Finding an agent

Thread: Finding an agent

Finding an agent

When working with a friend of mine about finding an agent, I ran across these websites and I thought I would share them.

AgentQuery :: Find the Agent Who Will Find You a Publisher

Free Database of Literary Agents and Publishers - Query Letter Statistics - QueryTracker.net

I played around with it a bit, and what I found helpful is to find what agent a particular author uses (someone who's genre and style are close to mine) on querytracker then find their full profile on agentquery. It's always a good idea to have a few places picked out to send your work when you're ready. Hope this helps someone

Thanks, Squidtender, I am on the hunt myself, and can proudly display my rejection letters to prove it! I will check this info out and hope for better results.

Thanks again!

CB

Will be accessing the suggested links soon. I have been published before and it was a best seller but it was non-fiction (medical).

I hope I get lucky in the fiction arena as well.

thanks. got the 1st one bookmarked. hope to begin looking for one in autumn.

I haven't even started looking for an agent because I am too scared someone is going to steal my work. I don't know if my fear is unfounded or if it is a legitimate concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Keatep View Post
    I haven't even started looking for an agent because I am too scared someone is going to steal my work. I don't know if my fear is unfounded or if it is a legitimate concern.
    No one is going to steal your work. Doing so would ruin an agent's career and is not worth the risk. This is one of the most common, and most baseless, fears new writers have. There is nothing to worry about.
    “Fools” said I, “You do not know
    Silence like a cancer grows
    Hear my words that I might teach you
    Take my arms that I might reach you”
    But my words like silent raindrops fell
    And echoed in the wells of silence : Simon & Garfunkel

Those who enjoy stirring the chamber-pot should be required to lick the spoon.

Our job as writers is to make readers dream, to infiltrate their minds with our words and create a new reality; a reality not theirs, and not ours, but a new, unique combination of both.

Visit Amazon and the Kindle Store to check out Reflections in a Black Mirror, and Chase

Hidden Content

Intellectual copyright laws protect the specific and unique way your idea is expressed as soon as it is down on paper. Don't be nervous, certainly not enough to sell yourself short and miss out on progressing your career.

Best of luck!

And thanks for the links

I've worried about this as well. However like most of the replies I believe it is just the conspiracy paranoid person inside of me that drives this thought. Honestly it would be very hard to steal anyone's work because writing is a process. It's not like you wrote that book story overnight and there is only one copy. There are probably tons of copies, both written and digital along the way that under the craziest of circumstances could prove that you are the writer and not someone who just stole the work (agent or otherwise). I always email myself a copy of what I have written about every ten pages or so. I do this for two reasons. First to make sure I have a safe copy (other than backed up on a jump drive and a cloud..remember I'm paranoid) and two so that I can see the evolution of my story and writing. It's nice to be able to see a hard copy from six months ago and know how much better it is now or in some sad cases worse!

Thanks for the helpful links..not ready for that step yet, but it's nice to know that when I am, there they are!!

I use QueryTracker and it's quite helpful! I also recommend Writer's Marketplace.

I found my agent cold-querying through the listings on agentquery, so the process does work.

It's also useful to know things about the agent you're trying for. If he or she has a blog, you should definitely read it to see what the person is like. There may be tips and advice, posts about things in a query letter that would result in automatic rejection.