I need a name for a gothic, futuristic city. - Page 2

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I need a name for a gothic, futuristic city.

can you talk a little about the city's history? like what was there before it was a city? was it just wilderness or perhaps an older city? if so, what was it called before this new city was built?
    "And now I am become death, the destroyer of worlds"

- Oppenheimer quoting the Bhagavad Gita

Gold city? Sounds good. Could change the spelling though:
    Aurepolis.

Hmm...

What about Aureopolis?

can you talk a little about the city's history? like what was there before it was a city? was it just wilderness or perhaps an older city? if so, what was it called before this new city was built?
    The was initially called Rockport (name subject to change), I can't tell you an exact time frame because the setting's time frame is vague to begin with. At the very least I know it was there by the 21st century, and it was a pretty unimportant port city surrounded by mountains.

It had rather average population and economy, until Saleinn came around. It was initially called Saleinn Technologies, and it was just a front to market a certain technology that would change the world: the Aurelia (name subject to change) system. It was a computer-controlled magnetic field that could create kinetic forces with so much precision that things like hovering cars, particle accelerators, and magnetism-based reactors became commonplace. Thanks to this technology, Saleinn Technologies grew rapidly into a corporation that spawned several fields, and soon held a monopoly in technology research. The city's economy quickly escalated as Saleinn Corp became world leader in economics and research, and then came the renovation project, mostly founded by Saleinn Corp and several other major companies. The official purpose of rebuilding the entire city was to create an infrastructure where technology research and manufacturing would not be limited by physical constraints, but their true intent is left to speculation.

Regardless, the first "Ground" was Ground One, an immense platform built reusing buildings as pillars that rose 212 meters above the ground. In the following years the Ground Two and Three projects started.

From then on, the city was known as Aureopolis.

That's pretty much the background I have thought of. I'll flesh it out a little more as I write

Cool history. But I still prefer Aurepolis. Or-REP-ul-iss.

Think about it.

High school = much work = procrastination = mother shouting = shouting back at mother

Portumpetris, my latin isn't great but I think that should be the 'gate of rock' as in 'Rockport'. nice and alliterative and could be construed metaphorically.

If you made that the original base layer you could name the layers, like portumlucem for the top one 'gate of light' and have portum for the city, sorry, only amusing myself really.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

i just thought it would add nice element of it to have to big corporate official name of the city while people who are old enough or live in the slums call it by it's original or older name.
    "And now I am become death, the destroyer of worlds"

- Oppenheimer quoting the Bhagavad Gita

I believe "gate" is "porta," thus Portapetris... or perhaps, Porta Lapidea...
    High school = much work = procrastination = mother shouting = shouting back at mother

While these latin names are pretty cool and meaningful, aren't they a bit too hard to spell for a city?

I can already imagine my tongue slipping while giving my address to someone else. Several pees and tees in succession spell trouble to me.

Also, I'm thinking of adding a Ground 4 (in construction at the time of the story) and naming it Cloud Nine (Either a space elevator or something unbelievably far into the sky). What do you guys think?

Fine then. Make it simple. Aurepolis. Stoneport. GraniTown. Skyhill. Laurelindórenan.
    Sure, add a Ground 4. 'Tis a good idea. Some extra action. Potential for more dystopia. Oh, the horror! Everyone rebels.

Quote Originally Posted by Trides View Post
    Fine then. Make it simple. Aurepolis. Stoneport. GraniTown. Skyhill. Laurelindórenan.
    lol

Sure, add a Ground 4. 'Tis a good idea. Some extra action. Potential for more dystopia. Oh, the horror! Everyone rebels.
    Or something that could fall down spectacularly at the story's climax!

... crushing everyone as Nature's apt payback for the evil deeds committed!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast