What are you reading now? - Page 215

Submit your creative works to Flashes >>HERE<< .

Page 215 of 220 FirstFirst ... 15115165205207208209210211212213214215216217218219220 LastLast
Results 2,141 to 2,150 of 2199

Thread: What are you reading now?

I've been in a reading rut for awhile (sad face!) but I just finished The Knights in Fustian: a war time story of Indiana. Research for a novel I have been thinking about forever but will probably never write...

Gotta know your history
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190417_191724563_HDR.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	23627
    The only one who can heal you is you.

I have two in progress right now - Seize the Night by Dean Koontz at home and rereading The Shining during breaks at work.

During the past month and a half, I've been reading a lot of Philip K. Dick.

To go through it:

Vulcan's Hammer
    Solar Lottery
    The Game Players of Titan
    Clans of the Alphane Moon
    Time Out of Joint
    A Maze of Death
    The Zap Gun

Solar Lottery and Vulcan's Hammer were the best. The rest, while entertaining, were so chaotic and disjointed that I felt they were more pulp fiction than anything else.
    “As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light of meaning in the darkness of mere being,"

-Carl Jung

I am taking another stab at Adam Smith Wealth of Nations. Its had going, even though I like economics.

He doesn't have much respect for poor people, I have noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bardling View Post
    I am taking another stab at Adam Smith Wealth of Nations. Its had going, even though I like economics.

He doesn't have much respect for poor people, I have noticed.
    Very true. He was an elite so he looked down on the "common person" as I suppose they would have been called. I've read it a long time ago, but would love to hear what you think it really meant. Economics is not my forte, despite me having a hefty interest in the subject.
    “As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light of meaning in the darkness of mere being,"

-Carl Jung

Quote Originally Posted by Bard_Daniel View Post
    Very true. He was an elite so he looked down on the "common person" as I suppose they would have been called. I've read it a long time ago, but would love to hear what you think it really meant. Economics is not my forte, despite me having a hefty interest in the subject.
    *UPDATE* Finished Galilee and working on Culture and Imperialism by Edward W. Said.

*UPDATE #2* Finished Culture and Imperialism.

*UPDATE #3* Finished The Cornish Coast Murder by John Bude, The Flame: Poems and Selections from Notebooks by Leonard Cohen, and Radio Free Albemuth by Philip K. Dick.
    Last edited by Bard_Daniel; April 25th, 2019 at 07:26 PM.

-Carl Jung

I just got started on this.

The Overstory: A Novel
    by Richard Powers

The Overstory, winner of the 2019 Pulitzer Prize in Fiction, is a sweeping, impassioned work of activism and resistance that is also a stunning evocation of―and paean to―the natural world. From the roots to the crown and back to the seeds, Richard Powers’s twelfth novel unfolds in concentric rings of interlocking fables that range from antebellum New York to the late twentieth-century Timber Wars of the Pacific Northwest and beyond. There is a world alongside ours―vast, slow, interconnected, resourceful, magnificently inventive, and almost invisible to us. This is the story of a handful of people who learn how to see that world and who are drawn up into its unfolding catastrophe.

Snippet from p. 4:
    "That’s the trouble with people, their root problem. Life runs alongside them, unseen. Right here, right next. Creating the soil. Cycling water. Trading in nutrients. Making weather. Building atmosphere. Feeding and curing and sheltering more kinds of creatures than people know how to count.

A chorus of living wood sings to the woman: If your mind were only a slightly greener thing, we’d drown you in meaning."

An exceptionally awesome book and the writing is to die for, yet over 25% of the reviews are less than five stars. If you take into account those that don't read because it might conflict with their imagined reality, such pretty much mirrors humanity to my way of thinking, given how we're so blatantly destroying the habitat that sustains us.

Site:
    Hidden Content

The simplest truths are written on the wall,
    where we see imaginary greatness in our fall.

I met a lady called Jayasree Kalathil who has translated a book of short stories by N. Prabhakaran called 'Diary of a Malayali madman'. I think I might be able to help her with her writing a bit, but they are interesting stories with a different sort of structure to the short stories I am used to.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

Reading The Green Mile by Stephen King and A Column of Fire by Ken Follett.

-Carl Jung