simultaneous submissions

Submit your creative works to Flashes >>HERE<< .

Thread: simultaneous submissions

simultaneous submissions

this is somewhat of a "newbie" question, maybe. most magazine publications state in their guidelines:
    "no simultaneous submissions". i learned from submitting my 1st work that many times, these places
    take many months to even respond with a rejection.
    i have a problem with this kind of lagging waiting period between submissions.
    is this a guideline most writers ignore?
    this latest story i've written, i 1st sent it to a publication which has always responded within 3 days.
    i received a rejection from them...and this time i just ignored that guideline when sending it out
    other places and sent it out to 3 different publications simultaneously.
    i mean...do they have a way of knowing?

As long as you are being rejected you are safe, if more than one decides to use it they sure do have a way of knowing, and I guess that will be the last thing they use from you. Keep a file so you have a record of what you have sent to who, update every so often and anything you haven't heard from for six months or so send on to the next publication on your list. It is tempting to want to send out lots at once, but a continual, methodical dribble will cover just as many bases and an editor who sees your name regularly might even think 'that's familiar' and have a read before throwing at the bin.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

Bilston, the Black Country, in the heart of England
    I've come across some fiction periodicals who accept submissions electronically, and whose submissions page allows you to withdraw your work from consideration if accepted elsewhere.
    "I think a life is a plot. It's probably the elementary plot. I came across a quotation of Patrick White, the Australian writer, just about the time I needed it. He said he never bothers with plot. He just writes about life 'limping along toward death.' That made me feel much better, to keep this in my mind."

Carol Shields.

Or look at other magazines - most that I've checked on say they accept sim subs, but want to be notified immediately if someone else accepts.

I feel that it is oppressive for magazines to take upwards of 6 months to reject your work while retaining exclusive rights to do so. If they can't make up their minds quicker than that, it should be their problem, specially as some don't even tell you if they're not going to use your work, what do they expect writers to do, keep turning out new work till the four horsemen appear on the doorstep, on the grounds that it has been sent to Authorpoint magazine and they haven't rejected it yet....
    A man in possession of a wooden spoon must be in want of a pot to stir.

You can also check on duotrope, if they're on there -- most mags have stats on there that tell you how long it usually takes the mag to respond. I submitted to one that wrote back within a day, and most others I've chosen have written back within a week or two. Then again, I'm starting at the smaller non-paying journals, so they probably also have fewer submissions.

But yeah, if they say they don't accept simultaneous submissions, you should honor that. If enough time passes, you should be able to send follow-up inquiries.
    I don't write stories, I lick them out of the ice and let them find their own way.Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
    Or look at other magazines - most that I've checked on say they accept sim subs, but want to be notified immediately if someone else accepts.
    yeah. i've seen a couple of these and figured that would be just what i do with all of them.
    i'm starting to find resources now with many more options than i had previously. before i was using
    a market site with only about 30 or so publications. i found a new source with hundreds of online
    submission possibilities now, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloggsworth View Post
    I feel that it is oppressive for magazines to take upwards of 6 months to reject your work while retaining exclusive rights to do so.
    How many magazines do that? I've been sending out some short stories to SF magazines and the response times have varied from two days to two months... AFAIR the two months was Asimov's, which doesn't surprise me given the number of stories they must receive. The less popular magazines' response times were days, not weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by movieman View Post
    How many magazines do that? I've been sending out some short stories to SF magazines and the response times have varied from two days to two months... AFAIR the two months was Asimov's, which doesn't surprise me given the number of stories they must receive. The less popular magazines' response times were days, not weeks.
    I would say it depends on the number of submissions received. The smaller, less prestigious zines tend to have very fast response rates. I've had stories accepted (or rejected) the same day I submitted them, but these places either only paid a minimal amount or nothing at all. Submit to places like The Lifted Brow or Boston Review (basically most zines that pay pro rates) and you're looking at a several month wait. The fastest response I ever got from one of the big guns was two months from AGNI, and I have a feeling I only got such a quick reply because whoever initially read the story made the decision to reject it straight from the slush pile and not send it on for further consideration.
    "People say I make strange choices, but they're not strange for me. My sickness is that I'm fascinated by human behavior, by what's underneath the surface, but the worlds inside people."
    -Johnny Depp