It's not exactly poetry, or How can you tell if the lyrics will work? - Page 2

Submit your creative works to Flashes >>HERE<< .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: It's not exactly poetry, or How can you tell if the lyrics will work?

How can you tell if the lyric works? Sing it. Sometimes the sense is in the melody, or in what's unsaid. I never get over-hung-up on my lyrics. I try to keep them from being banal, and to have some resonance for other folks, and that's it.
    Hidden Content
    "From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx

Blog Entries
    Most defiantly do some lyrics just stand out and POP! Other times, it’s the music that makes the lyrics popular. Either way it’s all part of the creative process.

In answer to your question: what do you look for when you look at someone's original lyrics? For me I look for an emotional connection. If I can relate to the words of the song, it will peak my interest and get me liking the song. Singing a song that metaphors my feelings or experiences is what makes for me, a great song, but it is all subjective.

I love poetry, and rhyme. I think the tune happens sometimes and other times it doesn’t. If lyrics are very poetic perhaps there will be a tune that develops, but I think the tune is created in the mind of the person and is completely different than what the songwriter wants. Perhaps, musicians can hear the tune more when they read lyrics, as they understand melody and notes.

Lyrics are mini short stories, and are usually written in beautiful poetic verses, others are more modern, and talk-out verses. Either way, when I read a lyric it is different than when I hear the song, the lyrics are like the seeds of an apple, and the song, the apple itself. Biting into an apple I taste the apple and forget the seeds, a lot of people forget the lyrics, which is too bad, people hear the song but never really take the time to understand the words.

Anyways, I am thrilled that this writing forum has lyric writing, which is my second favorite craft to write (a part from friction). Going to check out more threads….

Keep on singing,
    Steph

Blog Entries
    I understand what you meant when you wrote about hoping someone who is musically inclined will add to the music of your song. You could have Golden Lyrics, but miss the chance of having it be produced because you canít create the music for it. For myself, I am just a lyric writer. I wish I was musically inclined too, but that is left to other great people, to create. Kudos for recording your song thou! What type of lyrics are you writing?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachelorette View Post
    See, I'm not musically inclined enough even to do that. I think if I could cook up a tune to go with written lyrics, it would help me immensely in critiquing them, even if my melody wasn't the one the author had in mind.

Well, the problem I have is that I don't know how to critique lyrics by themselves. I'm a huge fan of music, and I listen to music that, lyrically speaking, spans from inane to almost literate. As a writer and "word person" myself, even I don't pay a whole lot of attention to lyrics in songs I like. I usually like a song for other reasons. So all I can do is fall back on my poetry critiquing "skills", which is unfair to the lyricists, because lyrics, in most cases, aren't poetry and aren't meant to be.

I think that might be what's really holding a lot of people back from commenting on lyrics. They don't know how to critique them in a way that would be beneficial to the lyricist.

So! Nox and Cran: what kind of things would you, ideally, like people to comment on regarding your posted lyrics? Or, given that this section of the forum is rather slower than other sections, would you be happy with just about anything?
    You’re right, people (myself included) would find it challenging to properly critic lyrics of a song, because it can be perfectly written, in verse, but people don’t like the sentence structure or don’t get the poetry and or rhyme, that is written.

Lyrics to a song can be better (and often are better) when it is sung and music is played.

I guess people can critic the written craft of lyrics, like for example: does it have a hook, is the chorus interesting, does it have a melody, things like that can be critique. And of course grammar and spelling.

Hello Miriam
    Hidden Content
    "From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx

I think that lyrics can't be like traditional poetry. They have to flow more and stumble from one idea to the next without premeditating where they are headed. Lyrics should be simpler, more cohesive, and less poetic.

I think a lot of it has to do with the flow. The lyrics will be a problem if they mess with the flow of the song. I still have tons of trouble figuring out how it all works though, so take my opinions with a grain of salt.

I just listen to the music and lyrics and judge how it all meshes. Without the other, I doubt that most song lyrics would work for poetry.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12