Cure for writers block - Page 5

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Cure for writers block

For awhile now I've been writing late at night and into the wee hours of the morning, like 10-10:30 to even sometimes 1:30-2:00 AM at the "latest." Or as I like to say when my parents ask if I stayed up late: "I also stayed up pretty early." However I sleep in-but that's not the point-my writer's block is practically non-existent, though I usually get a bit burned out after awhile, and that's when I sleep. I wouldn't recommend this if you're a busy person here in the summer because you have to make up by sleeping in late.

Why do it so late? Because at least in my area, it's very quiet. Certainly in my house. I just prefer not to write during the day becuase there's too much commotion sometimes, and especially in the later afternoon when mom and dad come home from work and radios go on, paper grocery bags are being loudly folded, sinks are being turned on and off, people are talking, etc. Besides, the daytime is when i tend to come up with more ideas and get inspirations.
    But knowing times of trouble, and the devils they may bring,
    are only thwarted by his will to fight, he raised his mighty wings.
    Prepared for war, thus guarding peace; for liberty, his love,
    he shall deliver unto evil: death, dealt swiftly from above

Two in the morning? I call that "an afternoon nap".

I don't know why I call it that. It's nothing like an afternoon nap. Anyway, point is, 2am isn't particularly grueling when it comes to late nights. It's when you get up at 6 in the morning, pull an all-nighter the next night, and then continue on until 5 in the morning two days later that you start to get an idea of what tired feels like.

(it feels pretty gnarly)

Quote Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
    I'm the odd duck, I guess. Music totally destroys my concentration; television in the background, however, is my white noise. The mumble of voices is preferable to anything with a rhythm to it.
    I'm in the same category.

Quote Originally Posted by Elowan View Post
    I'm in the same category.
    As am I. I turn on the TV to something I've seen a bunch of times and set it to a low volume. I can't stand perfect silence. Drives me crazy. Music distracts me.

We should all start a club! Our theme song will be a television program!

As for my cure: Pushing through it. I write anyway. I will write anything, absolutely anything. I'll write about what's sitting on my coffee table. Write a to-do list (with snide comments about each chore). Write a movie review. One time, I couldn't think of anything so I just wrote the alphabet and tried to think of of as many words as I knew that started with each letter. Pushin' through it
    Last edited by Omi; July 14th, 2013 at 08:25 PM. Reason: language

Quote Originally Posted by Staff Deployment View Post
    Two in the morning? I call that "an afternoon nap".

I don't know why I call it that. It's nothing like an afternoon nap. Anyway, point is, 2am isn't particularly grueling when it comes to late nights. It's when you get up at 6 in the morning, pull an all-nighter the next night, and then continue on until 5 in the morning two days later that you start to get an idea of what tired feels like.

(it feels pretty gnarly)

My point is, 2 AM probably is pretty late, relative to the time I imagine most people write.
    Last edited by Angelwing; July 15th, 2013 at 06:50 AM. Reason: watch out, we got a BA over here
    But knowing times of trouble, and the devils they may bring,
    are only thwarted by his will to fight, he raised his mighty wings.
    Prepared for war, thus guarding peace; for liberty, his love,
    he shall deliver unto evil: death, dealt swiftly from above

My solution usually involves me getting out and watching people going on with their lives. I would go to a cafe, a busy shopping centre or simply spend half an hour in the Underground, enjoying the sight of all those people trying to get to wherever they are going to. It's like a small universe in itself and can do miracles for your creativity.

Stop believing it exists.

After a long, repetitive, cyclic struggle with past and present WIPs, I have decided to side with Sam, who I believe was the first to mention the concept to me; there is no such thing as writer's block. There is writing, and there is not writing. There is thinking about writing, which is not writing. There is planning to write, which is not writing. There is studying one's writing, which is not writing. There is trying to write, which is not writing. Writing is writing. Not writing is not writing. We are always able to write something - whether we choose to or not determines the outcome of the time we spend sitting in front of a notepad/typewriter/computer without an internet connection. Believing there is a force at work that you have to dispel for you to be able to be effective creative is balderdash - the very belief harms the craft. Can't write something? Yes you can. Maybe you can't write it well, but you can still write it.

If you can't write something good, then write something bad. But you can always write something.
    Sleep is for the weak, or sleep is for a week.
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    I write about anime and internet culture at Hidden Content

I listen to musi while writing as well. It really does help the creative juices flow.

Blog Entries
    Bear in mind I've only been writing for three years, so I would not put too much emphasis on my words...

There have been three or four occasions when I've sat down to write and felt clueless as to where to go next... The awful contrast with yesterday, where your fingers struggled to keep up with your imagination is stark. - The first time it happened, I tried to 'force' words out to bypass the blockage... It didn't make for inspirational prose...

The solution I stumbled on (I did a lot of stumbling) was to delete the preceding day's work and rewrite it. What appeared to be my issue is that the 'organic' flow of the story had entered a cul de sac, and rather than try to clear the blockage, I'd reverse up a little way and take a different route. - Now I do appreciate that this will not work for everyone, or perhaps it only works for me, but I tend not to plot so a reversal and change of direction doesn't really impact me in any major way.

I think I'd probably post here first in future. - There are some very knowledgeable and helpful people.

There are some very useful advices here that I will definitely try out, though a television in the background is a big no-no for me.

From my personal experience, I find it easier to write about my characters if I can picture how they look. I admit that imagination alone is not always helpful for that purpose and I had to browse the web a couple (gazillion) times to find photos or pictures that struck home. So when I find myself sitting and staring at my screen, unable to put two words together, I open the folder with all the pictures and let the characters stare back at me. Every time the block seems to go away after that.

For example, one of the characters in the novel I am writing now looks (in my head) like Khan from Star Trek Into Darkness. I have a little .gif file of that character saying his famous "Now, shall we begin?" words to Spoke. I play it to myself a couple times before I start writing - works like a charm.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast