Cure for writers block - Page 8

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Cure for writers block

Quote Originally Posted by Chainspell View Post
    It's not exactly a cure, per se, but it is a workaround I've started using when I want to get past something with the intent of getting back to it later.

Let's say I have to write an action scene, instead of struggling through writing it, I'll do something like this:

*A starts sword fight with B. It's a close fight but A wins in the end.*

Then I move on to the next part. Writing what happens immediately after often makes it easier for me to loop back around and fill in what stopped me before.
    Yep, I have done this before. Mark the spot and come back when I have it fleshed out.

Quote Originally Posted by ScarletM.Sinclaire View Post
    I NEED to try this. I'm at 55k...haven't written anything in a month now. When i first started writing this book I was ECSTATIC. it's all I ever thought about for about 5 months even while writing it. Now I'm less excited about it and trying to muddle my way through and push through this blah feeling. I'll try this when I get home.

Don't let that book stall you forever. Move onto something else if you are stuck. You will either figure out how to proceed, or abandon the story. Either way, by the time you figure it out you'll have 20k towards a new book.
    After all, the first 200k you write is just practice. So if that first book is a stillborn, move on and have another, but don't let it stop you from writing altogether.

My cure for writer's block: First either open the manuscript you're stalled on and read the last page of it, or start a new one and write one sentence or at least a couple of words, even if it's only "My New Story" at this point.

Then jump up and down, hop around the room, beat on the table, somersault down the hall, jump on the bed, etc. Be sure to bounce around enough to get your heart rate up and your blood flowing. If anyone is watching, they should think you are insane.

Then sit down and write. I have no idea why this works for me but it does. Try it! :p
    Story Prompts That Work Hidden Content
    Writing Flash Fiction: How to Write Very Short Stories and Get Them Published Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by squidtender View Post
    I've seen many posts about writers block and a general lack of enthusiasm that seems to happen to all of us half way through a story (especially the longer ones). So, I have a trick that I use and I thought I might pass it on. When I start a new novel, I find a few songs that I think go good with the type of story it is. My current novel is a hybrid of action and horror, so I used Drowning Pool's "bodies" and DMX's "Party up", both of which worked well for certain scenes in my story. When I feel the midway blahs (usually about 50-60k words), or anytime I need to make myself excited for writing the story, I listen to these two songs. I try not to listen to them very often, because the more you hear it, the less it has an effect, but about once a week is a good number. Music is great for triggering memories, and if you can associate certain songs with how excited you are at the begining of your work, then that will help when you feel like giving up on it. I hope this trick helps some of you, the way it's helped me

This is a great idea. I'll have to try it.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678