What are you reading now? - Page 133

Thread: What are you reading now?

I just received my new copy of Robert McCammon's They Thirst. I haven't read it in more than 30 years, but remember it as one of the best horror novels I'd read up to that point. It had been out of print for a long time, so to get a new one is quite a treat. It's a vampire novel from a time before vampires became de rigueur. I like monsters.
    “Fools” said I, “You do not know
    Silence like a cancer grows
    Hear my words that I might teach you
    Take my arms that I might reach you”
    But my words like silent raindrops fell
    And echoed in the wells of silence : Simon & Garfunkel

Those who enjoy stirring the chamber-pot should be required to lick the spoon.

Our job as writers is to make readers dream, to infiltrate their minds with our words and create a new reality; a reality not theirs, and not ours, but a new, unique combination of both.

Visit Amazon and the Kindle Store to check out Reflections in a Black Mirror, and Chase

Hidden Content

Blog Entries
    Right now I am reading Blade Playing Dead by Tim Bowler.
    Hidden Content
    PlayStation gamer and Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn lover!
    Hidden Content

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dither View Post
    I got a copy of Orwell's nineteen eighty four today and i'm looking to starting it.
    Expectation is high, i've read quite a few of his.
    I've read about two thirds of this and like wow!
    Orwell, how amazing WAS that man?
    Incredible.
    If i post a comment on a "WIP", LOOK! I'm a reader that's all, and i can only tell how i feel, as a READER, giving/offering feedback. Hoping to learn and grow here. So please, tell me where i'm going wrong.

Me? I'm just a fly on the wall.

Look! I'm trying, okay?

One can but dream, if only i had dared.

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong" Mahatma Gandhi.
    Alas, i am weak.

I must find a way to Eastbourne and i so wish that i could dance.

Now working on:

A Clash of Kings- George R.R Martin (surprisingly good)
    My Best Stories- Alice Munro (very good)

Quote Originally Posted by dither View Post
    I've read about two thirds of this and like wow!
    Orwell, how amazing WAS that man?
    Incredible.
    I started with Animal Farm and 1984 back in high school. His non-fiction is REALLY good too. The Road to Wigan Pier and Down and Out in Paris and London are also amazing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by danielstj View Post
    Now working on:

A Clash of Kings- George R.R Martin (surprisingly good)
    My Best Stories- Alice Munro (very good)

I started with Animal Farm and 1984 back in high school. His non-fiction is REALLY good too. The Road to Wigan Pier and Down and Out in Paris and London are also amazing.
    Yes, i've read those two. Enjoyed them both.
    If i post a comment on a "WIP", LOOK! I'm a reader that's all, and i can only tell how i feel, as a READER, giving/offering feedback. Hoping to learn and grow here. So please, tell me where i'm going wrong.

Me? I'm just a fly on the wall.

Look! I'm trying, okay?

One can but dream, if only i had dared.

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong" Mahatma Gandhi.
    Alas, i am weak.

I must find a way to Eastbourne and i so wish that i could dance.

'A Whole Life' by Rober Seethaler; translated by Charlotte Collins, lovely writing, a short book that demonstrates beautifully that 'less is more'. This is seventy eight years in one hundred and forty eight pages, and you know him intimately.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

Blog Entries
    Just picked up a copy of a new book. Extreme Honor ( the true heroes series) by Piper J. Drake. The 2 main characters are brought together by a soldier dog suffering the loss of his partner. The man is a soldier / dog trainer, the woman is a dog whisperer.

I have a like for stories involving animals that bring people together. This one promises to be good.
    "Sometimes I wish I could stay asleep, not because my life is that dull and boring but because my dreams are just that good." - Mindy Dyksterhouse (MzSnowleopard)
    Admin @ Hidden Content & Hidden Content
    Student @ Hidden Content
    Hidden Content / Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by danielstj View Post
    Definitely let me know what you think escorial. I'm a big fan of what I've read by William Faulkner.
    Got to page 22 and thought who said what,where are they...so I went back and read the forward by Richard Hughes to get my bearings..a simpleton who has no concept of time..OK..start again..just got to page 60 and can't read anymore..I struggle to get who's saying what and to whom.. an were they are is beyond me..had enough..this an the last book I read have both been unfinished...well man like hemingway another great author I just can't read.....
    The only one who can heal you is you.

My favorite recommendations to people wanting to read Faulkner are Intruder in the Dust and Go Down Moses. I am a great fan of his work and I did manage to choke my way through Sound and Fury once, but I'd never do it again. Of all his many books he never wrote another like it again either. I do sometimes look at bits of S&F's fourth section, which is fairly pertinent to the whole saga. Otherwise, burn the damn thing. ( A fan of Steinbeck might especially appreciate Intruder I think.)
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. Steven Wright

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer....been a while but I'm looking forward to it again
    The only one who can heal you is you.