Rejection letter competition!

Read our latest author interview on Flashes >>HERE<< .

Page 1 of 22 12345678911 ... LastLast

Thread: Rejection letter competition!

Rejection letter competition!

So rather than get downhearted about all those rejection letters, let's have a competition to see who's got the most and give us all a chance to say horrible things about those agents and publishers who couldn't tell a good book if it bit them in the nuts.

I'm currently on...

Total submissions - 24

Rejections - 14

To the agent who couldn't even be bothered typing a rejection letter or even sending me a form rejection and instead sent back the cover letter I'd sent with a hand written scrawl across the top which I couldn't even read - learn to write! You'll be in my next book, and you will die horribly! Mwa-hahahahaha!

No answer - 9

Acceptance - 1

Spin off from my debut novel to be featured as the short story of the month on the website of Wyrd Books Publishing next January. In your face, rejection tray!

Come on people, vent your spleens!
    "If at first you don't succeed, aff wi' the bunnet, and in wi' the heid." - Old Glasgow proverb.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Watson View Post
    ...Acceptance - 1

Spin off from my debut novel to be featured as the short story of the month on the website of Wyrd Books Publishing next January. In your face, rejection tray!

Come on people, vent your spleens!
    Twenty four submissions and and you already have one of your works accepted? I'll vent my spleen by saying I'm impressed, and jealous.
    I'd be honest about my rejections, but even with my shoes off, I can't count that high.

Oh, and here's why your post caught my eye:

http://www.writingforums.com/publish...mpetition.html

My thread got hijacked by peeps being serious. A horrible death.

"Now let's all agree, never to be creative again."

Tremendous! I particulary liked the line "It was horrible, like watching a passenger train driven by monkeys speeding by."
    "If at first you don't succeed, aff wi' the bunnet, and in wi' the heid." - Old Glasgow proverb.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

I actually got a really nice rejection today.

Dear Potty,

Thank you for submitting “Rejection” to <magazine>. While we enjoyed reading it, we are going to pass on it for publication. We've seen this concept before and while it was well written, we don't feel its a good fit for us.

Best of luck with placing this story elsewhere.

Rejections: 76

Acceptances: 1

To date, I've submitted to exactly one-hundred literary magazines, each varying in prestige, etc. I sent them all about five months ago. The acceptance came last month, and the magazine featuring my work has since arrived in the post. The other twenty-three; well, I probably won't hear back at all. That 'batch' has proven successful though!

i just got the weirdest rejection letter i've received so far. i submitted a story, not really fully reading the submissions page.
    the editor came back and asked "exactly which anthology is this story submitted for?" so i go back and read the submissions page,
    see that i screwed up because the submissions had to be on 1 of 3 topics and email him back apologizing and telling him to please
    disregard my submission as it doesn't fit in with any of the 3 topics. he then writes back and says, "actually, i think i'd like to hang onto this,
    if you don't mind." i was like ok. cool. go for it. he then 2 days later (yesterday), sends me a rejection letter, but explains to me that
    he has reattached my story completely edited by him. he put it in a different font, different spacing, cleaned up a few grammatical
    and punctuation errors, changed paragraph structure in a place or 2. and then tells me good luck with this in other markets and looks forward
    to seeing more of my work. which i guess was nice of him because i never do rewrites, but i had never heard of an editor before who
    decides to take all that time editing a story he rejects. i was like....wtf?
    "Man, you should have seen them kicking Edgar Allan Poe.”

He must have seen the potential in you, young padawan. Still funny, though.

So far for me it's 4 rejections, 2 acceptances. Kind of fun, this publishing game.
    "The only calibration that counts is how much heart people invest, how much they ignore their fears of being hurt or caught out or humiliated. And the only thing people regret is that they didn't live boldly enough, that they didn't invest enough heart, didn't love enough. Nothing else really counts at all. It was a saying about noble figures in old Irish poems—he would give his hawk to any man that asked for it, yet he loved his hawk better than men nowadays love their bride of tomorrow. He would mourn a dog with more grief than men nowadays mourn their fathers.

And that's how we measure out our real respect for people—by the degree of feeling they can register, the voltage of life they can carry and tolerate—and enjoy.
    "

Live like a mighty river: a letter from Ted Hughes to his son, Nicholas

Hidden Content

Six submissions; six rejections.

But two of the rejections were actually personalized replies with positive feedback instead of the usual 'no thanks' - that always helps to take the sting out.

15 submissions
    7 rejections
    Some of them were like thanks, but no thanks. Others were like never give up, keep trying, good writing but not for me, blah, blah but I don't know if they mean it...

I love the way rejection letters are phrased. I have received two from a particular publication now, in which they claim to have read my work "carefully" (it is their form response)*. I picture an editor picking up the paper delicately, touching it as little as possible, maybe wearing protective gloves and goggles. Glancing over the first paragraph and then dropping the page in an incinerator with a little gasp of horror. Checking himself to see if he has been damaged or soiled in any way before he goes on to the next piece of toxic waste submitted for his perusal.

*This was a fully expected rejection -- it is a high-falutin' kinda journal -- and I require no consolation.

Page 1 of 22 12345678911 ... LastLast