What are you reading now? - Page 144

Thread: What are you reading now?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyarachu View Post
    Reading Game of Thrones to see what all the hubbub is about. I'm trying really hard to like it, but it's a struggle. Granted I'm only about 150 pages in, so I'll at least finish the book. I just don't think it's my cup of tea.
    Never mind. Done with this rubbish. Apologies to any who enjoy it.
    "Fantasy is the literature of hope. In fantasy there is a belief that you can make a difference. Today may be bleak, but you can live through today. And tomorrow will be better. And maybe there'll be a different darkness tomorrow, but you can live through that, too, and you can make the light come, and the darkness go away. It doesn't matter how many times the darkness comes. There is always hope for something better." ~Robert Jordan

"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ~C.S. Lewis

Blog Entries
    Just borrowed one of Graham Greene's.

"A Gun for Sale."

We shall see.
    If i post a comment on a "WIP", LOOK! I'm a reader that's all, and i can only tell how i feel, as a READER, giving/offering feedback. Hoping to learn and grow here. So please, tell me where i'm going wrong.

Me? I'm just a fly on the wall.

Look! I'm trying, okay?

One can but dream, if only i had dared.

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong" Mahatma Gandhi.
    Alas, i am weak.

I must find a way to Eastbourne and i so wish that i could dance.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyarachu View Post
    Never mind. Done with this rubbish. Apologies to any who enjoy it.
    I've recovered and renewed my efforts. I'd never forgive myself if I didn't at least finish the book, not as a fantasy nerd. Maybe I just need time to adjust to the induced depression.

Is this how people normally react to this series? I'm starting to think it might be.
    "Fantasy is the literature of hope. In fantasy there is a belief that you can make a difference. Today may be bleak, but you can live through today. And tomorrow will be better. And maybe there'll be a different darkness tomorrow, but you can live through that, too, and you can make the light come, and the darkness go away. It doesn't matter how many times the darkness comes. There is always hope for something better." ~Robert Jordan

"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ~C.S. Lewis

Blog Entries
    So I finished Game of Thrones. It did get marginally better near the end, but still, I'll find my tea elsewhere...

Most of the characters felt pretty real; I'll say that about it at least. The whole 'American Tolkien' thing really irks me, though. Tolkien's works really mean something, and say something, which I just didn't get at all from Martin.

And now back to where I truly belong: The Wheel of Time (book 5).

Just finished 'Nelson's war'. Interesting, most books about him concentrate on Trafalgar, this also had analysis of the Glorious first of June, Cape St. Vincent, the Nile, Camperdown, and Copenhagen which showed how tactics developed, rather than implying they sprung fully formed from the mind of Nelson. Terrible pictures, black and white reproductions of oil paintings showing people striking heroic poses, often in the middle of bloodless battles.
    Hidden Content

A whole swathe of entertainment, all sorts of lengths, all sorts of stories, all with that 'Olly' twist.

Started reading: "Schrodinger's Rabbits: Many Worlds of Quantum"

I guess cats are out
    Je suis Charlie.

"My ambition is handicapped with laziness." - Charles Bukowski
    "The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” but “That’s funny…” - Isaac Asimov
    "Sometimes it's the very people who no one imagines anything of who do the things no one can imagine." - Alan Turing
    "Physicists are made of atoms. A physicist is an attempt by an atom to understand itself.” - Michio Kaku
    "No fighting in the War room!" - Dr. Strangelove
    "I'm friends with the mustard that's under my bed" - The Internet

In memory of Pandora, a beautiful butterfly spreading its wings above the Earth's realm...

Reading, and going to finish soon today, Dreamtigers by Jorge Luis Borges. It was a very interesting read but not as good as some of his other books.

Next I'm going to dive into Klingsor's Last Summer-- a book of three stories by Hermann Hesse. I'm pumped! : D

Edit: I'm also starting Nietzsche's The Birth of Tragedy today. Yeah!
    Last edited by Bard_Daniel; June 23rd, 2016 at 05:08 PM.

Blog Entries
    It's strange, and then,all things considered,maybe not so strange.
    I find myself trawling the "classics" section of my local library hoping that i might learn from them.

Right now i'm reading C.P.Snow's "The Malcontents" and, as usual, am finding it hard work.

And that seems to be the way of things.

I struggle, i persevere, and then suddenly, i can't read enough, the story reaches it's climax, and every thing makes sense.

We shall see.
    If i post a comment on a "WIP", LOOK! I'm a reader that's all, and i can only tell how i feel, as a READER, giving/offering feedback. Hoping to learn and grow here. So please, tell me where i'm going wrong.

Look! I'm trying, okay?

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong" Mahatma Gandhi.
    Alas, i am weak.

Quote Originally Posted by dither View Post
    It's strange, and then,all things considered,maybe not so strange.
    I find myself trawling the "classics" section of my local library hoping that i might learn from them.
    Not strange at all. Sometimes I go into the library and pick books virtually at random, factual or fictional, just to get out of my personal rut, not that I have any clearly defined one as a consequence. The last such spate involved five books from the architecture section, but that was overkill I think. I only got them to look at the pictures really.

I'm not reading anything at present but have just ordered a book that a friend suggested to me, knowing my interest in the nature of coincidences. It is "Connecting with Coincidence: The New Science for Using Synchronicity and Serendipity in Your Life" by Bernard D Beitman, a psychologist who has spent many years looking into unusual coincidences in his and other people's lives. It may just be another example of a psychologist writing a self-help book when he is short of patients but I may find something there to compare with the thoughts on my own website. Coincidence rules my life apparently, so the book was published last March, the month when I stopped adding more speculation to my own website. Furthermore the character who discovered the phenomenon of reliable precognition in my novel was also named Bernard. These are just everyday coincidences by my present standards though.

If the book is worth reporting on I will.
    'Sharing an experience creates a reality.' Create a new reality today.
    'There has to be some give and take.' If I can take my time I'm willing to give it.
    'The most difficult criticism that a writer has to comprehend is silence.' So speak up.

Blog Entries
    Funny that you should mention psychology. Often i have read a two page excerpt from a book in a newspaper, then having been totally enthralled by it, found out that it was in fact from the psychology section.
    We all think that we are so complex, so individual. One guy had me pigeon-holed in about three paragraphs.

Look! I'm trying, okay?

Alas, i am weak.