The First Abbreviation ever Made? - Page 11

Read our latest author interview on Flashes >>HERE<< .

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011

Thread: The First Abbreviation ever Made?

Honoured/Sadly Missed The Backward OX's Avatar
    Up the Creek without a paddle, Queensland, Australia
    Dunno about the hyphen.

Re parliament, do you by any chance mean “pronounced” rather than “spelt”? It’s just the lazy way some people have of slurring their words. Struth. You should listen to Aussies talking if you want to hear some beaut pronunciations. They all talk with their mouths shut, to keep the blowflies out. Ridgy-didge.

Quote Originally Posted by Nacian View Post
    This is another intrigue to me can anyone some light on this one?
    on a television channel
    PARLIAMENT is spelt PARL'MENT?
    is this correct?
    since when do abbreviate right in the middle of a word?
    I'm sure there are other examples, but you've probably seen one very often: "ma'am" (madam).

Quote Originally Posted by Nacian View Post
    2 the use of the HYPHEN
    when did English start joining two words using a hyphen like Jean-Paul Gaultier?
    I know in French it is done frequently but I was not aware of it to also in English.
    As far as I know, the English didn't start it, but simply adopted the Continental practice - first when Romans used hyphens to separate the elements of a date (12-12-12); again when Anglic (Germanic) crossed the Channel with compound words.

The use of hyphens in compound words has been in flux since the very beginning, with many becoming single words and others reverting to two words - the old Anglic fish-er-man became fisher-man and then fisherman even before the Normans moved in (in 1066).

The longest-lasting hyphenated compound words are probably those of three or more words, like merry-go-round and mother-in-law. Some, like eighty-year-old elephants, are likely to last because they provide clear meaning (compare: ... commonly affects eighty year old elephants ... with ... commonly affects eighty-year-old elephants)

Some modern hyphenated compound words barely lasted a generation; solid-state for instance, which has already reverted to two words solid state. Many words with hyphenated prefixes are now single words - co-operation, anti-gravity, non-conformist are examples.

ETA: I haven't seen that abbreviation for Parliament; I have seen Parl't and Govt (for Government).

One compound word which gives you the double-whammy is will-o'-wisp ...

another is ne'er-do-well
    Last edited by Cran; October 30th, 2011 at 05:13 AM.
    "I don't know ... I'm making it up as I go ..." - Dr I Jones

Nature abhors perfection - cats abhor a vacuum!

"Faith can move mountains - she's a big girl!" (unknown/graffiti)

If I act like I own the place, it's because I did.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I'm sure there are other examples, but you've probably seen one very often: "ma'am" (madam).
    Gamer
    this one ma'am is for pronuciation sake and makes sense b

but
    parliement and parl'ment makes no difference in the way they are both pronounced.
    they sound exactly the same and therefore begs the question:
    what is going on here?
    Last edited by Nacian; October 31st, 2011 at 11:54 AM.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011