What are you reading now? - Page 228

Page 228 of 229 FirstFirst ... 28128178218220221222223224225226227228229 LastLast
Results 2,271 to 2,280 of 2283

Thread: What are you reading now?

I just finished the second book "Limited Wish" of the Impossible times series by Mark Lawrence. Very good book if you like crazy fiction.

Blog Entries
    I'm giving Neuromancer another go-around in-lieu of Cyberpunk 2077 releasing. William Gibson is so ingenious.
    "How can we know the dancer from the dance?" - W.B. Yeats
    Stories: Hidden Content l Hidden Content Hidden Content

Projects:
    Hidden Content

Blog Entries
    Just started reading Virginia Adams' "Sage's Eyes", I'm ninety pages in and there seems to be something vaguely familiar about it.
    Oh dear, I hope I'm wrong about this.
    If i post a comment on a "WIP", LOOK! I'm a reader that's all, and i can only tell how i feel, as a READER, giving/offering feedback. Hoping to learn and grow here. So please, tell me where i'm going wrong.

Me? I'm just a fly on the wall.

Look! I'm trying, okay?

One can but dream, if only i had dared.

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong" Mahatma Gandhi.
    Alas, i am weak.

I must find a way to Eastbourne and i so wish that i could dance.

I'm on a non-fiction kick right now with Mindhunter by John E. Douglas and Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer.

After reading an article by Dr. Charles Whitehead in Paranormal Review magazine I took a look at his website www.socialmirrors.org and his other articles there. His main interest in the field of social science is apparently role play and imagination, which I would say is close to the mental activities of fiction writers. Certainly in his writing he mentions the importance of "self" and "other" imagery in mental development and how people create imaginary characters within their minds who appear to behave almost independently of their creators' expectations. Taken to its limits this can result in multiple personality disorders but well balanced minds establish harmony between the various aspects of a person's character. No doubt as writers we can see how we ourselves allow this natural process to extend into creating plausible characters in our fiction. His specific interest is in drama and dance as a social interaction mechanism but there is no doubt useful information for any writer researching human behaviour or looking for ideas on how to modify conventional social activity into a fictional scenario.

He is a technical but entertaining writer. For example, in a review of a conference on the nature of consciousness that he attended he admitted that he fell asleep several times during it. There is a subtle irony in his failing to maintain his own consciousness during talks on that very subject, I think. Also, to quote, "The session ended with the chairman’s closing remark: ‘That brings us to the end of another successful conference on consciousness.’ Well, what else could he say?" That is a delightfully matter of fact remark to make in a relatively serious review of the event.

I was interested in how he identified the various camps in the debate on the hard problem of consciousness. Science has its sects just as religion does but the difference is that scientific sects don't modify their appearances to denote their strong beliefs in the way that religious people often do. Instead they all purport to be entirely rational, logical and impartial researchers despite holding quite different views, but that is just in itself an aspect of social behaviour and something that he would notice and classify.

For anyone interested in social structure and development his site may be worth visiting, of not for his own writings then for the references to others that he provides.
    'Sharing an experience creates a reality.' Create a new reality today.
    'There has to be some give and take.' If I can take my time I'm willing to give it.
    'The most difficult criticism that a writer has to comprehend is silence.' So speak up.

I am reading an oldie called the "Green Armour" by Osmar White, a war correspondent in the New Guinea battle in WWII. A brutal jungle being the worst enemy. Intriguing how they crossed areas white people didn't venture into previously.

Blog Entries
    The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion. My NaNoWriMo project is memoir and this one is stellar.
    "How can we know the dancer from the dance?" - W.B. Yeats
    Stories: Hidden Content l Hidden Content Hidden Content

Projects:
    Hidden Content

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191112_115936428.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	25008
    The only one who can heal you is you.

Always so 'worthy' in your reading esc. I finished an Agatha Christie Miss Marple during a visit to the hospital. You make me feel trivial
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

Do not care much for these doorstop volumes but I bought it for the essays...there so awkward to handle an read..3 pound charity shop bargain..Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15737204473031693786149.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	25035
    The only one who can heal you is you.