WritingForums.com: like a testimony in progress - Page 2

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891012 ... LastLast

Thread: WritingForums.com: like a testimony in progress

a lesson learned........well, i had the 4 stories accepted....but this last week, 2 of those publications shut down before mine was scheduled for print.
    but it might have worked for the best on one of those, because someone else was wanting it, after i had already signed a contract with the place
    that shut down....so i emailed them back on it and the editor said she remembered the story and still wanted it. and where it's goin now will actually
    put it in a printed anthology i can stick on my shelf. but......the lesson learned is: don't celebrate too soon. next time i'll wait until the story is actually
    released before i started prancing around about it.
    "Man, you should have seen them kicking Edgar Allan Poe.”

This thread makes me wanna run a marathon.

just finished my 1st longer work last night. a novella of 21,000 words. that was a long, grueling process but well worth it
    now that it's finished. i'm actually quite proud of it. it's pretty twisted. i'd put it in the workshop, but i think a story of that length
    is a bit too much for people to want to read on a glaring computer screen. now, on to finishing the full length novel i've had on the
    back burner for months. woot-woot.

dale, accepted for publication is still a win; enjoy it for that*.
    Seeing your work in print, that's gold! Worth every second of sweat and concern.

Congratulations, dale, and may you power on to more milestones.

*I've had a similar experience: accepted but never made print (as far as I know).

As for the novella:
    Rather than posting entire long works, I'd encourage people to post excerpts. Focus on a section or two that doesn't quite ring the bell but where a solution is elusive.
    Last edited by Cran; December 7th, 2012 at 05:00 PM.
    "I don't know ... I'm making it up as I go ..." - Dr I Jones

Nature abhors perfection - cats abhor a vacuum!

"Faith can move mountains - she's a big girl!" (unknown/graffiti)

If I act like I own the place, it's because I did.

WTG, Dale! Love hearing of your successes (even though a couple publications folded, that's out of your control) and the path you've been on.

I wanted to mention that even if you don't find acceptance with one publisher or another for your novel that doesn't mean that it'll never find acceptance somewhere. You probably already know that, though.

It's true that the Writer's Workshop has always been helpful for me and we have some really fantastic writers who hang out there and critique.

Thanks for the positive report! I agree with the person who said this makes them feel like running a marathon. Maybe success is contagious.
    What comes after the NaPo storm of poetry?
    Get ready for the
    May 2021 Collaborator Challenge.

Send your potential partner a fruit basket and start begging!

Congrats on finishing the novella, dale. It's a great feeling.
    "The only calibration that counts is how much heart people invest, how much they ignore their fears of being hurt or caught out or humiliated. And the only thing people regret is that they didn't live boldly enough, that they didn't invest enough heart, didn't love enough. Nothing else really counts at all. It was a saying about noble figures in old Irish poems—he would give his hawk to any man that asked for it, yet he loved his hawk better than men nowadays love their bride of tomorrow. He would mourn a dog with more grief than men nowadays mourn their fathers.

And that's how we measure out our real respect for people—by the degree of feeling they can register, the voltage of life they can carry and tolerate—and enjoy.
    "

Live like a mighty river: a letter from Ted Hughes to his son, Nicholas

Hidden Content

Congrats Dale, it does feel good doesn't it?
    Agree with you regarding this place, some wonderful people and a good sprinkling of loonies to boot.
    Long may that continue.

Quote Originally Posted by Cran View Post

*I've had a similar experience: accepted but never made print (as far as I know).
    That isn't at all unusual, especially when you're talking about larger-circulation periodicals. I've sold stories to most of the slicks and haven't had my own byline in them yet. After a while of delayed publication dates, things get lost. I had it happen with the same story at the same magazine with two different editors (George Scithers and Gardner Dozois).
    But I cheerfully cashed the checks and will wait until the rights revert and resubmit. That one story will go to F&SF the next time
    Hidden Content
    "From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx

1st time i've landed in a printed book. i didn't make any money on it, but at least it's something i can hold and put on a bookshelf.
    my story in this anthology is called "The Gospel of Pilate". i once put it up in the workshop here, before it got accepted for publication....

Hell: James Ward Kirk, William Cook, A. B. Stephens, Timothy Frazier, Paula D. Ashe, David Frazier, Matthew Wilson, Scott Frederick Hargrave, Christopher Hivner, A. D. Moore, Clint Smith, Chantal Noordeloos, Ron Koppleberger, Paul DeThroe, Ken Goldma

Quote Originally Posted by dale View Post
    just finished my 1st longer work last night. a novella of 21,000 words. that was a long, grueling process but well worth it
    now that it's finished. i'm actually quite proud of it. it's pretty twisted. i'd put it in the workshop, but i think a story of that length
    is a bit too much for people to want to read on a glaring computer screen. now, on to finishing the full length novel i've had on the
    back burner for months. woot-woot.
    woot-woot. my novella just got accepted by a small book publisher. another mission accomplished. it's not slotted for release
    until may of 2014, though. so i guess i'll have to wait until then to receive the highly coveted and prestigious writingforums.com
    "published author award". ha ha. also hoping i can get it reviewed by Motley Press then also.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891012 ... LastLast