Cure for writers block - Page 2

Submit your creative works to Flashes >>HERE<< .

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Cure for writers block

When I was young and still reporting from the field I discovered that when the 105 quit firing for ten or 15 minutes I was able to think better and make notes with a steadier hand because the ground wasn't shaking. Unfortunately the orchestra was never there with us so we had no music, as such, but small arms fire with the occasional 'thump' of the mortar kept us all entertained. The effect could be spoiled if someone next to you suddenly died, but that normally proved to be only a momentary distraction.

If you are intent on your writing, what goes on around you, pleasant or not, should have little impact on whether or not you continue to put one word after another. If music helps, fine, but it should not be needed. In the field you learn that there is no such thing as writer's block.
    El día ha sido bueno. La noche será larga.

I've found that the best cure for writer's block is to stop whining and start pounding away at the keyboard. Sure, you might end up with what corn looks like the day after you've eaten it, but at least you have a starting point.

However, I tend to use music to get myself in the mood as well. Case in point, a few weeks back, I was struggling with a romantic scene in my novel (I'm crap at writing those), so I put Apocalyptica's "Romance" on repeat for about fifteen minutes before writing the scene. It seems to have worked; I'm pleased with how it came out.
    "People say I make strange choices, but they're not strange for me. My sickness is that I'm fascinated by human behavior, by what's underneath the surface, but the worlds inside people."
    -Johnny Depp

I can certainly attest to the truth in this. I'd never made the connection between the music I'm listening to and the writing I'm doing.
    Now I can't help but think about it.

As always, kids, your mileage may vary. Some people might prefer to relax with a white noise machine (sounds like surf). I'll put on music, but if I slip into the zone, I don't listen to it, it's just ambiance.

One thing that stops me cold is a television. It's like a cloud of stupid spreading across the room. As soon as you get a whiff, any ideas you were entertaining will pack up and go to Porlock.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickleby View Post
    As always, kids, your mileage may vary. Some people might prefer to relax with a white noise machine (sounds like surf). I'll put on music, but if I slip into the zone, I don't listen to it, it's just ambiance.

One thing that stops me cold is a television. It's like a cloud of stupid spreading across the room. As soon as you get a whiff, any ideas you were entertaining will pack up and go to Porlock.
    I'm the odd duck, I guess. Music totally destroys my concentration; television in the background, however, is my white noise. The mumble of voices is preferable to anything with a rhythm to it.
    Has left the building.

I also can't write with music playing, unless it is some mood instrumental stuff with no words. I'm a huge fan of Relaxing ambient sounds, listen, create and download while I write though. It's a great way to drown out the real world and set the mood for whatever type of stuff you're writing.

Writer's block? Keep writing. I also use visualization techniques to keep me flowing. I know someone who imagines themselves in a barrel floating toward a huge waterfall continuously... never reach it. For some reason, train wheels do it for me. I think I can... I think I can... and I usually do.

Quote Originally Posted by Morkonan View Post
    The term "Focus Music" has started to gain attention in pop-culture. A Google of "Focus Music" will likely turn up a lot of pieces of music that people listen to when studying or attempting to solve creative problems. For myself, I listen only to "Focus Music" that does not have lyrics and I frequently find myself creating new ideas for stories or for solutions to writing problems when I'm spending long hours traveling and listening to focus music.
    Couldn't find something suitable on google, unfortunately.

Personally I put DeadMau5 on infinite shuffle / repeat. All of his songs are so similar that they kind of blend together. On some of his albums he even blends them together for you, in like an hour-long track.
    Of course the music is kind of bland, but I don't think it matters too much. I use it as background ambience and it's pretty good. Not perfect, but good.

One word answer: Read.

Music for me is much distraction, I get carried away. I usually write when I get inspiration but my being able to write these 40,000 words i have done so far is an indication I will write a lot. I love being indoor too,boredom makes me pound into my keyboard. Also reading through posts on WF gives me a lot of enthusiasm.

Stealth
    Hidden Content

The best thing, in my mind anyway, is to converse with other writers/people.

Just recently I managed to help Potty do parts of his story, just because we were spitballing to each other.
    As we must account for every idle word, so must we account for every idle silence. - Benjamin Franklin

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence
    consists in breaking the enemys resistance without fighting. - Sun Tzu

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast