Self-Publishing is Inevitable

Read our latest author interview on Flashes >>HERE<< .

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Self-Publishing is Inevitable

Cool Self-Publishing is Inevitable

I think it's inevitable that authors will have to become publishers. In the past, authors had to learn to type; then they had to learn to use computers, then the internet, and soon, to be an author, one will have to know how to publish via Kindle and CreateSpace as well. They will have to learn formatting, layout, etc. They will have to outsource what they can't do: editing and cover design. And they will have to learn to market, but hey, they have to market today as it is.

The new author’s toolbox will include the know-how to publish—it only makes economic sense.

In the Huffington Post today, Stephen Power shared some thoughts on how publishing can stay alive. To me it sounds like the death rattle of an industry that has to go the way of horse-drawn carriages in the face of automobiles. Here's a link:

Stephen S. Power: Three Ways Publishers Can Avoid Extinction

The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

How many decades have we been hearing about the death of trade publishing now? Self-publishing is a valid choice for some writers and not for others. I don't think those who choose trade or indie publishers need worry about having no place to go.
    Has left the building.

I doubt traditional publishers are going anywhere. Even if physical books cease to be made, the companies will most likely move to e-book publishing. Just like newspapers, they'll just move online. There's nothing to worry about.

Yeah. I agree with Shadow and Fin.

Publishing houses are not dumb. They are smarter than most self-published authors, because their expertise is the publishing industry. As a result, they are going to use e-publishing better than the average self-publisher.

I believe it'll still be the same game, just in a different venue (online, instead of physical). The publishers will still be the dominating force.

And writers, in my opinion, will continue to solicit publishers because they are the ones with the deep pockets and the six-figure checks.

I think it's great that technology today allows writers the option of self-publishing. I see nothing wrong with it, and tons of potential. I just don't think it spells the demise of publishing houses, though. They are very resourceful and know their stuff.
    Last edited by Kyle R; July 24th, 2012 at 08:49 PM.

Hush! All of you, stop talking right now! If we can convince all the new writers that the only way to go, the only way they will ever be read, is to self publish, then just think of what that will do to the slush pile for the rest of us!

So, to all you young writers out there; go forth and Lulu your butts off! Don't bother with an agent -- they don't do anything except suck your blood anyway -- take that first draft, make it into a pdf and slap it between covers. You'll get rich in no time.

(The above is just for fun, folks. Remember I'm a guy who self-published his first book.)
    “Fools” said I, “You do not know
    Silence like a cancer grows
    Hear my words that I might teach you
    Take my arms that I might reach you”
    But my words like silent raindrops fell
    And echoed in the wells of silence : Simon & Garfunkel

Those who enjoy stirring the chamber-pot should be required to lick the spoon.

Our job as writers is to make readers dream, to infiltrate their minds with our words and create a new reality; a reality not theirs, and not ours, but a new, unique combination of both.

Visit Amazon and the Kindle Store to check out Reflections in a Black Mirror, and Chase

Hidden Content

As a consumer... I generally only buy a book on the kindle if I've seen it in waterstones. To me it's like a quality guarantee, I know that whatever is in waterstones has gone through a heck of a lot of "rite of passage" type thing so I know that I'm not buying the work of some keyboard jockey who has gone:

"wpeugewi;ba;a;pdudi;pv!" Awesome, I've written my book... Why won't the publishers accept it?... They must be idiotz! I R gunna self publish and get riches!

*disclaimer* I'm aware there are good works that have been self published, but there are a lot of works that aren't so good too.

Lol.

Stop posting lines from my manuscript.

Quote Originally Posted by Fin View Post
    I doubt traditional publishers are going anywhere. Even if physical books cease to be made, the companies will most likely move to e-book publishing. Just like newspapers, they'll just move online. There's nothing to worry about.
    Most trade and indie publishers are already well into the ebook format. They're definitely not dumb.
    Has left the building.

Quote Originally Posted by Potty View Post
    "wpeugewi;ba;a;pdudi;pv!" Awesome, I've written my book... Why won't the publishers accept it?... They must be idiotz! I R gunna self publish and get riches!
    Hahah, anyone remember this guy? Or does that just make me plain mean?

I think it really depends on where a writer is in their career. Take Tom Clancy or JK Rowling as an example: They are well established and doing quite well with traditional publishers. For up and comers self publish is a more viable route than it was in the past and doesn't have quite the stigma it used too.
    MJ Preston is an Author and Artist at Large who hails from Canada.
    He is the author of the horror novel: Hidden Content and the Sci-fi thriller Hidden Content
    To learn more: visit: Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast