WritingForums.com: like a testimony in progress

Page 1 of 13 12345678911 ... LastLast

Thread: WritingForums.com: like a testimony in progress

WritingForums.com: like a testimony in progress

This is like a testimony in progress, especially aimed at the newbies here who may become frustrated or
    disinterested for whatever reasons......
    I came here with only 2 short stories written......zero published. since being here and following the great criticisms
    i received on my works in "the workshop" from members like chris miller, jonm, tiamat10, kyle colorado and others
    ...plus the confidence building and gracious praise on submitted works from sunny, josh.townley and others...plus learning
    about sites like P&E and duotrope and other means to getting work published...not only have i written 2 more short stories,
    but am now over a 1/3 the way done with a novel.
    of the 4 short stories i've written, the 2 i wrote after learning what i have from this forum were accepted for publication
    fairly quickly. i wouldn't have changed my writing style a bit on those, if not for chris, jonm, and kyle. and today, the 1st
    story i ever wrote just got accepted, thanks to this site teaching me about duotrope and how to place it perfectly. i'm 3
    out of 4 now. ha.
    i just wanted to say that this site is great. this old dog may still have a few tricks left. one of the best decisions i ever
    made was finding this place and registering here.

And we do love positive feedback from members just like you! Huge congratulations, by the way, on getting published with three of your four stories. That's pretty awesome, so kudos to you. I'm pretty sure my statistics as somewhat poorer than yours.

Just to add my own experiences with this forum, I showed up here after having been unanimously rejected with the one novel I had written, as well as whatever stories I'd submitted up till that point. Again, to echo what dale said, if it wasn't for the wonderful help I received in the workshop from the members he mentioned (as well as many others, including, unfortunately, many of those no longer around), I'd still be where I was back then: unpublished and, frankly, a rather poor writer.

This website really is a beautiful thing.
    "People say I make strange choices, but they're not strange for me. My sickness is that I'm fascinated by human behavior, by what's underneath the surface, but the worlds inside people."
    -Johnny Depp

I came here with the intention of sharing my work to see where I could improve. Along with that, I learned a million and one things about the world of writing, all of which have contributed to me now being a published author.

That's the beauty of this site. If you can accept the constructive criticism and apply it, where necessary, to your work, you will become a better writer because of it. Just remember to not agree 100% with the person or 100% against them. Find a happy medium. Learn to take their advice when needed, and to stick to your guns when you believe in what you've written. That will come with time.
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

"One morning I shot an elephant in my pyjamas. How he got into my pyjamas I'll never know." ~ Groucho Marx.

"It is better to be feared than loved, if one cannot be both". ~ Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince.

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer". ~ Bruce Lee.

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's mind there are few". ~ Shunryu Suzuki.

"Give a man a mask and he will show you his true face". ~ Oscar Wilde.

"He who learns but does not think is lost; he who thinks but does not learn is in great danger". ~ Confucius.

Three out of four, huh? That is awesome, dale. Congrats on the publishing success.
    "The only calibration that counts is how much heart people invest, how much they ignore their fears of being hurt or caught out or humiliated. And the only thing people regret is that they didn't live boldly enough, that they didn't invest enough heart, didn't love enough. Nothing else really counts at all. It was a saying about noble figures in old Irish poems—he would give his hawk to any man that asked for it, yet he loved his hawk better than men nowadays love their bride of tomorrow. He would mourn a dog with more grief than men nowadays mourn their fathers.

And that's how we measure out our real respect for people—by the degree of feeling they can register, the voltage of life they can carry and tolerate—and enjoy.
    "

Live like a mighty river: a letter from Ted Hughes to his son, Nicholas

Hidden Content

Awesome, Dale!

It's a testament to your own abilities, as well. You've taken the feedback you were given and assimilated it quickly into your writing. That's a skill not everyone is capable of doing in such a short amount of time.

What's your novel about? Just curious!

I've also been helped tremendously by everyone mentioned in the OP, as well as many others. Lots of great minds here. Mmm. Delicious, squishy brains...

Quote Originally Posted by KyleColorado View Post
    Awesome, Dale!

It's a testament to your own abilities, as well. You've taken the feedback you were given and assimilated it quickly into your writing. That's a skill not everyone is capable of doing in such a short amount of time.

What's your novel about? Just curious!

I've also been helped tremendously by everyone mentioned in the OP, as well as many others. Lots of great minds here. Mmm. Delicious, squishy brains...
    thanks, kyle..and everyone else on the thread. i don't even like to go into the novel here anymore. i put a couple chapters
    up and it has evolved from that substantially..but i think the content made people uncomfortable. my wife tells me no publisher is
    going to touch it because of the subject matter...but...as sam w said...sometimes you just got to ignore the critics and write it.

but back on topic...yeah...this site has some great minds here.
    Last edited by dale; June 23rd, 2012 at 07:59 PM.

i guess i'll bump this to gloat a bit. i now have no unpublished stories written. The "Midwest Literary Magazine" just accepted
    that final one this morning. so i'm 4 out of 4 now. 100%. woot-woot. time for a snoopy dance............

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snoopy-dance-5317_preview.gif 
Views:	5694 
Size:	16.5 KB 
ID:	2969
    "Man, you should have seen them kicking Edgar Allan Poe.”

I would have to agree. This site is an amazing asset and resource for any writers that are serious about progressing their skill-set and learning something new, while having fun and interacting with others that have similar interests.
    Critique and ye shall be critiqued.
    Aurora: Hidden Content

...great guns Dale, wishing you ever more success.
    golden streak splits the distant horizon
    magnificent explosion of dazzling light
    stunning, defiant
    ...daybreak, and life is simply awesome
    - ian m.g. smith (2011)

Page 1 of 13 12345678911 ... LastLast