Self publish a book then move to a traditional publisher?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Self publish a book then move to a traditional publisher?

Self publish a book then move to a traditional publisher?

I was thinking about self publishing a book, and only printing a certain amount of copies, and attempting to sell them. Could this be a possible transition into getting a book traditionally published? so say if i sell a certain amount and show a publisher that my book has potential would they be more likely to pick it up? i feel like this could be a better idea since i have no previous writing credentials, any thoughts on this?

yes it is a good idea, in fact,many well known authors couldn't get their first book published, they went to self publishing route and later, traditional one

Qld : Somewhere near kangaroos & possums & kookaburras & galahs, but no bearded dragons
    @Yuk : Can you name any? How long ago did they take that route? And how well known were they in their local community at the time? Finally what they needed to do to sell their self published book?
    Caution : Doesn't come with 1698-B sanity certificate
    I'd kill for a blueberry scroll, or maim for a apple one. Alas...

How Darcie Chan become the best selling author, just read and you will understand. Important: READ the comments too.

How Darcie Chan Became a Best-Selling Author - WSJ.com

The book would have to be outstanding for a commercial publisher to pick it up after it's already been published. After all, first rights are gone. Also, from what I've seen/read, they tend to expect the author to continue writing books that will sell at least that well - and through the commercial publisher. So, no, I wouldn't count on that to open any doors.

And no disrespect for Ms Chan, but it's once again a story of the exception, not the rule.

It seems to be possible, what percentage it happens for I don't know. Most self published authors sell about 200 copies, then they run out of friends and family My guess would be if you could demonstrate you could sell substantially more than that a publisher would at least show interest. Shadowmancer was an example.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

Can I ask, have you tried submitting to the main houses? What's your rejection rate? (Out of the partial (3 chapter, synopsis etc) submissions, how many have asked to see the full manuscript?)

If it's a good story, presented professionally, they'll review it without you having credentials (so long as they accept unsolicited material).
    ".... Space... space... space -- cookie -- space. Huh? Seriously, there's something wrong with my echo."

Prof. Doof (Phineas and Ferb)

This is what I think about self publishing: it is a tool for talented writers who can't get accept by any agent to push their works out there. I never think about it as a way to publish a crappy book in hope that someone may buy it. I knew some very crappy self publish books out there. Self publish should be use only when you have talent to write a very very good story and believe in yourself that people will love your work as much as you.

But I still think, if a book is good, even after piles of rejection letters, someone will finally see your talent and want to represent you.

J.K Rowling was rejected 7 times before some one showed interest, now look where she is!

Being rejected could just mean the publisher/agent you sent it to wasn't paying attention that day

There are innumerable reasons why a book isn't picked up right away (if ever). True, some just aren't written well, but the list includes: no open slots at that time (something I just heard about ), they've just signed a book that's similar, the ms was sent to an inappropriate agent for genre or subject, the book just doesn't catch their interest (subjective decision), that type of book doesn't have a large enough audience... For just about each of these reasons, there's an alternative solution - try again. Different time of year, different agent, editing, revamping - and of course, always working on the next project which might be timed right, sent to the right agent, and written better. There are good reasons for self-publishing - you just have to make sure yours is one of them.

Check out various agent's blogs - many of them have given their reasons for not taking on an author. Also check out some of the less bellicose self-publisher's blogs - I've seen many that tell you when (and when not) to go that route.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast