What Do you look for in Poetry? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Do you look for in Poetry?

I'm not much of a poet anymore, but I've always just loved poems that express a common thing in a totally unique way. It's a lot rarer than it sounds; way too many people try always to make sense while writing poetry. They need to understand: poetry is emotions put into words, and emotions don't always make sense.

I also hate the use of conjunctions in poems, unless they are an absolute necessity.

I love image that's what I look for in poetry.

Blog Entries
    Great rhyme scheme (I have to be able to say it to myself), vivid imagery even if they are not describing a scene, and heavy emotion, I lean much towards the darker types of emotion and more macabre literature

I look for something I can relate to. I look for something melodramatic. I love anything that has the courage to say the things I'm too scared to. I love well painted images .

As cliché as it may sound, I look for truth. I enjoy the poet's words, having been culminated from a wealth of life experience, hardship, joy, and whatever else. They frequently touch upon similar ground, though some have an entirely new perspective altogether.

I look for something that grabs my eyes and wont let go 'til the end--something that reads itself to me. Something that has a point; something that has meaning. Even if that meaning is only found within the way it has been presented.

Poetry is feeling. Poetry is the possibility of the impossible. Poetry is what makes my heart sing and my life worth living. Therefore I am looking for feelings, beautiful metaphors and the passion of the passionate, to remind me that I am alive and not all is lost.

I don't look for anything specific... I actually expect the poem to surprise me with something beautiful, or maybe sad, scary, crazy, amazing... A new idea, or a new way of seing an old idea, or just an image that makes me have my own ideas... Oh, forget what I first wrote. I look for creativity! XD

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12