What are you reading now? - Page 235

Thread: What are you reading now?

Currently it is Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco. That's a reread, though. Must've read this book about ten times and it's not a short read, so I might drift to something else. I only started it because it's a comfort book and in times like this I need something familiar.

-SIN

I'm going to find a book about John Brown. He sounds like an interesting character.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Irwin View Post
    I'm going to find a book about John Brown. He sounds like an interesting character.
    Indeed.

I just replaced my copy of "Rand McNally's World Aircraft, Military 1945-1960". I had the WWII books (Vol 1 & 2) but somehow lost the other. But it's back.
    My God, I'm a nerd, but I enjoy this stuff so much. My retirement dream is to be able to volunteer at the local Museum of Flight at Boeing Field. I want to work as a docent, and tell the glorious and fascinating stories of the aircraft, the people, and the events around them. It's so much more than the airplanes.
    I just read a story about an Iranian F-14 Tomcat pilot that fought the Iraqis during the Iran-Iraq War. The Iranians are now a "foe" of the US, but his stories from The Tomcat truly transcend. I wish the Italian authors of this series of books compiled another, "1960-1990". But like I said... nerd.
    Opportunities abound! Land and titles available! Be bold! Enquire now!
    See Cazique Gregor MacGregor of details.

Reading Platform by Michel Houllebecq (it's okay...); The Paris Wife by Paula McLain (it's great!); Some Thoughts Concerning Education by John Locke (to build their character, parents are implored to throw their children butt ass naked into the snow); various doom and gloom articles about the state of the world (total downers) paired off against articles calling all the doom and gloom articles a'buncha bullshit (also downers, but what can you do?); plus various snippets of things picked at here and there when pulled down from off my bookshelf; this, that, other things, etc.

Just finished The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.
    Currently working on: The Huntsmage

"There ain't no such thing as a free lunch." - Robert Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

I better just go copy the title so that I get it right...Sex Differences in Antisocial Behaviour: Conduct Disorder, Delinquency, and Violence in the Dunedin Longitudinal Study (Cambridge Studies in Criminology).

This book....is very statistical. I'm not the biggest math person, but it would help if I were. However, there are lots of things to learn in it. For example, girls tend to start expressing antisocial behavior peaking at two years post their first menstration. The peak is two years afterward, and from there goes down. Girls who start later than other girls have less antisocial behavior overall. Men do not experience this kind of peaking. When a guy has antisocial behavior, he's more likely to remain antisocial, as opposed to the girl who peaks and then goes down a bit.

Also, while men usually express more antisocial behaviors than women do, this difference does not exist for alcohol and narcotics. That is, a girl or guy is equally likely to abuse substances.

Finally found another book worth reading all the way - The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson.

At 400,000 words, I'm definitely gonna break this one into chunks.

"There ain't no such thing as a free lunch." - Robert Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

I just finished "the Yellow Wallpaper" (recommend) and "the Sculptor's Funeral" (it was okay).

I forced myself through "A Whisperer in Darkness" recently but it was so damn purple.

Amanda Craig, The lie of the land. Not bad, plenty of plot layers and issues to discuss. The actual writing feels a little 'self conscious' at times, don't ask me exactly what that means. I might have thought it inexperience, but she is quite a prolific author, perhaps it is the deep wounding of her darlings rather than all out eradication. Overall readable though.
    A new story

I finally got 'A Family Business' recorded and loaded, all 37 mins of it, much longer than any I have done before.
    Hidden Content

I'm on Chapter 7 of the first book of the Night Lords Omnibus, a Warhammer 40K trilogy, now. A friend of mine has been nagging me for years to get into it. I tried Gaunt's Ghosts first, but found the writing way too focused on the over-the-top violence rather than the story itself, even if said violence was well-written. This is one is a lot more interesting.