What are you reading now? - Page 102

Page 102 of 227 FirstFirst ... 25292949596979899100101102103104105106107108109110112152202 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 2265

Thread: What are you reading now?

Xmas, Jamaica Plain, Melanie Rae Thon

Another outstanding short story.
    "The only calibration that counts is how much heart people invest, how much they ignore their fears of being hurt or caught out or humiliated. And the only thing people regret is that they didn't live boldly enough, that they didn't invest enough heart, didn't love enough. Nothing else really counts at all. It was a saying about noble figures in old Irish poems—he would give his hawk to any man that asked for it, yet he loved his hawk better than men nowadays love their bride of tomorrow. He would mourn a dog with more grief than men nowadays mourn their fathers.

And that's how we measure out our real respect for people—by the degree of feeling they can register, the voltage of life they can carry and tolerate—and enjoy.
    "

Live like a mighty river: a letter from Ted Hughes to his son, Nicholas

Hidden Content

Usher's Passing - Robert McCammon

"Life is a risk; so is writing. You have to love it." ~ Richard Matheson

Mr. Mercedes - S King
    MJ Preston is an Author and Artist at Large who hails from Canada.
    He is the author of the horror novel: Hidden Content and the Sci-fi thriller Hidden Content
    To learn more: visit: Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Started reading Phantoms in the Brain. A neurology book. This is my actual major in school. So, I hope to find it an interesting read.
    Buy the ticket take the ride.

I'm currently reading the seventh book of the Dexter series by Jeff Lindsay titled "Dexter's Final Cut." The TV series (also awesome) is based on the first book in the series ("Darkly Dreaming Dexter) and on Dexter himself. It's an amazing series - filled with dark humor and the psychological twist of the main character being a serial killer who only kills killers... Jeff Lindsay is likely to write more, too!

Well right now I'm finishing up the Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger. My next book to read should be the collected tales of Nikolai Gogol

The Log from the Sea of Cortez.....even though it was published after Cannery Row and before Sweet Thursday i would recommend reading it before the other two as it will give you an insight into the main character Doc based on a true life figure in Ed Rickets...for me the best stuff i have ever had the pleasure to read so far.
    The only one who can heal you is you.

Swamplandia - Karen Russell
    "art: as the spirit wanes the form appears" - Charles Bukowski
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by mrmustard615 View Post
    Well right now I'm finishing up the Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger. My next book to read should be the collected tales of Nikolai Gogol

would like to know your thoughts on this book?
    The only one who can heal you is you.

Well there we're a couple of reasons I wanted to read the book to begin with. Firstly I had heard of the popularity of the book in my generation and beyond (I grew up in the 1970's). Second as a big John Lennon fan I was intrigued as to why his assassin felt like he would be influenced by this particular book. As for the latter I only really found passage where Holden Caufield himself even so much as fantasied as to even use a gun. This on a pimp named Maurice. It's tragic if that was the inspiration for a night that for me compares to the JFK assassination or 9/11. I mean Holden wanted to spend the spend the weekend at a hotel to experience life so to speak, not to actually shoot somebody.
    As for Holden Caufield I think it's safe to say he was a teenager who clearly lacked any real direction. I think JD Salinger had the pulse on what could be going through a disillusioned teenager's mind, even one with the privileges that Holden has. He seems to misinterpret other people's intentions (Mr. Antolini for example) and certainly seems quite naive. At the same time he doesn't seem to dislike people as people who may have not read the book might seem to think.
    Overall I guess I'd have to say Catcher in the Rye is a good insight into a certain psychology of a young man who is still trying to figure out himself.