Clichés in Writing? - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Clichés in Writing?

Quote Originally Posted by astroannie View Post
    I think cliches can be either noise or signal, depending how they're used. The reason cliches become cliches is that they contain truth-value. Otherwise people wouldn't repeat them into cliche-hood.

That said, you also want to demonstrate beyond-the-box thinking. "Hotter than Hell," is boring. It's a good image, but if you want to show your skills as a writer, you'll find a more creative way to describe it. But if you're putting it in a charactger's mouth, then, "It was hotter than Hell the day that Brady kid..." works. Because real people, most of them, speak cliche.
    It's called turning a trope upside-down, people. If you're gonna use it, use in a way the reader isn't expecting.

Example: "It was the coldest I'd ever been and hotter than hell inside between my ears. That cold-heat rippled through my body as I trudged down the sidewalk. I wasn't about to let them see me tremble, though."

Honoured/Sadly Missed The Backward OX's Avatar
    Up the Creek without a paddle, Queensland, Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by astroannie View Post
    In prose, such as a recipe, you *want* to tell the reader that the kneaded dough is like a baby's bottom.
    Why? If I wanted to tell a reader about the quality of kneaded dough, I sure as hell !!Cliché Alert!! wouldn’t be using a baby’s bottom as a figure of speech. The image it creates is simply…simply…words fail me! !!Cliché Alert!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123