What are you reading now? - Page 134

Thread: What are you reading now?

Just finished 'Penguin lessons' by Tom Michell, not bad, an amusing, easy read.
    The Adventures of Tom Sawyer....been a while but I'm looking forward to it again
    I know it comes first, but Huck Finn is an amazing book, probably the best he ever wrote, don't forget to carry on into it. He also wrote an awful lot more I discovered trawling second hand shops over the years, mostly worth a read, which isn't bad a hundred + years on.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dither View Post
    I've read about two thirds of this and like wow!
    Orwell, how amazing WAS that man?
    Incredible.
    Well, it could only end one way i suppose.
    Not sure that i totally " got it ".
    If i post a comment on a "WIP", LOOK! I'm a reader that's all, and i can only tell how i feel, as a READER, giving/offering feedback. Hoping to learn and grow here. So please, tell me where i'm going wrong.

Me? I'm just a fly on the wall.

Look! I'm trying, okay?

One can but dream, if only i had dared.

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong" Mahatma Gandhi.
    Alas, i am weak.

I must find a way to Eastbourne and i so wish that i could dance.

Blog Entries
    Hello everyone.
    I'm currently reading Robert Jordan's wheel of time series. I'm on book six and completly addicted. I enjoy seeing what everyone else is reading and seeing titles/authors I have never heard of that I may read in the future is awsome. a great thread.
    Fancy joining a photgraphy group? The check out the Hidden Content group.

Visit My Blog to get to know me better.Hidden Content Hidden Content A fun group of like minded new writers.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content A place for young writers to talk and chill.

Why not check out the Hidden Content and join in the latest challenge discussions.

Reading "Delicious Foods" by James Hanaham.

Saw this on the Publisher's Weekly list of best books of 2015 then when I looked it up on Amazon, saw how many other lists it was on so I bought it. It is going to be one of those books that stays with me for a long time. Very gritty, dark, heartbreaking so far. But one of the reviews promised a bit of hope/redemption before it is all done. The voice is so unique, the writing wonderful. I keep going back and rereading paragraphs, in awe of the writer's skill. One of the narrators is Scotty who tells it like it is. Scotty is actually 'crack' cocaine and tells crackhead Darlene's story from within her mixed up head. Have been so busy, I can only read it when I go to bed. Bleary-eyed from several LONG nights where I couldn't put it down.

NOTABLE BOOK OF THE YEAR: New York Times, Washington Post

A BEST BOOK OF THE YEAR: NPR, Kirkus, BuzzFeed, National Post, Kansas City Star

TOP 10 BOOKS OF THE YEAR: Publishers Weekly

TOP 15 BOOKS OF THE YEAR: BookPage

Quote Originally Posted by TKent View Post
    Reading "Delicious Foods" by James Hanaham.

Saw this on the Publisher's Weekly list of best books of 2015 then when I looked it up on Amazon, saw how many other lists it was on so I bought it. It is going to be one of those books that stays with me for a long time. Very gritty, dark, heartbreaking so far. But one of the reviews promised a bit of hope/redemption before it is all done. The voice is so unique, the writing wonderful. I keep going back and rereading paragraphs, in awe of the writer's skill. One of the narrators is Scotty who tells it like it is. Scotty is actually 'crack' cocaine and tells crackhead Darlene's story from within her mixed up head. Have been so busy, I can only read it when I go to bed. Bleary-eyed from several LONG nights where I couldn't put it down.

NOTABLE BOOK OF THE YEAR: New York Times, Washington Post

A BEST BOOK OF THE YEAR: NPR, Kirkus, BuzzFeed, National Post, Kansas City Star

TOP 10 BOOKS OF THE YEAR: Publishers Weekly

TOP 15 BOOKS OF THE YEAR: BookPage
    ETA: If you read and like this book, I highly recommend WF member, Terry Durbin's book, Chase.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12YEARS_SPLASH_2789383c.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	23.2 KB 
ID:	12375

ain't seen the film yet...
    The only one who can heal you is you.

Blog Entries
    I had fished out my reading specs and was sitting outside in the sunshine reading "Mother Tongue" by Bill Bryson, when the puppy decided to tangle her tether round one of my wheels. SIGH

Took specs off and leaned down to untangle her...

...and did the usual, fell off my chair and face hit the ground. Rough concrete.

And I wondered why that book [and others] are still waiting to be read?
    If you talk to a cat they look at you as if you are way below their intelligence to even listen.
    However, when you talk to a dog they look at you with such admiration and really do seem to understand what you are saying.
    Even if it is a bit silly...
    ...they still think you are wonderful.

Mayflower by Nathaniel Philbrick. Pretty tight academics, for a patriotic paean. Miles Standish has just carried out his first preemptive beheading against a neighboring sachem and his entourage.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. Steven Wright

Blog Entries
    I've just started reading a Hemingway, borrowed it from my local library for no other reason than i thought that i ought to. And i'm finding it hard going. I find his writing ( please forgive me i'm new to this ) very similar to that of Orwell's but EH simply isn't pulling me in/pulling me along like GO did. Maybe that says much about their backgrounds or the times in which they lived, or both.
    Sticking with it for now anyway.

" Across the river and into the trees."
    Last edited by dither; March 6th, 2016 at 09:09 AM.
    If i post a comment on a "WIP", LOOK! I'm a reader that's all, and i can only tell how i feel, as a READER, giving/offering feedback. Hoping to learn and grow here. So please, tell me where i'm going wrong.

Me? I'm just a fly on the wall.

Look! I'm trying, okay?

One can but dream, if only i had dared.

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong" Mahatma Gandhi.
    Alas, i am weak.

I must find a way to Eastbourne and i so wish that i could dance.

The Queen of Bedlam by Robert McCammon, book two of his Matthew Corbett series, set in colonial times America. Annoyingly, these books are really hard to get your hands on in the UK due to some sort of publishing/distribution clusterfudge.
    "If at first you don't succeed, aff wi' the bunnet, and in wi' the heid." - Old Glasgow proverb.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content