Cure for writers block - Page 7

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Cure for writers block

@David Gordon Burke -- I found that writing longhand is effective, as well. But I gave it up when I sat down to type all of it on the PC. The tedium of it was magnificent.

I use photographs to inspire me and overcome the 'ideas block' (I won't call it writer's block). Last year I completed #NaPoWriMo. The fact I was focused on writing 30 poems in 30 days really helped as well! Try it.
    Check out our showcase
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    or check out my personal blog, Hidden Content

[Please note that what follows is my view based on either experience or observation. I am not an expert in the psychology of motivation, procrastination or depression.]

I don't believe that there is a 'cure' for writer's block. I think that there are various treatments for it - treatments that follow along the same lines as for procrastination, lack of motivation, and perhaps depression. In fact - I believe that there are times when Writer's Block is more akin to fatigue. At least in my experience.

We are motivated to write for any number of reasons. It's fairly clear that we should at least understand our own motivations. When Writer's Block sets in, it (in my opinion) indicates a blockage in either motivation, or a loss of a clear sense of purpose. I know that I sometimes say to myself, "This is going nowhere. What's the point?" or "I can't figure a way out of this plot hole. It's wearing me down," or "I'm staring at this screen and nothing is coming."

Under those circumstances, I feel that my brain is begging for a rest. If it was playing a musical instrument, then I'd try to play some scales for practice. Sometimes that even feels pointless because it is not creative in the moment. I think that we sometimes burn out for a while, and need to focus on something else. So what do I do?

I set my work aside and do something else. Maybe see a movie, read a few chapters of a book, take a drive out to the country or spend a few days visiting with family. Anything that is not specifically attached to writing. Anything that gives that part of me a rest until inspiration hits. And it does - inspiration grabs hold and I have to write something in my journal, or a feeling emerges that I need to express, of that friggin' plot hole suddenly becomes clear as a sunny day.

But I don't think there is a 'cure' for Writer's Block - only situational therapy, so to speak. Indeed, if the problem is associated with an emerging depression, then it may be a matter of talking with someone, in sharing what is going on in our minds. In my experience, most times it means that I need to take a break and change my routine for a while.

Curing writer's block depends on the source of your blockage. Personally mine is almost always a decision intersection. It's because I am at a point where I can go left or right, but have not yet worked out the equation to make sure they both get to the same point I'm aiming. In other words, I'm not really blocked; just worried about writing a hundred pages that'll have to be deleted when I realize I just painted myself into a corner. I do the same with other projects like model building.

So for me the perfect solution is to have multiple projects. When I get blocked on one, I put it on the back burner while my subconscious mind unravels the equation (the subconscious mind is much more powerful than the conscious mind.) While that story is fermenting, I write on the other project (until I become blocked there). By the time I come back I have usually worked out the minutia and am ready to pick up where I left off.

I have also experimented with music and found that it works best [for me] if I use music that I have heard a million times. The familiarity of the music works like a metronome for me.
    But if I use music I recently discovered, I am slightly distracted because I wanna groove to those jams. I read recently that listening to music while multitasking can diminish your system resources by as much as 10 IQ points.
    And I usually listen to NO music while editing. I need to be able to hear the words in my head.

I NEED to try this. I'm at 55k...haven't written anything in a month now. When i first started writing this book I was ECSTATIC. it's all I ever thought about for about 5 months even while writing it. Now I'm less excited about it and trying to muddle my way through and push through this blah feeling. I'll try this when I get home.

Different strokes for different folks.

Look at what was going on when you were writing well and see if there are any physical differences. Sometimes diet changes can impact writing, for example. I write best when there's activity around. I can't change my neighbors, but I can play music or a show to simulate that. Yes, music with words works better for me. As I said, different strokes... Sometimes it's something that can't be fixed, like when my computer died and couldn't be repaired. I HATE the replacement. I'm still working on how to adapt to it.

Sometimes you just aren't sure where the story should go next. Finding a friend to take a walk with you and kick around ideas (brainstorming) can be helpful. If I do this, I have to avoid deciding on a course of action while still with my friend or I'll be tempted to talk it out instead of write it out.

Ok, this will sound rude. I often sound rude.
    My advice: Get a life.

Am I wrong that writers now seem to live in front of their monitors? Live within themselves? How creative can that be? The brain needs to be fed. Hemingway knew how to feed his. Wasn't by being in front of his typewriter, either. He even went and took a bullet. So, ok, you don't want to do that, but do something unusual for you, maybe with unusual people. "Do" is an action word.

I love to listen to music that... sounds like my book. When I'm having a hard time focusing I do find that turning on my book playlist brings me back into the right mindset.

I find listening to music helps and taking long walks in nature works wonders

It's not exactly a cure, per se, but it is a workaround I've started using when I want to get past something with the intent of getting back to it later.

Let's say I have to write an action scene, instead of struggling through writing it, I'll do something like this:

*A starts sword fight with B. It's a close fight but A wins in the end.*

Then I move on to the next part. Writing what happens immediately after often makes it easier for me to loop back around and fill in what stopped me before.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast