Wilson's Grave - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wilson's Grave

Lisa--I am fine...Just taking a walk on the dark side...Peace...Jul

The fact that this is a true story makes me shudder. A very haunting poem, delicately written. I don't think I'm going to forget this easily.
    "The greatest achievement was at first and for a time a dream. The oak sleeps in the acorn, the bird waits in the egg, and in the highest vision of the soul a waking angel stirs. Dreams are the seedlings of realities." ~ James Allen

"Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." ~ Henry Van Dyke

Dear Candid Petunia--always a pleasure to have you read and comment on my poetry, thank you so much. Peace...Jul

What an eerie little poem. Love it. I have to agree that the 19th century feel came across very well. It makes me want to play with period piece poems!

JRB

JRBurgher--Thank you for reading and taking the time to comment. Thank you for noticing the 19th century feel of this poem. I have to confess, I was eavesdropping on a private conversation[I was about 10 years old at the time] Between my Mother and an OLD woman[about 83--or 84 years old ]who wanted my mother's help in finding the grave...Her manner of speaking was quite "old fashioned" . Thanks again for reading. Peace...Jul

Blog Entries
    Jul, your "White Horses" was brilliantly chilling but this poem is the true gallop into the dark. Expertly crafted rhyme. I can't rhyme for the life of me (only slant ryhme, at my best) but I know when I "hear" perfect pace.

Yes, this piece, as with your others, has a 19th century feel but it's not weighty. Hinted at. A misty atmosphere you seemingly effortlessy create.

Your last stanza. Something out of Hawthorne. Shocking but far from being written for the value.

Venerated verse, personified! Laurie
    “The man who cannot visualize a horse galloping on a tomato is an idiot.”
    Andre Breton

I read this again today... it is truly THAT inspiring. The only thing I can think of, is whether a child born with epilepsy or some other disease might have been seen as evil or full of demons in the 19th century. Then there are children conceived due to rape, incest, or adultery. I feel horrible for those who were punished for the sins of others.

Shovelfuls of gravely soil being thrown upon a shallow grave.
    Thunder in the distance, rain streaming down. Every breath seen in the bone-chilling cold.
    Horse sounds in the not-so-far distance and the creak of an old wagon.
    The muffled wailing of a young woman in tortured existence, never to be forgotten.

The old man finishes a quick prayer over the shallow grave,
    God have mercy on his soul.
    A long swig from a mostly-empty bottle.
    The deed is done.

Requiescat in pace. (Latin for Rest In Peace)

JRB
    Last edited by JRBurgher; February 25th, 2012 at 12:49 AM.

JRBurgher--Incest it is...Perpetrated by a man of "God"- blasting his congregation for sinning, then behind closed doors...well you can fill in the blanks...
    I an honored that you read it again. OH BTW--loved your imagery! Peace...Jul

Dear Laurie---Your critique is one that I will treasure...And thank you for remembering " White Horses"---That poem is my favorite...Peace my friend---Jul

Three words Firemajic... I love it! Hauntingly beautiful and inspiring.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast