Posting Plagiarised Work - Page 3

Submit your creative works to Flashes >>HERE<< .

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Posting Plagiarised Work

I absolutely believe that any word-for-word plagiarism is completely uncalled for and should be dealt with severely.

I also believe (at the risk of sounding like an apologist) that a work that shares thematic material, or even plot points with another should be dealt with as an unfortunate coincidence (unless otherwise revealed) and treated accordingly. In today's world of complete saturation of fiction through self-publishing, there are bound to be similarities in both theme and plot between any two works. Obviously good writers stamp their own work with excellent craftsmanship that sets it apart, but there are very few completely "new" ideas out there.

Case in point; Chuck Hogan's award-winning novel Prince of Thieves is (in places) scene-for-scene identical to the film Heat. Some critics pointed that out (especially in Ben Affleck's film adaptation), but no one accused Hogan of plagiarism. Prince of Thieves is a terrific novel BTW. I just finished it in research for my own heist book.

Bottom line is, IMO, creators of any kind (fiction, music, art) can be very quick to shout "PLAGIARISM" at the first sign of similarity. I am a person who makes a portion of his living on royalties (musical recordings) so I am sensitive to copyright issues, but I also think that too many creators (like, say, Taylor Swift with her latest lawsuit) are a little too quick to jump on the plagiarism train.

Copying and pasting to win a writing competition is vile and the people who do this have a special place in hell with sports dopers and Katy Perry, but let's make sure that the next author who writes a book about Catholicism isn't accused of plagiarizing Dan Brown.

Quote Originally Posted by violinguy View Post
    I absolutely believe that any word-for-word plagiarism is completely uncalled for and should be dealt with severely.

I also believe (at the risk of sounding like an apologist) that a work that shares thematic material, or even plot points with another should be dealt with as an unfortunate coincidence (unless otherwise revealed) and treated accordingly. In today's world of complete saturation of fiction through self-publishing, there are bound to be similarities in both theme and plot between any two works. Obviously good writers stamp their own work with excellent craftsmanship that sets it apart, but there are very few completely "new" ideas out there.

Case in point; Chuck Hogan's award-winning novel Prince of Thieves is (in places) scene-for-scene identical to the film Heat. Some critics pointed that out (especially in Ben Affleck's film adaptation), but no one accused Hogan of plagiarism. Prince of Thieves is a terrific novel BTW. I just finished it in research for my own heist book.

Bottom line is, IMO, creators of any kind (fiction, music, art) can be very quick to shout "PLAGIARISM" at the first sign of similarity. I am a person who makes a portion of his living on royalties (musical recordings) so I am sensitive to copyright issues, but I also think that too many creators (like, say, Taylor Swift with her latest lawsuit) are a little too quick to jump on the plagiarism train.

Copying and pasting to win a writing competition is vile and the people who do this have a special place in hell with sports dopers and Katy Perry, but let's make sure that the next author who writes a book about Catholicism isn't accused of plagiarizing Dan Brown.
    Hi! I'm Hairball, and don't worry dear, no one copies and pastes anything to win a competition here. There is no issue about plagiarism as far as I know, so don't worry your sweet head about it.

Have a great day.

Most people each other copy, the only question in %

Quote Originally Posted by HunterJonson View Post
    Most people each other copy, the only question in %
    What does that mean? Like, people get ideas from other books or something? A lot of authors read books, get ideas, and go off on their own to make a book out of it.

The %, as in the percentage of people who expand on others' ideas? I don't know. I'll have to check this out. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Hairball View Post
    What does that mean? Like, people get ideas from other books or something? A lot of authors read books, get ideas, and go off on their own to make a book out of it.

The %, as in the percentage of people who expand on others' ideas? I don't know. I'll have to check this out. Thanks!
    This is true. There aren't too many new ideas out there and who hasn't been inspired by reading something written by someone else?
    There is no life I know
    To compare with pure imagination.
    Living there you’ll be free
    If you truly wish to be.~ Willy Wonka

This is why I get so cheesed at "I have a really good idea. I'll tell you, and you can write it, and we can split the money."

No thanks, I'm too busy with my own.
    Everything you want is just outside your comfort zone.
    — Robert G. Allen

Quote Originally Posted by astroannie View Post
    This is why I get so cheesed at "I have a really good idea. I'll tell you, and you can write it, and we can split the money."

No thanks, I'm too busy with my own.
    You got that right, sister!

Quote Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
    This is true. There aren't too many new ideas out there and who hasn't been inspired by reading something written by someone else?
    I'm often inspired by science books
    Je suis Charlie.

"My ambition is handicapped with laziness." - Charles Bukowski
    "The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” but “That’s funny…” - Isaac Asimov
    "Sometimes it's the very people who no one imagines anything of who do the things no one can imagine." - Alan Turing
    "Physicists are made of atoms. A physicist is an attempt by an atom to understand itself.” - Michio Kaku
    "No fighting in the War room!" - Dr. Strangelove
    "I'm friends with the mustard that's under my bed" - The Internet

In memory of Pandora, a beautiful butterfly spreading its wings above the Earth's realm...

I just realized (one of) my novel(s) is similar to "A Scanner Darkly" (well, idea is similar) by Phillip K. Dick, and although I'm his fan, I've never read the aforementioned book! I guess great minds do think alike
    Je suis Charlie.

"My ambition is handicapped with laziness." - Charles Bukowski
    "The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” but “That’s funny…” - Isaac Asimov
    "Sometimes it's the very people who no one imagines anything of who do the things no one can imagine." - Alan Turing
    "Physicists are made of atoms. A physicist is an attempt by an atom to understand itself.” - Michio Kaku
    "No fighting in the War room!" - Dr. Strangelove
    "I'm friends with the mustard that's under my bed" - The Internet

In memory of Pandora, a beautiful butterfly spreading its wings above the Earth's realm...

I so loved my set of Encyclopedia Brittanicas with the yearly updates I not only wrote a paper about it in my Methods of Research class in high school, but I stuffed the whole thing (shelves and all) into my Ford Granada and dragged it off to college with me. Mom was right behind me with my clothes, stereo, records, and all that other stuff.

Now you can just imagine what I think of the Internet! Woooohoooooo!! Research and history paradise.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast