A Song of Ice and Fire - Page 2

Submit your creative works to Flashes >>HERE<< .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Song of Ice and Fire

Quote Originally Posted by Dropkick View Post
    And yes book 3 was the best

And I personally like Jon, Dany and Tyrion. But Jaime is definitely fourth. haha
    I'm on the third now, and having just read the second noticed a definite jump in quality. Smoother writing, better scenes. George R.R. Martin must have got some practice between the two, done some other novels. I mostly like his writing style, but ye olde English rankles more often than it convinces me I'm watching a medieval fantasy play out.

The villains are too one-dimensional, and lots of filler action bogs down the story, but I actually really like the series so far, just don't think it's epicly amazing and timeless and a classic like some people. More slightly above average B+ quality. And too many names have "ae" in them, which I know sounds hypocritical, but literally every other character is named something like Laendon Renael. This is a common trapping of bad fantasy.

Tyrion rules. I want to see him get the better of his damned family. Jon I'm not as crazy about. He's too mopey and sulky.

Have read the first two. Have to say I am kind of addicted. I think the death thing is really important, not for its own sake, but because it makes his writing so unpredictable. If a main POV character can be killed off then it immediately circumvents that whole lack of tension problem you find in most franchised fiction. I don't agree that the villains are one-dimensional - Tywin and Cersei, The hound? As fantasy fiction goes they seem pretty rounded to me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by caelum View Post
    And too many names have "ae" in them, which I know sounds hypocritical, but literally every other character is named something like Laendon Renael.
    With the exception of the title of 'maester' I've encountered only two: Aemon, Aegon and Baelor. They're not characters one consistently encounters - two are from the past and the third is an aging Night Watchman.
    Last edited by Offeiriad; August 18th, 2011 at 07:57 PM.
    I don't think my advice is better than anyone else's and they usually beat me to it anyway.

I thought the first book was the best and now that I'm at the fourth my appreciation for the series has dwindled down to passingly readable.

There are interesting points and the style is decent, but nothing new. The characters are well built and his fearless handling of them is enjoyable, but it seems like he's bargaining for time, or maybe he wants to make a three book series into a six. I don't know, I just started the series with a much greater appreciation for Martin than I have now. I'd rather be reading a Glen Cook or Gene Wolfe book.

I still appreciate the series - he's up there in my list of favorites. I really want to look for other novels by Martin outside of Ice and Fire, see if they're as good or better.
    - Back for a bit, more and less.

I reccommend Fevre Dream by Martin.

And the 4th is really slow. You kinda have to go in expecting it. I was warned so it was alright. He basically filled it with the uninteresting characters and made a 5 year wait into an 11 year wait to hear what the interesting characters are doing. But 5 gets better, though it seems he's grasping for plot development at times.
    This is the way it was meant to be.
    Valar Morghulis.

I watched the series when it was aired on Sky Atlantic. My girlfriend and I were held by its spell from minute one. I've only just started reading the book, having loved series one so much. My only concern is that I fear the book and series won't differ and therefore won't surprise me at times. Otherwise I love Martin's writing style and his ability to spell out the plot in that fantastic mood set for fantasy.

Blog Entries
    I have now read two complete books and I have concluded that I don't really like Martin's writing. Why? He is wholly incapable of moving things forward. These books are thick not because they encompass years of these characters' lives but because he's documented their lives in minute and, as far as I am concerned, annoying detail. Perhaps if the books were set at 5 year intervals within the plot, I might be more interested, but it's like he feels compelled to tell you every single detail of all of his characters' lives. I've never read Tolkien, but I don't think the two can be compared.
    I don't think my advice is better than anyone else's and they usually beat me to it anyway.

I like the series. I think it is well done and interesting.

If you want a gritty, brutal fantasy, however, Joe Abercrombies Best Served Cold makes George Martin's books look like a day at Disneyland

Blog Entries
    I am currently reading Book 1 now because of HBO doing a 10 episode series of A Game of Thrones.

I do like the song of ice and fire. I had finished the first 4 books in the series. I think Martin is a good writer. But I am the minority of readers who prefer a more 'clean' version of ice and fire. Less incest, less rape, and less death of favourite characters.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast