Page 176 of 194 FirstFirst ... 76126166168169170171172173174175176177178179180181182183184186 ... LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,760 of 1940

Thread: What are you reading now?

Hard for me to find a book I'm really interested in anymore, but this one is holding my attention so far.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Book.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	18457

Site:
    Natural World Reflections and Book: Calan's Eden

The simplest truths are written on the wall,
    where we see imaginary greatness in our fall.

Panic by Jeff Abbott.

It's not so much a whodunnit as a whydunnit.

The opening few chapters have held my interest sufficiently to continue reading. I have picked up a couple of partial clues as to the why, but they may be red herrings. So I need to read more in order to find out.
    This isn't the sort of genre that would normally appeal to me, so the author has done very well to keep me interested. I was drawn to it by the blurb on the back cover (and the low price as I picked it up in a charity shop).

Blog Entries
    Insurgent by Veronica Roth, reference

All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr

There is no doubt in this reader's mind
    why this novel was received and acknowledged
    as it was.

After looking at wiki,
    "Quality over quantity"
    seems to apply.

Highly recommended.
    Especially Young Adult.
    Authors looking for more realistic young female protagonists:
    Here it is, imho.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeC View Post
    Hard for me to find a book I'm really interested in anymore, but this one is holding my attention so far.

Name:	Book.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	18457
    Wondering why your finding it difficult to find another read...
    The only one who can heal you is you.

Quote Originally Posted by escorial View Post
    Wondering why your finding it difficult to find another read...
    I'm a jaded old reader that's not into the escapist thing

While I've got your attention Esc, there's a couple things I've been meaning to mention to you.

Some time back there was a "discussion" about what a "classic" is. Being I prefer books that ask the reader to use their mind, the definition I subscribe to is:
    “A classic is a book that has never finished saying what it has to say.” ― Italo Calvino

Also, I watched a YouTube video of a spray paint artist doing a Aurora Borealis scene. I found it fascinating and thought you might also.
    https://youtu.be/_aiYrPGTIhY
    Last edited by LeeC; June 20th, 2017 at 05:02 AM.

Site:

Cool vid man...
    The only one who can heal you is you.

Blog Entries
    The Escape by David Baldacci

wiki says 3 of 4 in the John Puller series.
    amos decker in memory man still remains my fav.

North of Boston by Elisabeth Elo
    debut novel.
    i'll let you know after "the holiday".

*stares at incoming*
    *with affection*

Ilan Pappe, The Biggest Prison on Earth (A History of the Occupied Territories). I saw him at Hay, he said the publishers put on the subtitle, 'occupation is a short term thing, after fifty years this is colonisation.' The cynicism of the politicians is predictable and frustrating.

Big Bangs, the story of five discoveries that changed musical history., by Howard Goodall. Enlightening.
    Visit my website to read and listen to stories songs and more
    http://www.oliverbuckle.com/

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. http://www.writingforums.com/threads...Piglet-s-Picks

The book I was reading, NÁÁPIIKOAN WINTER by Alethea Williams, started out very interesting, but soon to me degenerated into a boring chronology. The author began with the events of a young Mexican girl being abducted by Apache, then started skipping ahead to introduce the European male character with which she would share trials.

It was professionally edited, adhering to all the current dogma of writing, but to me quickly lost the engrossing voice that keeps a thoughtful reader turning pages.

So, without another book that interests me, I’ve returned to reread “Heart of a Lion: A Lone Cat's Walk Across America” by William Stolzenburg. It renews my belief that there are critically thinking people, that truly care for their children in caring for the world they will have to get by in.

A classic is a book that has never finished saying what it has to say.” ― Italo Calvino

There's a full review on my site.

Name:	HOLSnippets.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	157.0 KB 
ID:	18735

[click to enlarge]

Site:

I've just been reading a BBC magazine article online about the reintroduction of wolves in Scotland. Here in the UK we have eradicated every predator that used to roam this small island but the thinking has changed over the past few decades and there is quite a movement now to 'rewild' the UK by bringing back native species that were hunted to extinction, including the lynx and the wolf. There are already wild boar loose in England a lot of work has been done with the reintroduction of birds of prey - most notably the red kite.

You can read Adam Weymouth's article here. I found it an interesting read and I hope it bodes well for the future of the natural environment here in the UK.

Just starting out on the adventure of poetry? Why not join us on
    Poetry Hill where you will receive one-to-one advice and suggestions for ways to work with your poem.

My Poems