Proxy Servers

Thread: Proxy Servers

Baron

Proxy Servers

The site has been under heavy attack from spammers over the last few months, which has caused a lot of restrictions on new members. With most spammers, a report is sent to Akismet and the account is deleted. The report means that spam IPs are entered into anti-spam databases.

Most spammers register with anonymous proxy IP addresses. Many of these are blackhat SEO reps (or bots) seeking to run up backlinks. Members who use an anonymous proxy should be aware that they may well be sharing an IP with the spammers. As a result, they may find their own access to the site blocked. All new registrations from anonymous proxy addresses are refused. To ensure continued, uninterrupted use of the site it's recommended that people use real IP addresses.

Great Baron................... If you know the difference, which I don't. Please explain? If I, from my home access the Net through my ISP, then by dictionary definition, they are acting proxy for my actions, does that make them a "Proxy Server", if it does, then presumably 99.99% of the world are accessing the net via a proxy server. I assume that in your terms a Proxy Server has a technical meaning seperate from its dictionary definition.

I am thick and need clafication in words of one syllable or fewer...
    A man in possession of a wooden spoon must be in want of a pot to stir.

Baron
    Unfortunately, anonymous is four syllables.

Bloggs - The proxy allows you to hide who you are and where you are. For example, every site I visit can immediately recognise that I'm in Belize. The proxy is a relay. Your traffic with the Internet goes from your ISP to the proxy server then on to the site you are contacting. Thus your location and identity are hidden.
    El día ha sido bueno. La noche será larga.

Honoured/Sadly Missed The Backward OX's Avatar
    Up the Creek without a paddle, Queensland, Australia
    Even genuine ISP servers have their problems. Mine is located hours away, on the coast, and for some reason unknown to me I keep getting junk across the top of this page showing bikini-clad beauties wanting to meet me.

Correction: The variety of junk depends on the content of what I post. Sometimes I get junk about writing courses to be held at the Noosa Heads Hilton.

Even so, it's all very puzzling.

xO - The ads I'm getting are not so interesting. A couple of days ago one for the Peoples' United Party showed up, and right now there's an ad for a free DNS server. Let's trade. I'll take the bikinis.
    El día ha sido bueno. La noche será larga.

Thanks for the heads up, Baron.

I never say it, but I very very much appreciate the lack of spammers on here.
    I don't write stories, I lick them out of the ice and let them find their own way.Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by j.w.olson View Post
    Thanks for the heads up, Baron.

I never say it, but I very very much appreciate the lack of spammers on here.
    This is very much due to the great staff we have here. The very few that slip by Baron (he really can't be everywhere all the time) are quickly spotted and dealt with by the moderators. We also appreciate the great member's here who spot this junk and report it. It's a team effort.
    There is no life I know
    To compare with pure imagination.
    Living there you’ll be free
    If you truly wish to be.~ Willy Wonka

Quote Originally Posted by The Backward OX View Post
    Even genuine ISP servers have their problems. Mine is located hours away, on the coast, and for some reason unknown to me I keep getting junk across the top of this page showing bikini-clad beauties wanting to meet me.
    I've been getting ads about dating sites from all over the world. The ads were different (and cleaner) before.
    "The greatest achievement was at first and for a time a dream. The oak sleeps in the acorn, the bird waits in the egg, and in the highest vision of the soul a waking angel stirs. Dreams are the seedlings of realities." ~ James Allen

"Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." ~ Henry Van Dyke