What are you reading now? - Page 142

Thread: What are you reading now?

I'm reading Forensics: What Bugs, Burns, Prints, DNA and More Tell Us About Crime by Val McDermid

It's good.

I'll be reading Red Queen next.

The Forever War by Joe Haldeman. I read it 30-odd years ago but don't really remember it all.

Red Queen
    -- yes.
    Dream big, fight hard, live proud!

Blog Entries
    Finally found a not depressing story in that post-apocalyptic short story anthology. "Never Despair" by Jack McDevitt. Good stuff. I'll probably read it again.
    "Fantasy is the literature of hope. In fantasy there is a belief that you can make a difference. Today may be bleak, but you can live through today. And tomorrow will be better. And maybe there'll be a different darkness tomorrow, but you can live through that, too, and you can make the light come, and the darkness go away. It doesn't matter how many times the darkness comes. There is always hope for something better." ~Robert Jordan

"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ~C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Gyarachu View Post
    Finally found a not depressing story in that post-apocalyptic short story anthology. "Never Despair" by Jack McDevitt. Good stuff. I'll probably read it again.
    that's always a good sign..cool
    The only one who can heal you is you.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	51J9D25ZMGL.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	14305

"The Soul of an Octopus" by legendary Sy Montgomery, also author of The Good Good Pig.

This is a fascinating book that brings out a small part of the exquisiteness of the web of physical existence we're a part of. It's books like this that remind me there are writers that go beyond the fanciful writings of the human bubble. So much of which issues from the bubble of trivial imagining to entertain our inward focused existence, when there is a world of other life in reality that is much more interesting.

Read and write as if your life had consequences far beyond your understanding. It does.

Name:	TSOAO.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	14320
    SaveSave

Site:
    Hidden Content

The simplest truths are written on the wall,
    where we see imaginary greatness in our fall.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeC View Post
    "The Soul of an Octopus" by legendary Sy Montgomery, also author of The Good Good Pig.

This is a fascinating book that brings out a small part of the exquisiteness of the web of physical existence we're a part of. It's books like this that remind me there are writers that go beyond the fanciful writings of the human bubble. So much of which issues from the bubble of trivial imagining to entertain our inward focused existence, when there is a world of other life in reality that is much more interesting.

Read and write as if your life had consequences far beyond your understanding. It does.

Name:	TSOAO.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	14320
    SaveSave
    that summary belongs on the back of the book....

Listening to Bruce Campbell narrate his book, If Chins Could Kill: Confessions of a B Movie Actor

If you like Bruce Campbell, you'll enjoy his book--which I read some time back, and the audiobook. He does a good job narrating, and what I enjoy are the inserted updates about people and events that were discussed in the book written about 14 years ago.

After watching the series, I've finally got round to reading A Game of Thrones. I am trying to read one book of the ice and fire series a week. Going well so far. I'll have read them all in no time, even though they're very large tomes, so I credit Martin with creating a world and an ensemble of characters that are very engaging. It's not my usual read, but it's a lot of fun. As well as being a very likeable man, he's a good writer.

Just picked up Green Hills of Africa by Ernest Hemingway.

Looking forward to it.