I Remember

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I Remember

I Remember

When I was 3 I bit into an electric cord. I remember the buzzing tingle in my head,

When I was 7 I stepped on a nail. I remember the pain as it went through my foot.

When I was 10 I fell out of a tree. I remember bouncing down from branch to branch and hitting the ground hard.

When I was 13 I broke my nose. I remember the numb feeling and a lot of blood.

When I was 17 I got hit by a car. I remember the sound of screeching breaks and a thud. I woke up in a hospital.
    I most of all remember the smell of that hospital.

When I was 18 I met you. I remember----oh, so much, so very much. All wonderful. No pain. Just you.

When I was 22 we married. I remember our life together as a fairy tale.

When I was 31 I had a gallbladder attack. I remember the pain being so great I couldn’t even stand. Back to the hospital.
    The same hospital smell.

When I was 58 I had a heart attack. I remember thinking I don’t want to leave you, much more than I remember any pain.
    Hospital. Smell.

When I was 63 you went away. All I remember anymore are the painful events of my life.

I’m 65. I stand here by your stone. The gun is in my pocket.

I remember------

June 2011 edit Nov 22, 2011
    Last edited by Prof; January 4th, 2012 at 10:44 PM. Reason: skimming off the fat
    The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up.

This is staggering in the vivid imagery of that last line.I loved the way you brought the reader along-year by year--event by event-slowly building to a devastating conclusion ...
    On a personal note--I hope with all of my soul that you have never felt that kind of despair , That you would stand at her grave side with a gun in your pocket... Peace--Jul

Please don't pull the trigger...lol.

The fact that I''m writing this should suggest that either I didn't pull the trigger or that I am a very poor shot. I'm a very good shot, ergo---

Once in my life I did feel that kind of despair. I survived it. I have tried several times to articulate that feeling in poetry, usually around the 4th of July. This is my attempt this year
    --

Prof, I like the way the only positive memories in this are about the 'you'; it shows how important love is, without making it too lovey-dovey. Well handled, I think!

beautifully written piece here friend, beautiful indeed. This life is a strange one indeed, but everything is heading exactly to where it's supposed to be heading! Nothing is off track.

Stay positive sir! It's all a man has!

With love,

ECT

At first all i could notice was the the age numbers went up into then jumped to three, but then i started to realise the pattern you had. Very nice piece. I like how you wrote this. I was taken back by the ending - didn't expect that! Nice one

Thanks guys. I have been trying for years to get a certain emotion on paper. I think this comes close.

You don't have to make these changes if you don't want to.
    "When I was 7 I stepped on a nail. I remember the stabbing pain as it went completely through my foot."
    It sounded a bit wordy so i took out completely as it also sounded redundant being in the phrase "through my foot"
    When I was 7 I stepped on a nail. I remember the stabbing pain as it went through my foot.

"When I was 10 I fell out of a tree. I remember bouncing down the branches like a ping pong ball."
    The first sentence was a bit wordy. The second one sounds really nice though, but maybe you could find a different word for bouncing? It sounds a little too playful.
    When I was ten I fell from a tree.

"When I was 22 we married. I remember our life together almost as a fairy tale"
    Get rid of "almost"

"When I was 31 I had a gallbladder attack. I remember the pain being so great I couldn’t even stand up. Back to the hospital.
    I still most of all remember the smells."
    Remove the word "up" and you might be able to rephrase "I still most of all remember the smells"

"When I was 58 I had a mild heart attack. I remember thinking I don’t want to leave you, much more than I remember any pain.
    Hospital. Smells."
    Cut "mild from the first sentece" and place the word Any in front of "Hospital" and "Smells" It'll fit better with "any pain"

"When I was 63 you went away. All I remember anymore are the painful events of my life."
    First part is perfect. Restructure the second sentence. Maybe change it to "Now all i can recall are the painful events in my life."

the last sentence is amazing, its very plain, yet very emotional.

Reynolds29, of course I don't have to make the changes if I don't want to, but some are valid and I will edit a bit.

Your first is a good point, I try it.

Your next is less valid. I see little difference between fell out of & fell from. I agree about ping pong ball, but pichinco ball is no better and short of pin ball machine I draw a blank.

Your third, agree with removing up, but not about changing the last sentasnce.

Your fourth, I agree with dropping the word mild not with the rest of it.

Your fifth I must disagree with. "Remember" is the key word in the poem. Why would I change it to "recall?"

Still, thanks for the detailed reviews. I appreciate it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast