Cure for writers block - Page 9

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Cure for writers block

I'd suggest you pick any area of Leonides' life that interests you and write about that-- any area at all. You have some rich material to work with. You could write about his getting to have a second wife. You could write about his half-brother's insanity. You could write about his head being put on display. You could write about Apollo's oracle at Delphi and the ambiguity of that prophecy. (I love ancient Greek culture so it was a pleasure for me to quick review Leonides to suggest some areas you might start writing about.) Once you have a few sections finished then you can begin putting it all together in more of a novel form. (I do a bit of writing about the Greek gods too. I'm also particularly interested in Socrates and Aspasia, his courtesan friend.)
    Free Download of My Chapbook: Flash Fiction: A Primer
    Hidden Content

Free FlashFictionFlash newsletter (filled with flash literature markets, contests). Send a blank message to Hidden Content (include the plus sign before "subscribe" in the address). Or go to Hidden Content and follow instructions there.

HI, I've been similarly stuck for the past few weeks because I was dreading the subject I had to write about. So I thought past it and wrote that, thought of some of the action that's happening at the same time and wrote that, and little by little I'm building back to the place that I'm stuck and feeling less stuck. Kind of chipping away at it like a sculpture.
    Also, I've found that writing dialog really helps.
    Have Leonidas in conversation with his love and see where it goes, even if you don't use it.

Going to the gym and walking is always nice.

Go grab a beer (or a non-alcoholic one).

Discussing with other people regarding the problem of your story, plot or your story in general. Sometimes people just say something that rings in your head like a, 'Ahhaa!'

Thanks for this tip. I am going through writers block now and it is good to try something new.

Most of the times when I experience a block, I've found it's because there's something about the upcoming part of my project that I'm not as interested in writing; a scene that I anticipate will be boring or workmanlike. Since I always write consecutively, these are the times where I dig down and work out what my issues are exactly, and either remove the scene, spice it up, or incorporate whatever about it was necessary into the next scene on the outline that actually excites me.

Try this if it helps you. Conflict is about opposing worldviews and beliefs. For example a capitalist society versus mother nature is a very strong conflict that will go on for pages and pages. Who stands to profit from the poor? The rich? And so on. I am working on the first one but anyways if you can imagine a character this way by all means try it. If you ever seek craft advice try to get it on character if possible. I am not saying I am an authority. Plot is useless without character. Character is plot if that makes sense. I used to focus so much energy on other people's explanations on plot. I hope the character alone will help me write a story. But you see a character can be personified by these belief systems, values, such as an unwilling banker and maybe their quest is at odds with a world filled with forests. The world is being reconstructed. It's all about perspective in this case. In the example I am giving. A character inspires more than plot. Beliefs can be like philosophies, anything that helps shape the character or wounds can be thought as beliefs. This last part I confess is my opinion on how to start it. Spirituality versus materialism is an old conflict. But it works. These are belief systems externalized in poems in part and in culture and in every waking moment a person decides to pen their thoughts on these. They have a lot of depth as well to be explored in a story. Imperialism versus? It's easy when you think up these ideas. I know putting these philosophies in practice is worth a try.
    Last edited by Theglasshouse; November 7th, 2020 at 05:24 AM.
    I would follow as in believe in the words of good moral leaders. Rather than the beliefs of oneself.
    The most difficult thing for a writer to comprehend is to experience silence, so speak up. (quoted from a member)

A professor I had decades ago said that we should all keep a journal. In it, write about nonsense stuff - what you had for dinner, the weather, your neighborhood, politics, etc., even if all you jot down is a single sentence. This keeps the writing habit going during an uninspired spell. Give it time, and your enthusiasm will return.

Quote Originally Posted by indianroads View Post
    A professor I had decades ago said that we should all keep a journal. In it, write about nonsense stuff - what you had for dinner, the weather, your neighborhood, politics, etc., even if all you jot down is a single sentence. This keeps the writing habit going during an uninspired spell. Give it time, and your enthusiasm will return.
    I have a guide on journaling. I reckon I will give it a try. It's by tristine rainer. How do you personally approach it? For example you can list what gives you joy and happiness when experienced, things that irritate you, table of contents autobiography (she has a section on writing memories such as a diary), list of beliefs I once had, beliefs I no longer have, to do list, upset list, things I am afraid off, things desired that make you genuinely happy, lists of virtues and flaws (based on ben franklin's puritan values) and how you cope with each (I assume she wants a writer to write how others cope with it, example Benjamin Franklin did it in one of his important books and autobiography sort of like a spiritual guide, example practice honesty), transgressions, failings. There is more and I haven't been close to finishing the book. Lists is the easiest of them to apply. She gives examples. The book with lists is just one chapter.

https://www.amazon.com/New-Diary-Sel...SKCDQ&qid=&sr=

BTW I dont own the kindle version but it got released and revised due to co-vid 19 according to the author and right now it costs 1 dollar. I'll try to order the digital version tonight. But I own the physical copy already. I haven't gotten serious into studying it. Dsylexia can make it more difficult to concentrate as does my sickness and on top of that attention deficit disorder.

This was has been a favorite of many so-called honest reviewers on goodread.

One kind of journaling is also description. There's more obviously and I need to keep reading but that is a very short summary of some contents. Admittedly, the journaling of description was when you could travel safely to anywhere doing things without coronavirus being a problem.
    Last edited by Theglasshouse; November 7th, 2020 at 08:29 PM.
    I would follow as in believe in the words of good moral leaders. Rather than the beliefs of oneself.
    The most difficult thing for a writer to comprehend is to experience silence, so speak up. (quoted from a member)

The no-mans land between the cold city and suburbia.
    The best cure for writer's block is to quit writing and take up another hobby,

Quote Originally Posted by TheManx View Post
    The best cure for writer's block is to quit writing and take up another hobby,
    That involves a person's willingness to quit. In my circumstances writing is a cheap hobby that can be practiced. It's bad imo to discourage people who try hard.