What are you reading now? - Page 240

Page 240 of 241 FirstFirst ... 40140190230232233234235236237238239240241 LastLast
Results 2,391 to 2,400 of 2406

Thread: What are you reading now?

Neuromancer, William Gibson, takes a bit of getting into for an oldie like me, not bad, more violence than is my taste and page 123 and I stil don't seem to be getting anywhere, lots of colourful characters and background, not much plot.
    \/ Can you get YouTube? \/

My stories, from just over two minutes to just over sixteen minutes long,
    Hidden Content

Come and listen, there are hours of them, of all sorts from humour to SF.

Please mention it to your friends, this is the only advertisement I can afford, and word of mouth is the best advert ever.

For those who facebook, I have created a user page that the stories get copied over to, look for, Oliver Buckle, The Story Shack, and please give me a "like"

Wild by Cheryl Strayed, an absorbing memoir, takes the reader on a vivid journey of body and mind on the Pacific Crest Trail, over 1100 miles. 26-year old Cheryl's impulsive decision to undertake this hike comes during a period of intense self-search, loss of family, break ups and a sense of rootlessness.
    Last edited by Neetu; January 12th, 2021 at 02:05 AM.
    ​Morii

Quote Originally Posted by Olly Buckle View Post
    Neuromancer, William Gibson, takes a bit of getting into for an oldie like me, not bad, more violence than is my taste and page 123 and I stil don't seem to be getting anywhere, lots of colourful characters and background, not much plot.
    It's a tough book to get into, I started it once but got distracted by something else and never returned.

I also finished reading another beautiful book recently titled Circling the Sun. It is a fictionalized story of a real woman (more dramatized than in her own memoir but follows the people and events in her life fairly closely), Beryl Markham, one of the first women to become a renowned race-horse trainer and later a pilot. She was again among the first women to fly solo from England to New York, making it close to, but not into New York. The story reveals the strong, passionate, and courageous character of Beryl who was white and from Britain, but raised in Kenya. The novel explores and depicts life in post WWI Kenya through Beryl's life and the many people who shaped it.
    Last edited by Neetu; January 12th, 2021 at 05:59 AM.
    ​Morii

I'm one of those kind of people who often has multiple books going at once.

I'm listening to "The Final Empire (Mistborn #1)" by Brandon Sanderson as an audiobook
    I'm reading "The Windup Girl" by Paolo Bacigalupi (fiction) and "Quantum Field Theory for the Gifted Amateur" by Tom Lancaster & Stephen J. Blundell (nonfiction)

I am enjoying all three so far, which is refreshing after getting through a few stinkers prior to this.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cynical Philosopher View Post
    I'm one of those kind of people who often has multiple books going at once.

I'm listening to "The Final Empire (Mistborn #1)" by Brandon Sanderson as an audiobook
    I'm reading "The Windup Girl" by Paolo Bacigalupi (fiction) and "Quantum Field Theory for the Gifted Amateur" by Tom Lancaster & Stephen J. Blundell (nonfiction)

I am enjoying all three so far, which is refreshing after getting through a few stinkers prior to this.
    Yes, me too. I've also read the Windup Girl, very interesting novel.

I think I would like to read that one, too. Did you like it?
    ​Morii

I've just read 'Three Daughters of Eve' by Elif Shafak. My sister had given me her book on 'How to Stay Sane', which was a bit of a yawn; but I found a TED talk by the author and liked her; then I found a novel she'd written in a charity shop and found it well told.
    Kind regards,
    Hidden Content Katrina
    Hidden Content
    Choreographing Calligraphy

Quote Originally Posted by Neetu View Post
    I think I would like to read that one, too. Did you like it?
    Was that about the Windup Girl? If so, it was very good, well written, unusual, dystopian in a different way.