What are you reading now? - Page 237

Page 237 of 237 FirstFirst ... 37137187227229230231232233234235236237
Results 2,361 to 2,368 of 2368

Thread: What are you reading now?

TBH it didn't grab me at all, too much all round, but important as the first social commentary in a novel. Would Dickens have started writing without her? She had a huge social impact at the time.
    "Give me time I will find out how to delete the duplicates, in the meantime avoid the ones with a date instead of a title."
    I found out how and was discussing it with my technical adviser (Younger daughter) and she said "Why bother? It's obvious anyway and not a problem, and you will lose a few views" . So I didn't.

Stories from just over two minutes to just over sixteen minutes long, listen while you work, my friend listens whilst doing her work e-mails Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

I just started reading a novel called "Luster" by Raven Leilani. I'm not terribly far into it, but it's got a literary style that appeals to me on so many levels. The prose is wonderful but it takes you by surprise a lot, both in what she's willing to say and in how it's presented at times as well. Plus there was a point where a single sentence ran on for a page and a half but it worked oh so very well. I aspire to write a sentence that amazing. I actually went back and read it three more times just to savor it. I won't say "everyone go read this!" yet because I'm less than halfway through and maybe it turns to crap eventually, but if you dig literary fiction with strong sexual undertones and themes of youth, self-worth, and identity, you may want to at least check it out.
    "A word after a word after a word is power."
    -Margaret Atwood

The Sunless City by J.E. Preston Muddock has become binge-worthy reading for me and I've only hit chapter three ... nice that freezing temps and snow has made that an easy task to pursue

'The girl on the train' I quite enjoyed it , except for the timeline in italics at the top of each chapter, I had to keep going back and forth to work out where I was. How hard would it be to set the scene with a few introductory words, "Anna had just moved in with Tom." , bang, job done and I don't have to flip back through other chapters to get the timeline. I think she is a planner rather than a pantser and has simply stuck her plan at the top of the chapter to save herself trouble. Huh!

Enough of these novels for a bit, I've started on Christopher Hill 'A Turbulent, Seditious and Factious People. John Bunyan and his Church', a favourite author in a favourite time line, I like a bit of Civil War
    "Give me time I will find out how to delete the duplicates, in the meantime avoid the ones with a date instead of a title."
    I found out how and was discussing it with my technical adviser (Younger daughter) and she said "Why bother? It's obvious anyway and not a problem, and you will lose a few views" . So I didn't.

Stories from just over two minutes to just over sixteen minutes long, listen while you work, my friend listens whilst doing her work e-mails Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue by V. E. Schwab. Literary fantasy about a young woman cursed to live forever and be forgotten by everyone she meets as soon as they can no longer see her. The story takes place over the span of 300 years, alternating between past and present, and it's simply wonderful in the way the protagonist navigates the boundaries of the curse and learns to make her mark on the world anyways. I'm only about halfway through and she's recently met someone who is able to remember her. I have a number of theories about this and I hope every single one of them is wrong! I want this novel to be too good to be predictable, and I think it will be.
    Last edited by Tiamat; October 29th, 2020 at 05:16 PM.
    "A word after a word after a word is power."
    -Margaret Atwood

Blog Entries
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
    My dream? Being able to enter people's hearts with words: giving emotions and dreams.
    JK Rowling (Harry Potter) has been rejected more than 10 times Remember, don't give up!
    Thank you all for the help you give me to improve my English.

I'm reading ​The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket, Mr. Poe's not-very-well-known full length novel. The prose style is a little bit of a headache at times (although you do get several breaks where he writes "like a normal person" which I am grateful for). There were several moments that made me crack up pretty hard--something about the dry humor delivered in a gothic style. All in all, I am curious where this is going and I found the plot quite creative (not imaginative; there's a difference).

Blog Entries
    I read again:
    On Writing by Stephen King
    For the 3rd time.
    My dream? Being able to enter people's hearts with words: giving emotions and dreams.
    JK Rowling (Harry Potter) has been rejected more than 10 times Remember, don't give up!
    Thank you all for the help you give me to improve my English.