dagger, and thrust it into the back of the neck of the already stunned ravuge, severing its spinal cord, killing it instantly. Already on the balls of my feet I swing around and dash through chaos at Sasha. Her assailant, who is in the process of dragging her limp body away, releases her and turns to face me as I approach. The ravuge crouches down on all four legs and rushes me with its jaw stretching in preparation for ripping my bones and flesh to shreds. I continue without hesitation and leap just as the beast enters my sabers range. I twist and contort while I gild through the air narrowly escaping its horrific jaws. I land on its back and waste no time swinging my saber at its neck, and in a stroke of luck slice between its vertebrae beheading it in one quick swipe. The beast collapses with a thud, and its head rolls a few feet away. I drag myself away and over to Sasha.

I check her vitals; despite how bad she looks, her pulse is strong, but her breathing is shallow and weak. I search her body for an immediate injuries and find that the left side of her face is badly bruised; her chest and back-plate armor are pierced and bent on the upper right side where the beast had clamped down to drag her. I lay my now blood decorated saber to the side, draw my dagger, and somehow cut the leather straps holding her armor together. Then I carefully removed her from her armor that was serving as a death trap. I pull some cloth out of a first aid pouch on my belt and wrap her shoulder with it.

I grab my saber and scan the area. The small opening is sprinkled with mangled corpses both human and beast. I spot a group of ravuges circling, like a hungry flock of vultures, the last few survivors on the far end of the opening, but before I have the chance to move, a rustling in the vegetation causes me to freeze. I slip a small hatchet from its sheath and raise it coiling my arm behind my head. Releasing the built up tension, the axe gilds smoothly from my hand slicing end over end through the air and sinks into its intended victims’ skull killing it silently. I spot a mass, limping from a spear imbedded in its side, to my right, and I fling a throwing knife, causing it to charge in my direction; a second throwing knife finds its mark putting the ravuge out of its misery.

The air grows still and eerily quiet as I glance back to the lone group at the opposite edge of the clearing. I whistle causing the circling ravuges to stop and slowly twist to face the noise. The world slows as everything becomes vivid, sharp and clear.

A single blade flutters afterglow of the moons slicing the stagnate aura of dread as two Ravages are slain. Armor glitters beams of twilight as figures rush past two newly gouged carcasses marking the broken encirclement. Their armor flickers bits of shattering moonlight as they draw quickly and silently to me. The blades of grass shed what are the starts of dewdrops at even the slightest touch of the warriors as they wade across the grassy opening and form around me.

Five? Only five left other than me?! The trance is broken by the utter shock of the question echoing in my mind. I cannot comprehend that out of the twenty-five of us that went out only six remain in fighting shape. They set up a perimeter without uttering a word. Wait, I know these five. I walk over and fill a spot left open for me in the circle. The ravuges had already begun their encirclement of death about twenty steps out. I hold my saber out at each beast slowly passing and creeping closer. Each ravuges’ red eyes search for signs of weakness as they pass. They are ten paces and closing. I ready another throwing knife in my left hand as I wait for the first unlucky beast to make its move.

A subtle breath turns heavy as new winds whistle across the landscape. The world of nightlight dulls as looming clouds quiet the once radiant starry sky. A sense of horror creeps onto the land as twilight fades to unknown blackness. My feet shift unconsciously fighting the terror sinking deep into my bones brought by uncertainty of the dark. Red eyes full of rage glow, like rubies, which silently circle creating a trance of impending death. Clouds break, allowing the largest moon to illuminate the world below, if only for a moment. My heighten senses slow the suddenly lit world. Massive paws push off the earth tossing wet grass, sparkling in the limelight, like confetti at some grand jubilee, as a Ravuge breaks formation and charges on all fours towards me. I smoothly sidestep left flinging the knife from my off-hand; the sleek curved blade sails through the air, and sinks into the charging ravuge’s shoulder causing its left front leg to fail. The strait form of my saber shimmers as it slices through the outstretching right paw that now spits bloods from the newly dislocate veins. I thrust into the beast’s side hitting a rib, but the pressure changes as the top third of the sword shatters from the connection. The beast recoils from the blow, rolling to its side, and tries to regain its footing; an arrow whizzes and connects with one of the beast’s hind legs, and it falls to the earth with a thud. I walk over to the beast, prop my leg against its heaving chest, and struggle to thrust what is left of my saber farther into the howling ravuge’s chest until the jagged tip reaches its heart.

I jerk the sword out revealing its broken, useless shape. My eyes dart to the right. A child’s jigsaw puzzle made of butchered ravuges is strewn before a massive blood splattered claymore. Behind the behemoth of a sword in a full blown steel suite of armor, with the exception of the helmet, is one of the three captains of the guard; Eays. A distinct yelp shifts my focus left to find a young man, in brownish color light armor, plunging a long sword into the chest of a whimpering ravuge. Shou is his name, and in a short staccato movement he pulls the blade from the beast. I turn my body so that the remaining three come into view. Opposite of me on the south side, and more towards the center of the group than the rest, stands a beautiful menacing female figure, Asa. Asa’s windswept, waist long, chestnut brown hair flows freely as her eyes, ever watchful, search for even the slightest movement; her fingers poise, on a half drawn bow’s string, ready to let a deadly arrow fly precisely to its mark. Left of her, a short man in light armor holds a halberd and two sheathed dirks at his waist, and to the right of Asa, on the southern side of the group, a short man—a bit shorter than the man on the left—in standard plate armor holds a spear and a shield in the shape of a coffin; they are Dubane and Rakue of the Dunob family. I look so different compared to them: wearing old tattered, leather dress armor, a black clay mask with white teardrops around the eye-holes, a belt sagging at my waist, and physically weaponless.

The moment passes and the world plunges yet again into pitch black. The thumps of paws softly landing on the grass quietly fade into the distance. The sound of the muffled footfall completely dissipates by the time the lazy clouds clear the moons, and light returns to the dreadful scene. I kneel, wipe the fresh blood off the blade on the moist grass, and sheath the broken saber. My hand reaches to the medical pouch on my belt, and pulls out a notebook and four pins. Flipping through the pages I find the parchment, rip it out, and pin it to the ground. I struggle to pull my left glove off as the sound of blades sinking into flesh, finishing off resilient ravuges, fills the night. I unsheathe my dagger, and prick my thumb with the tip, drawing warm blood. I place my thumb on the bottom of the rune filled circle written on the parchment, and whisper, “Fáthḱ-suhkˈ zhatum”.

The paper glows neon green as the black inscribed runes start to turn ember red. The air stills before exploding in an outward whirlwind. The burst of air subsides, and in its place a steady, dull hum confirms the magic is creating a force field that surrounds the clearing.

I exhale letting a sigh gently cross my lips, and try to swallow the feeling of dread growing inside my chest. I have never seen a group of ravuge of this size naturally, nor had them retreat after they have attacked. Someone, most likely a mage, is controlling them. The knowledge one must have of the firsts’ language to do so is powerful and unknown to me, even as a Magi. This situation, with so many dead and the fact that I am weaponless, may be beyond me with my limited capabilities as a Magi. The mage will be back before dawn, and he or she will not be alone.

The better part of the next hour was spent collecting the bodies, or what was left of them, and transferring them to a treeless section of the clearing where the grass was shorter. There I began to assess and treat, with magic if possible, the various injuries. Unfortunately, I did not have the adequate medical supplies, or their injuries are too severe to be healed by my level of magic; nevertheless I manage to save five out of the sixteen. The others keep themselves busy by collecting all the arms and tools from what is left of the incapacitated in a pile.

I begin to lay out everything usable I have left: a dagger, thirteen pieces of cubed half foot notebook paper, a piece of black chalk, and the two small throwing knifes I salvaged. The realization that I had nothing feels suffocating, so I undo the leather strapping of my mask and lay it to the side. I take deep breaths, trying to allow myself to think, when a hand pats my shoulder, “We have to send someone back to Vanf. We can't sit here much longer,” Eays said.

“None of you alone could make it back to Vanf alive,” I utter, “Even if you made it past the beasts. There is a mage out there,” I signal towards the woods with my hand, “controlling the beasts.”

“Think he’ll show?”

“No doubt,” I look down to what is left in front of me, “but I don’t have much to go on.”

My experienced mind, trained over hundreds of years for constant battle, begins to race. Insight occurs as I stare at the bleak materials, and my mind begins to weigh the pros and cons of each idea. I finally settle on one with the most versatile response that still gives me a much needed advantage. I jump to my feet without saying a word and begin to walk away.

“Care to fill me in,” Eays calls out slyly.

“Smoke and mirrors,” I sarcastically call back.

“Smoke and mirrors,” Eays echoes under his breath, and scoffs lightly at the remark.
    Last edited by Xalor; December 3rd, 2012 at 11:02 PM.

Very cool. Reminds me a little bit of the Monster Hunter series.

First thing that bugged me though:

SCRRRRAAAAAAAPPE! Curses! SCRRRAAAPE! They are onto us.
    I don't think of 'scrape' as much of an onomatopoeia. I think you'd do better describing the sound than using it in this way.

I'm also a little leery of the name 'Loins'. It makes me think of less savoury things than giant killer lions.

Other than that, you have some drifting tenses, from present to past, while I think your action-oriented piece benefits most from a present-tense approach.
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content
    Please feel free to tear them to shreds in your spare time.

Blog Entries
    This is very well done. The first-person point of view is a little bit of a different twist on action oriented fantasy.

Not much more I can say on top of what JackKnife already said. I would just like to add that the last bit of the story, from the point when the main character whistles, is a bit confusing. I've read it over a few times and I'm still not exactly sure what is going on there. Could just be me though.

Great job, keep up the good work!
    Last edited by Gyarachu; August 29th, 2012 at 01:33 PM.
    "Fantasy is the literature of hope. In fantasy there is a belief that you can make a difference. Today may be bleak, but you can live through today. And tomorrow will be better. And maybe there'll be a different darkness tomorrow, but you can live through that, too, and you can make the light come, and the darkness go away. It doesn't matter how many times the darkness comes. There is always hope for something better." ~Robert Jordan

"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ~C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by JackKnife View Post
    Very cool. Reminds me a little bit of the Monster Hunter series.

First thing that bugged me though:

I don't think of 'scrape' as much of an onomatopoeia. I think you'd do better describing the sound than using it in this way.

I'm also a little leery of the name 'Loins'. It makes me think of less savoury things than giant killer lions.

Other than that, you have some drifting tenses, from present to past, while I think your action-oriented piece benefits most from a present-tense approach.
    I replaced the scrapes with something a bit more descriptive. and I changed loin to ravuge...loins was temporary name until I thought of a better one.XD and I tried to take out most of the past tenses but its hard to in some cases. Thank you for the input!!

@Gyarachu I will keep that in mind. if anyone else comments that it is confusing then I will change it. thanks for the comment.

They, the Ravuge, are giant bipedal lion, bear hybrid like abominations.
    There has got to be a better way of phrasing that, it is clunky and although technically grammatically accurate, it sounds bad every time I read it. Also I would like some description on them, as to why they are abominations? Are they only in the one area? Where they some horrible science / magic / alchemy experiment gone wrong? If they are a natural beast people would more likely have a different word of disgust for them. Abomination means something that is abhorrent, generally aberrant in some way, like it is malformed, has two heads, giant cancerous growths, things like that. The simplest definition of the word, ignoring the etymology of it, is disgusting, but the way you used it seems more like you were going for hated, which works alright, but is still the wrong use of the word.

...swinging my rapier skillfully slashing the beast...
    The rapier is a stabbing weapon, generally if you slash with them they break. The rapier was designed as a light weight, fast weapon to pierce armour, generally chain-mail, and slip between plates of heavier armour.

I land on its back and waste no time swinging my rapier at its neck and in a stroke of luck hit in between its vertebrae beheading it in one quick swipe.
    ...See above.
    You may want to have him with a long sword or scimitar. Both are heavy single handed slashing weapons. Although in this setting I think a scimitar or short sword, something more maneuverable, like a gladius, would work well. That way the character is mobile and fights in close, which the longsword does not do well in.

I draw my rapier quietly...
    ...unsheathing my dagger...
    I slip a hatchet from its sheath...
    I spot another mass to my right and fling a knife...
    ...second knife find its mark...
    I ready a knife...
    This guy is armed to the teeth! In combat, and hunting, and especially hunting something that dangerous, weight gets you killed. It just seems horribly unlikely for him to be carrying that many weapons, you might want to tone it down a bit, maybe point out early that he has a set of throwing knives and drop the dagger and axe.

A single blade flutters afterglow of the moons slicing the stagnate aura of dread. Armor glitters beams of twilight as figures rush past two newly gouged carcasses marking the broken encirclement. They flicker bits of shattering moonlight as they draw quickly and silently to me. The blades of grass shed what are the starts of dewdrops at even the slightest touch of the warriors as they wade across the grassy opening and form around me.
    This part was beautifully written. Why is the style here so much different from the rest? It is very imaginative and everything is described with this precise beauty that you don't have in any of the rest of the story.

Last, there needs to be some more physical description. I personally imagined a pine forest, it fits the close together fighting that seemed more climatic. But while thinking about what I just read, I can not visualize anything, but a few flashes of movement. I have no idea what the main character looks like, at all. Is he ten or fifty years old? What colour is his hair or eyes? What kind of armour is he waring? Also, since you had no descriptions when you explained about the MC removing the womans armour to apply first aid, I was shocked for a moment, I had no idea she was wearing heavy armour. Hunting requires speed and percsion, something armour removes. So knowing they were in heavy armour the idea of the character moving around as he was is so very unbelievable. Please work on descriptions to help set up a scene better. Also, you stated at the end there were maybe thirty of them; I had no idea. At the beginning you say it is a hunting party, my mind decided on five or six. There needs to be some description here, there was just too little and it made the entire scene feel empty.

Another thought. It is first person, how about a little emotion or thinking? Whats going through his mind? How does he feel when the woman gets mauled?
    Anyway, hope this has been helpful, I'd love to reread this if you work on those points.

Quote Originally Posted by Artanyis View Post
    The rapier is a stabbing weapon, generally if you slash with them they break. The rapier was designed as a light weight, fast weapon to pierce armour, generally chain-mail, and slip between plates of heavier armour.
    Actually, there are different types of rapiers. The most generally accepted definition of a rapier is, as you've said, a stabbing rather than slashing weapon, but there are those that have edges perfectly capable of slashing. I think the German variety is the type.

That said, the rapier is still generally more suited to stabbing than slashing, although some are perfectly capable of both, and you may still want to consider a change of weapon because of it.
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content
    Please feel free to tear them to shreds in your spare time.

JackKnife Said:
    Actually, there are different types of rapiers. The most generally accepted definition of a rapier is, as you've said, a stabbing rather than slashing weapon, but there are those that have edges perfectly capable of slashing. I think the German variety is the type.
    No, I believe you are confusing Foils for Rapiers. Yes, a rapier is sometimes bladed on both sides, they can be used for quick slashing motions, but will never do more than surface wounds unless you are skilled / lucky enough to hit a major artery or vein. The way he described it in the story you would need something heavier than a rapier to handle the slashing, hacking, and cleaving. As far as the "different versions" of rapiers, what actually changes is the type of hilt and how much of the blade is actually bladed. Most rapiers use one of the Italian hilts and have only a bladed tip, but there are many variations where the blade comes as far as half to three quarters down. Some go all the way down, but that weakens the metal, and since they were so thin, that strength at the base was needed for blocking and capturing. Rapier forms require a lot of movement and stabbing, they are long weapons that rely having more reach due to the length of the weapon and and the wielders arm.

Here, for clarification: Rapier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    And the Foil: Foil (fencing) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sorry, I have trained in Quarterstaff, Bo, Han Bo, short sword and shield, spear, spear and shield, naginata, bokken, saber, and a few other more random melee weapons and several forms of Eastern and European Martial Arts including Tae Kwon Do and Russian Systema as the major ones. If there is one thing I know better than computers, it's medieval weapons. Also a good friend of mine, actually my best friends girlfriend, uses the rapier, my best friend uses the broad sword or hand-and-half sword (no real difference between the two) and I prefer the quarterstaff. But point is we have all sparred each other with the various weapons and forms, there is no way to cut off the head of a beast, as described here, with a rapier. Not unless it was magical or something, like a vorpal rapier might do it...

With a bit more research I think the Swiss degen is probably the best weapon for what you're looking for, it's short for close combat, thin at the tip for stabbing, bladed all the way down for slashing, with a thick base for cutting. Generally no guard since they were mostly side arms, but might fit the character well I think. Although generally if we're talking middle ages, and he was a recognized soldier / warrior he would probably carry a longsword or some form of broadsword. If its Renaissance time period then it would be a rapier and dagger or rapier and dirk. These weapons were commonly wielded as a set, the shorter blade being used for parries and blocks while the long blade was used for quick thrusting attacks. Also generally hunting was done with spears, everyone used a spear, nothing more powerful in those time periods as a group of men with long pointy sticks so tightly together that you cant get through. And I mean real spears, not what TV has turned them into, spears were 8 to 10 feet long. A lot of people confuse spears for pikes, pikes were actually 10 to 25 feet long, depending on country and usage. And also often, javelins were confused for spears, most javelins, commonly carried by skirmishers, were only 3 to 6 feet long and almost always had a very heavy tip to make it balance easier for throwing.

I hope I didn't overload you on old weapon information, and I hope it is helpful.
    Last edited by Artanyis; August 29th, 2012 at 08:21 AM.

There has got to be a better way of phrasing that, it is clunky and although technically grammatically accurate, it sounds bad every time I read it. Also I would like some description on them, as to why they are abominations? Are they only in the one area? Where they some horrible science / magic / alchemy experiment gone wrong? If they are a natural beast people would more likely have a different word of disgust for them. Abomination means something that is abhorrent, generally aberrant in some way, like it is malformed, has two heads, giant cancerous growths, things like that. The simplest definition of the word, ignoring the etymology of it, is disgusting, but the way you used it seems more like you were going for hated, which works alright, but is still the wrong use of the word.
    I see what you mean....It will be noted and changed.

