What are you reading now? - Page 201

Page 201 of 228 FirstFirst ... 101151191193194195196197198199200201202203204205206207208209211 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,010 of 2274

Thread: What are you reading now?

Quote Originally Posted by sas View Post
    In 2014 I bought The Complete Poems of Phillip Larkin. Still pushing through it. I find I like lines, rather than entire poems, with the exception of Aubade. I find myself wanting to workshop them. No shit. Too late. He's dead.
    Stick the odd line in Firemajic's daily dose of poetic inspiration. I have been looking for some inspiration lately.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

Larkin Poems are border line paranoia..people just seem to get in his way...an they fuck you up your mum an dad just about sums him up...for me the stuck up git is best when describing barren places or devoid of people..I like his stuff but.....
    The only one who can heal you is you.

Quote Originally Posted by escorial View Post
    Larkin Poems are border line paranoia..people just seem to get in his way...an they fuck you up your mum an dad just about sums him up...for me the stuck up git is best when describing barren places or devoid of people..I like his stuff but.....
    LOL. I'll keep reading with that in mind. Interesting take on him. Deep down I think he wanted to write poetry like Ginsberg's, but didn't know how to cut loose. Shoulda been American. Larkin was too pinched assed. Not in private, though. Smiles.

Blog Entries
    " BRENDA MONK IS FUNNY ."

By Katy Brand .

A funny witty and enjoyable read.
    If i post a comment on a "WIP", LOOK! I'm a reader that's all, and i can only tell how i feel, as a READER, giving/offering feedback. Hoping to learn and grow here. So please, tell me where i'm going wrong.

Me? I'm just a fly on the wall.

Look! I'm trying, okay?

One can but dream, if only i had dared.

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong" Mahatma Gandhi.
    Alas, i am weak.

I must find a way to Eastbourne and i so wish that i could dance.

I finished STONER - John Williams - that was 'literary' and fashionable as a lost classic a couple of years back. It was an entertaining read.

Then I popped down the spooky second hand shop. For a tenner I got 'Jack Tar' - which is social history - 'life of a common sailor in the time of Nelson.' That's fun. [ten pound 4 books]

Suckered into a 5 purchase of Harari's SAPIENS: THE MILLION COPY BESTSELLER down the supermarket. Very smooth prose, I'll immerse although it is a guilty pleasure, like the Ascent OF MAN, version 98.

as for the 2nd hand books - Tom Brown's Schooldays, mmm, Nabokov something - might be short stories? And John Masefield - something - I liked his seafaring story before [The Bird of Dawning], so, so...

I'll buy most things nautical/piratical.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dither View Post
    " BRENDA MONK IS FUNNY ."

By Katy Brand .

A funny witty and enjoyable read.

Well,

I just finished it.
    Great story, great read and I loved the character that was,Brenda Monk.
    If i post a comment on a "WIP", LOOK! I'm a reader that's all, and i can only tell how i feel, as a READER, giving/offering feedback. Hoping to learn and grow here. So please, tell me where i'm going wrong.

Look! I'm trying, okay?

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong" Mahatma Gandhi.
    Alas, i am weak.

Blog Entries
    I'm a few chapters in with Carol Goodman's " River Road". With a credit like "gripping" I'm not sure that it's really my kind of read but hey! So far, so good. I'm warming to it.

Look! I'm trying, okay?

Alas, i am weak.

Blog Entries
    Fool's Errand by Robin Hobb. This style of mid-level fantasy, detailed but not impenetrable, is very much what I want for my own writing. Interestingly, the call to action doesn't happen until chapter 9, page 180 of a 661 page novel. Up until then it's very much character setup, worldbuilding, backstory, and an almost imperceptible rise in threat until it's inevitable that Tom Badgerlock, aka FitzChivalry, will somehow be shaken out of his pleasant isolation.

Hidden Content Monthly Fiction Challenge

Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror which we are barely able to endure, and are awed,
    because it serenely disdains to annihilate us.
    - Rainer Maria Rilke, "Elegy I"

Is this fire, or is this mask?
    It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

C'mon everybody, don't need this crap.
    - Wham!

Blog Entries
    bdc,
    we're obviously into different things/genre, worlds apart, but I can sort of relate to what you're saying.
    My latest read had a similar affect.

Look! I'm trying, okay?

Alas, i am weak.

Blog Entries
    Did I really say that "gripping" wasn't my kind of read?
    Engrossed by it, an absolute page turner and thoroughly enjoyed.
    That's two out of two and author's names noted.

Now I have nothing left to read. It's bloody cold outside and I need to get to the library. A.S.A.P.

Look! I'm trying, okay?

Alas, i am weak.