A Thousand Angels Screaming - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: A Thousand Angels Screaming

Blog Entries
    Sent chills down my spine; that really is how they sound.

Dear Feralpen--thanks for your kind comments. I am surprised ,that you have heard the angels scream---and can still write such delightful, witty poetry.
    basejumper400- thanks so much for reading and replying, I appreciate it. Peace. Jul

Sometimes writing is escape for me.
    I once read the back of a box of saltines. The grammar, spelling and punctuation were all perfect. The contents, however were a little bland for my taste. ~ feralpen

The angels screaming makes them seem evil.
    "Intelligence without imagination is stunted, imagination without intelligence is lost"
    "Logic depends on knowledge"
    "Freedom is imperfection"
    "Life is short, living is long"

Firemajic,

Anyone who has experienced the shock of bereavement will realize that you have captured the feelings of the mourner brilliantly. The landscape is infected with death, as "trampled grass", "blood splattered on wild roses", and "drifts of dying flowers" evince, and death enters the brain, but the fact of death remains unfathomable ("gazing at your narrow grave / an abyss I can not cross"). As a tiny side note, cannot is one word. You, the poet, write of "soothing words of comfort lost", of the search for religious consolation as indicated by the use of words such as "supplication", "choir", "Amazing Grace", and, most notably, "angels"; yet, the angels are screaming. This refrain you've composed is very striking. You've paired "angels", to whom we ascribe qualities such as purity and kindliness, with "screaming" which is an intensely physical and primal action. It is precisely this discord that challenges the grip on the surface of the earth, the grip on sanity. You've penned a remarkable poem, a poem depicting a horror that is vicariously experienced by readers-- certainly by this reader. Thank you for sharing. Be well.

In a lone grave on Gormenghast Mountain... ;_;
    Hey Jul-

I really thought I had responded to this way back when you first posted it, and I'm appalled at myself that I didn't. Just wanted to echo everyone else's sentiments. This is a truly beautiful piece of writing. I am sorry for your loss, of course, and I'm sure you would rather have your loved one back than have written a fantastic poem about her, but hopefully writing this did help a little. Anyway, I look forward to reading more of your writing. Be well~
    When will children learn to let their wildernesses burn?
    And love will be new, never cold and vacant.

S.M.g--thanks for reading--The Angels were not evil--rather, they were screaming in sympathetic misery.

Lace--I will treasure your comments on this poem, you "got" every nuance of grief and pain, and when you used the word "primal"---that is what my grief is--primal, as ancient and ageless as love it's self. Thank you for understanding.

Bachelorette --Thank you for your kind thoughts and remarks, they are appreciated, and valued, Peace...Jul

Quote Originally Posted by Firemajic View Post
    S.M.g--thanks for reading--The Angels were not evil--rather, they were screaming in sympathetic misery.
    I fully understand your meaning. In my head though, I keep on imagining dark angels just screaming, wide eyes, gaping mouths with sharp teeth, and in an intimidating pose. I guess kinda like the stone angels in Doctor Who
    "Intelligence without imagination is stunted, imagination without intelligence is lost"

In a lone grave on Gormenghast Mountain... ;_;
    Quote Originally Posted by S.M. grimbldoo View Post
    In my head though, I keep on imagining dark angels just screaming, wide eyes, gaping mouths with sharp teeth, and in an intimidating pose. I guess kinda like the stone angels in Doctor Who
    HAHAHA! That's so funny! I had the exact same mental image. The Weeping Angels from Doctor Who--creepy as hell, to be sure. Of course, Jul's angels aren't evil, but still. The look of the Weeping Angels really does fit the tone of the poem, even if the characterization of them does not.
    Last edited by Bachelorette; October 11th, 2011 at 10:50 PM. Reason: clarification
    When will children learn to let their wildernesses burn?
    And love will be new, never cold and vacant.

I'm glad I was not alone.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234