...See above.
    You may want to have him with a long sword or scimitar. Both are heavy single handed slashing weapons. Although in this setting I think a scimitar or short sword, something more maneuverable, like a gladius, would work well. That way the character is mobile and fights in close, which the longsword does not do well in.
    I should explain.. I meant for the rapier to be an easy way to say a thin sword of medium length. if I start throwing words around like a Swiss saber(witch is pretty close to what I meant) the average human isn't gonna know what I'm talking about.. that being said I'll take the word rapier out and describe just describe the sword to avoid further misunderstandings. and I had planed on the sword breaking shortly as thin sword typicality do....

This guy is armed to the teeth! In combat, and hunting, and especially hunting something that dangerous, weight gets you killed. It just seems horribly unlikely for him to be carrying that many weapons, you might want to tone it down a bit, maybe point out early that he has a set of throwing knives and drop the dagger and axe.
    To clarify the MC has a set of throwing knifes, a light sword, a dagger, and a smallish multipurpose hatchet. The MC also wears leather armor if that helps.

This part was beautifully written. Why is the style here so much different from the rest? It is very imaginative and everything is described with this precise beauty that you don't have in any of the rest of the story.
    I fear if I write like so all the time it will go over some of the readers heads....but I'm still trying to figure a good balance out.

Last, there needs to be some more physical description. I personally imagined a pine forest, it fits the close together fighting that seemed more climatic. But while thinking about what I just read, I can not visualize anything, but a few flashes of movement. I have no idea what the main character looks like, at all. Is he ten or fifty years old? What colour is his hair or eyes? What kind of armour is he waring? Also, since you had no descriptions when you explained about the MC removing the womans armour to apply first aid, I was shocked for a moment, I had no idea she was wearing heavy armour. Hunting requires speed and percsion, something armour removes. So knowing they were in heavy armour the idea of the character moving around as he was is so very unbelievable. Please work on descriptions to help set up a scene better. Also, you stated at the end there were maybe thirty of them; I had no idea. At the beginning you say it is a hunting party, my mind decided on five or six. There needs to be some description here, there was just too little and it made the entire scene feel empty.
    You are right about the hunting party thing....I will try to find a way to word it better. I am purposely avoiding any details on the MC. It is interesting that you think the MC is a male however. and I will work on the physical setting some too.

Another thought. It is first person, how about a little emotion or thinking? Whats going through his mind? How does he feel when the woman gets mauled?
    Anyway, hope this has been helpful, I'd love to reread this if you work on those points.
    I was trying to reflect that the MC keeps a cool head the entire time the bloodbath occurs. The MC is highly skilled, trained, experienced, and fit. I tried to reflect this in the writing. It seemed I failed. also the setting is something like if the middle ages had continued for 1000 more years; so it is feasible that they would be able to have strong light metal.
    Thank you for your comment and time. I will try to work in the changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Xalor View Post

I fear if I write like so all the time it will go over some of the readers heads....but I'm still trying to figure a good balance out.
    Don't write down to your readers. That will show in your writing and make it weak. Always assume your readers are at least as smart as you are, you are not going to 'go over anyone's head'.
    “Fools” said I, “You do not know
    Silence like a cancer grows
    Hear my words that I might teach you
    Take my arms that I might reach you”
    But my words like silent raindrops fell
    And echoed in the wells of silence : Simon & Garfunkel

Those who enjoy stirring the chamber-pot should be required to lick the spoon.

Our job as writers is to make readers dream, to infiltrate their minds with our words and create a new reality; a reality not theirs, and not ours, but a new, unique combination of both.

Visit Amazon and the Kindle Store to check out Reflections in a Black Mirror, and Chase

Hidden Content

I should explain.. I meant for the rapier to be an easy way to say a thin sword of medium length. if I start throwing words around like a Swiss saber(witch is pretty close to what I meant) the average human isn't gonna know what I'm talking about.. that being said I'll take the word rapier out and describe just describe the sword to avoid further misunderstandings. and I had planed on the sword breaking shortly as thin sword typicality do....
    Why not just say saber? Everyone has seen a cavalry saber or at least the dress saber that marine officers carry when in dress uniform. I think just describing it as a saber would be the quickest way to everyone's mind. Either that, or make up a word, describe it as you like and have a weapon that never really existed but fits the setting, like star trek did with the Bat'leth.

Sorry about that last post I made about the weapons, it's something that I am a bit passionate about and I went a bit over the top there on what you needed to know and how much I should say. It is your story, write it as feels best to you.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast