A Song of Ice and Fire

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Song of Ice and Fire

A Song of Ice and Fire

Has anybody else read these books? It's my favorie series of all time, including all of the gross stuff. Hell, maybe even BECAUSE OF all of that stuff.
    Death
    Incest
    Rape
    All those good things.
    I don't honestly know if I've ever read a good novel without death in it....hmmm...
    Im not saying death necessarily makes a book good. But...I mean...Name one book you like that has absolutely no "human death" in it at all.
    Hard isn't it?
    Anyways, these books are epic. I highly recommend them to anyone who likes high fantasy.
    The story spans over continents and all of the characters are so...real. That you feel like your heart's ripped out every time one of them kicks the bucket.
    And Martin isn't afraid of taking out main characters either. Where most authors give their characters invisible shields that somehow stop a knife inches from the throat, Martin will have that blade not only driven into the person's esophagus, but describe graphically the blood spraying from the wound, the knife punching out the back of the man's neck, his final word dying on his tongue as all oxygen leaves his body in a wet, bloody gargle.
    It's effin great.
    And there is A LOT of sex.there is so much sex. And he goes into detail, where most guys would go "they did it" then move on. Martin writes two page sex scenes that are so realistic and in depth. You read every gasp, every moan, every thrust. And, ugh, you just feel like you're there.
    Then there's this one scene where they try to murder this 9 year old. hahaha
    Fuggin. Epic.

You should all read them.
    This is the way it was meant to be.
    Valar Morghulis.

Baron
    Name one book you like that has absolutely no "human death" in it at all.
    Watership Down by Richard Adams. Are you sure you only want one?

That wasn't really the point Mr.Baron. I'm saying a good percentage of literature contains human death, therefore the literature we write may also contain human death and be legitimate work.

And do rabbit's die in this book? Because I assumed "human" meant the dominant being in the series. Like if my main character was a wolf, in a world of wolves, then that would constitute a human death.

Otherwise, I guess I'll start writing graphic cat-people fights instead.
    Valar Morghulis.

His books are by far the best I've ever read, out of literally more than a thousand fantasy and sci-fi novels.

Like Thomas Dietz, (one of my idols--youtube his name if you want to see something fun) he's in a class of his own, and none can compare.

I'd change my sexual orientation for that man.

By the way, the HBO TV adaptation of "Game of Thrones" is surprisingly good. It's actually the greatest "book-to-screen" success I've ever seen.

Yeah, the show was surprisingly good.
    But that may just be me since I had exceptionally low expectations.
    Valar Morghulis.

I also expected it to be crap, considering how high Mr. Martin set the bar. It will be very interesting to see how they present the third book, assuming they stick with the story. That one was by far my favourite. Jaime is the best character in the history of fiction.

I'm looking forward to the Battle of the Blackwater in Season 2.

And yes book 3 was the best

And I personally like Jon, Dany and Tyrion. But Jaime is definitely fourth. haha
    Valar Morghulis.

Blog Entries
    I just started book 1 on the recommendation of a dear friend. The start was a bit slow for me, but I stuck it out and am really enjoying it now. So far, I like the same characters you do, Dropkick, but I'm not really sure about Jaime at the moment since he did push Bran from that tower.
    Last edited by Offeiriad; August 11th, 2011 at 05:29 PM.
    I don't think my advice is better than anyone else's and they usually beat me to it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Offeiriad View Post
    I just started book 1 on the recommendation of a dear friend. The start was a bit slow for me, but I stuck it out and am really enjoying it now. So far, I like the same characters you do, Dropkick, but I'm not really sure about Jaime at the moment since he did push Bran from that tower.
    Jaime is intentionally set up to be a villain in the mind of the reader. However, (minor spoiler) you get to read chapters from his perspective in book three, so inevitably, your own perspective on Jaime will change as you come to understand him, not through the condemning eyes of other characters who despise him, but through the thoughts and motivations revealed from "reading his mind," so to speak.

Martin shows us how our perceptions of people are always based on limited impressions and observations, and therefore, inherently false. I love how some authors are able to do this to perfection, as Mr. Martin has.

Quote Originally Posted by Dropkick View Post
    Has anybody else read these books? It's my favorie series of all time, including all of the gross stuff. Hell, maybe even BECAUSE OF all of that stuff.
    Death
    Incest
    Rape
    All those good things.
    I don't honestly know if I've ever read a good novel without death in it....hmmm...
    Im not saying death necessarily makes a book good. But...I mean...Name one book you like that has absolutely no "human death" in it at all.
    Hard isn't it?
    Anyways, these books are epic. I highly recommend them to anyone who likes high fantasy.
    The story spans over continents and all of the characters are so...real. That you feel like your heart's ripped out every time one of them kicks the bucket.
    And Martin isn't afraid of taking out main characters either. Where most authors give their characters invisible shields that somehow stop a knife inches from the throat, Martin will have that blade not only driven into the person's esophagus, but describe graphically the blood spraying from the wound, the knife punching out the back of the man's neck, his final word dying on his tongue as all oxygen leaves his body in a wet, bloody gargle.
    It's effin great.
    And there is A LOT of sex.there is so much sex. And he goes into detail, where most guys would go "they did it" then move on. Martin writes two page sex scenes that are so realistic and in depth. You read every gasp, every moan, every thrust. And, ugh, you just feel like you're there.
    Then there's this one scene where they try to murder this 9 year old. hahaha
    Fuggin. Epic.

You should all read them.
    If death is your thing, then I recommend you read all of Shaun Hutson's work. It's not available in America so Amazon and eBay are your best places to look.

Also, if you can find it (Amazon again), read Blood Secrets by Craig Jones (not from SlipKnot). It's extremely obscure and there appears to be nothing online about the author or the book other than reviews.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast