What are you reading now? - Page 227

Page 227 of 228 FirstFirst ... 27127177217219220221222223224225226227228 LastLast
Results 2,261 to 2,270 of 2274

Thread: What are you reading now?

4 3 2 1 by Paul Auster

I'm just starting on it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190913_161933507.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	52.0 KB 
ID:	24414
    The only one who can heal you is you.

Blog Entries
    I'm currently reading .....The Turning Point... by Freya North.... and y'know what? I can't put it down, it's an absolute page-turner. I have a feeling that this isn't the first Freya North that I've read but for me, Freya North is a MUST READ.
    If i post a comment on a "WIP", LOOK! I'm a reader that's all, and i can only tell how i feel, as a READER, giving/offering feedback. Hoping to learn and grow here. So please, tell me where i'm going wrong.

Me? I'm just a fly on the wall.

Look! I'm trying, okay?

One can but dream, if only i had dared.

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong" Mahatma Gandhi.
    Alas, i am weak.

I must find a way to Eastbourne and i so wish that i could dance.

The Institute, by Stephen King

The Extinction Agenda by Michael Laurence

It's full of cliches and there's not much character development, so I'm probably not going to make it to the end. I like interesting characters.

"I Am Charlotte Simmons" by Tom Wolfe.

The story of a young, fairly gifted girl who transitions from her tiny little mountain town to the Ivy League University environment. All her expectations of the ivory towers are torn down.

Here's a small excerpt that made me laugh:
    Tom Wolfe:
    She had been sitting down no more than fifteen seconds when she thought she heard a faint grunting sound. Then—a prodigious pig-bladdery splattering sphincter-spasmed bowel explosion, followed by, in rapid succession, plop plop plop and a deep male voice—“Oh fuck! Splashed right up my fucking asshole!”
    Filthy! The crudeness, the grossness, the vulgarity—above all the fact that there was a boy or a man in here . . . egesting . . . no more than three or four cubicles down the row from her!
    “Shit—a—brick!” said a deep male voice in a cubicle only slightly farther away. “What the fuck you been eating, Winnie—month-old sushi?” He made a mocking vomiting sound. “You’re fucking . . . morbid, dude. I need a gas mask.”
    Sure enough, a nauseous, putrid, gaseous odor was in the air.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Irwin View Post
    4 3 2 1 by Paul Auster

I'm just starting on it.
    I love Auster's work, have you read The New York Trilogy and City of Glass?
    I saw an interview of Auster yesterday wherein he discussed how he got into writing. Evidently, he went to a baseball game when he was a kid and met Willie Mays --who was his idol at the time. Auster asked him for an autograph, but nobody had a pencil, so Mays didn't give him one. He was so disappointed the he decided to carry a pencil with him for the rest of his life.

52 years after meeting Mays, Auster has penned a good body of work. He goes to a writer's conference and speaks with Amy Tan who tells him that she's friends with a couple who live next door to Mays. She tells Auster that she'll ask the couple to buy one of his books and read it to Mays. Some time later Amy calls him and tells him that the couple read the book to Mays. Mays started crying a repeating "52 years...52 years..." He then took a baseball off his shelf, signed it, and mailed it to Paul Auster.

Apparently some stories take a long time to finish.

Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides. I bought it years ago but forgot I had it until recently. So far, so good!

"I was born twice: first, as a baby girl, on a remarkably smogless Detroit day of January 1960; and then again, as a teenage boy, in an emergency room near Petoskey, Michigan, in August of l974. . . My birth certificate lists my name as Calliope Helen Stephanides. My most recent driver's license...records my first name simply as Cal."

So begins the breathtaking story of Calliope Stephanides and three generations of the Greek-American Stephanides family who travel from a tiny village overlooking Mount Olympus in Asia Minor to Prohibition-era Detroit, witnessing its glory days as the Motor City, and the race riots of l967, before they move out to the tree-lined streets of suburban Grosse Pointe, Michigan. To understand why Calliope is not like other girls, she has to uncover a guilty family secret and the astonishing genetic history that turns Callie into Cal, one of the most audacious and wondrous narrators in contemporary fiction. Lyrical and thrilling, Middlesex is an exhilarating reinvention of the American epic.

Middlesex is the winner of the 2003 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction."
    Last edited by Ma'am; October 1st, 2019 at 05:58 AM.

I'm reading:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0261102168.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	33.1 KB 
ID:	24598

It's only for the hardcore Tolkien fans.
    I threw a glance at humankind and saw them treacherous and feeble.
    Severe judges, cruel, unkind and fools who are always close to evil.
    Before their frightful, anxious mob, indifferent hate forever rages.
    Not learnt the lessons from the ages!
    What use are wise and tempered words?
    "Sometime, in my sweet blindness" - Pushkin

Quote Originally Posted by Mish View Post
    It's only for the hardcore Tolkien fans.
    Can't say I am one, I enjoyed reading my kids The Hobbit and read L o t R once, but I bet there are enough that the publisher reckons to make a good profit; which kind of annoys me a little.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content