What are you reading now? - Page 184

Page 184 of 234 FirstFirst ... 84134174176177178179180181182183184185186187188189190191192194 ... LastLast
Results 1,831 to 1,840 of 2337

Thread: What are you reading now?

Looking for poetic inspiration... something epic...100 Flowers Campaign-wiki

Just finished The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell.

Some really nice writing in individual bits, but it didn't work for me as a novel. It's the first Mitchell I've read, but it certainly didn't inspire me to seek out more work by him.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1503672459315101663490.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	19351
    The only one who can heal you is you.

Blog Entries

Name:	DragonTeethMC.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	19352
    Hidden Content
    PlayStation gamer and Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn lover!
    Hidden Content

Esc, I admire your persistence with the Hemingways. He is brilliant. I like reading about his life (any anecdotes involving him usually result in a punch-up).

If you're looking for a new author some time, these two are similar to Hemingway, but much more pleasurable, in my opinion, to read.

Name:	AskTheDust.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	17.4 KB 
ID:	19353

Name:	TroutFishinginAmericaBrautigan.PNG 
Views:	26 
Size:	21.4 KB 
ID:	19354
    Last edited by Sebald; August 25th, 2017 at 04:35 PM.

A quote from 'Ask the Dust':

"Listen closely. There's the remote possibility that you might learn something: First, I don’t give a damn if my work is commercial or not…I’m the writer. If what I write is good, then people will read it. That’s why literature exists. An author puts his heart and guts on the page. For your information, a good novel can change the world. Keep that in mind before you attempt to sit down at a typewriter. Never waste time on something you don’t believe in yourself."

John Fante was the author who inspired Bukowski to start writing. Bukowski stumbled across this novel in a library, and it changed his life. Bukowski brought the novel back into print and later editions carry an introduction (love letter) by him.

Thanks for the recommendation..sebald..I've stuck with Hemingway and I reckon I'm coming round to his style..I don't think his characters are strong and he's more about the experience and emotions felt by them..with Steinbeck you get invited into his characters world an Hemingway tells you about them...it's been a struggle but worth it..thanks Alice...
    The only one who can heal you is you.

Blog Entries
    " AGE is just a number.
    what a 97-year-old
    record-breaker can teach us
    about getting older"

By Charles Eugster.

Enjoying the read.

Finding this amusing and inspiring, definitely thought provoking.
    Last edited by dither; August 28th, 2017 at 10:51 AM.
    If i post a comment on a "WIP", LOOK! I'm a reader that's all, and i can only tell how i feel, as a READER, giving/offering feedback. Hoping to learn and grow here. So please, tell me where i'm going wrong.

Me? I'm just a fly on the wall.

Look! I'm trying, okay?

One can but dream, if only i had dared.

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong" Mahatma Gandhi.
    Alas, i am weak.

I must find a way to Eastbourne and i so wish that i could dance.

Blog Entries
    Have just started reading Tony Robinson's "No Cunning Plan" and I can't stop laughing over something in the intro.
    If i post a comment on a "WIP", LOOK! I'm a reader that's all, and i can only tell how i feel, as a READER, giving/offering feedback. Hoping to learn and grow here. So please, tell me where i'm going wrong.

Me? I'm just a fly on the wall.

Look! I'm trying, okay?

One can but dream, if only i had dared.

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong" Mahatma Gandhi.
    Alas, i am weak.

I must find a way to Eastbourne and i so wish that i could dance.

On my Colorado trip, I read an old book (which was made into a movie/Robert Redford (?)): A Walk in the Woods, by Bill Bryson. Funny & fabulous true story about a guy, at age of 44, who decides to walk the Appalachian Trail. If you ever have or will hike, this book is for you! Could not put down.