Teach me Metaphor - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Teach me Metaphor

When described, perhaps we should STOP.
    That is very heartless of you Sir. To do so would mean the foreclosure of mortgages, hungry families on welfare, dumping an entire demographic. What happens to all those high schoolteachers , professors, lecture room cleaners, secretaries who depend upon continued discussion.

It also seems prescriptive, must the description remain constant? Is there no room for change or development. I don't think that is in the nature of language.

I must disagree factually, emotionally and philosophically, and maybe a couple more -lly's, emphatically? Confrontationally? Unbelieviabally?
    Last edited by Olly Buckle; November 9th, 2020 at 12:33 AM.
    "Give me time I will find out how to delete the duplicates, in the meantime avoid the ones with a date instead of a title."
    I found out how and was discussing it with my technical adviser (Younger daughter) and she said "Why bother? It's obvious anyway and not a problem, and you will lose a few views" . So I didn't.

Stories from just over two minutes to just over sixteen minutes long, listen while you work, my friend listens whilst doing her work e-mails Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

Dammit! Meant to conclude my last post with :

followed by some ho-ho stuff about the absurdity of muffling a bunch of poets with the bit between their teeth, then concluding the post with this as the result of getting just too too, too . . .on certain topics. Mea Culpa for hitting Post before the funny bits.

"I believe in nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of the imagination". Keats, ​Letters

"No man is an island entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main . . . any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind. And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls -- it tolls for thee. " John Donne, Meditation XVII

Quote Originally Posted by Olly Buckle View Post
    Depends a bit how you take 'Cup'. If it is something that cups something else, as a bra cups a breast, it is pretty literal. But I'm picking nits, ignore me.

The types of cups found in a tool box are limited. A good guess will lead her to the right tool. The metaphor is relevant to content through figurative narrative. Meaning on the other hand is derived from the other individual and not from the art object. The art object only instills through the inner process of evoking the other individual. Hence the arts are the Humanities.

a poet friend
    RH peat

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123