What are you reading now? - Page 11

Page 11 of 246 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192161111211 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading now?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Blazer View Post
    Good choice, Frosty! I thoroughly enjoyed it.
    It's cool and I'm enjoying it. I got it in February for my birthday but because of school I never really got a chance to sit down and put a good dent in it. Now I'm about halfway through and it's getting good.

I'm also working on a graphic novel I got today called Kill Shakespeare Vol 1: The Sea of Troubles which my Shakespeare professor found out at a conference and recommended it to us. The art is really cool and I like the idea that heroes like Hamlet, Juliet, Romeo, Othello and Falstaff are going up against Richard III, Lady Macbeth and Iago who are after Shakespeare's magic quill to rewrite the present and take over.

"Three" by Ted Dekker. Surprisingly well-written

Their Eyes Were Watching God, by Zora Neale Hurston.

It's so depressing. Not the story, but my reading experience of it. This is a school assignment, and it's the first time I've ever considered heading over to a cliff note website. I can't get into it, and the writing is kind of annoying. For me, it's one of those stories you dislike so much that you don't even have a clue what's going on.

I hated school reading assignments. Good luck with yours! At least you can comfort yourself in knowing that if you hate it, it's likely your classmates hate it, too.

I'm currently reading a variety of film scripts, to study story structure. I must say, though, the narrative style of movie scripts ("INT DAY LABORATORY - KEVIN grabs a RED THERMOS and drinks. A beat. Cut to SARAH. Looks annoyed. The window is CRACKING!") is simply terrible. Awful, awful prose. At least to me, I have been wincing and grimacing the whole way. But, I do it in the name of science!

If I want my book to be a movie, I might as well learn how the pros do it. *slaps forehead* Just you watch, my next story will be written like:

Exterior, night, a park. Michael is WALKING.

Voice Over of random thug, "Nice coat."

Close up of Michael's face. He looks annoyed.

Thug steps into view. "I said, nice coat."

A beat.

Michael clenches his fists.

They fight. Intense action sequence. Thug gets the upper hand.

Close up of Michael's eyes. They look wild. Thug produces a knife. It's close to Michael's eyes!

Cut to dormitory.

Last edited by Kyle R; May 20th, 2012 at 07:38 PM.

I hate the majority of them too! Just never as bad as this one. My previous assignment was The Great Gatsby. It wasn't nearly as bad, but I still resented it because it involved doing work. I spent a lot of time reading it secretly wishing that some of the characters would die. Whereas in this book, I'm not wishing some of the characters dead, I'm hoping all of them die. Maybe in the form of an explosion or some horrifying scene.

Good luck to you as well! It used to be my goal to write a movie script. Until I actually read the way one was formatted. Then I just pretended the goal never existed.

"How's the script coming along?"

"What are you talking about?"

Hope your dedication to something horrible is a lot better than mine!

Quote Originally Posted by Fin View Post
    in this book, I'm not wishing some of the characters dead, I'm hoping all of them die. Maybe in the form of an explosion or some horrifying scene.
    Lol!

It's the makings of a brilliant Fan-Fiction piece. The "Everybody dies in a horrifying explosion" scene. And the audience cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by KyleColorado View Post
    If I want my book to be a movie, I might as well learn how the pros do it. *slaps forehead* Just you watch, my next story will be written like:
    Spec scripts aren't supposed to include directorial instructions, i.e., 'close-up on so-and-so'. Spec scripts are just the story in scripted form, and some of them are really good. Look online for the Se7en script, or Children of Men.
    "The only calibration that counts is how much heart people invest, how much they ignore their fears of being hurt or caught out or humiliated. And the only thing people regret is that they didn't live boldly enough, that they didn't invest enough heart, didn't love enough. Nothing else really counts at all. It was a saying about noble figures in old Irish poems—he would give his hawk to any man that asked for it, yet he loved his hawk better than men nowadays love their bride of tomorrow. He would mourn a dog with more grief than men nowadays mourn their fathers.

And that's how we measure out our real respect for people—by the degree of feeling they can register, the voltage of life they can carry and tolerate—and enjoy.
    "

Live like a mighty river: a letter from Ted Hughes to his son, Nicholas

Hidden Content

I've just dived (or would the Americans say 'dove'?) into Natsume Soseki's I am a Cat. I enjoyed Kokoro immensely, so figured this would be a good punt. It's the three-in-one volume edition.

i think it's 'had diven'

Checking out 'Brief History of time' Steven Hawking. And now I cant sleep because I'm thinking too much again.. but that's a good thing
    "art: as the spirit wanes the form appears" - Charles Bukowski
    Hidden Content