How does this cover look? - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How does this cover look?

I'd move the skull entirely to the front cover, Ditch, if possible. The way it's separated now doesn't really do justice to your cover. I'm not sure about the blue around your name and the title. I think if you had the entire front and back cover black, and the spine white, it would work better. That's just my opinion, though.
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

"One morning I shot an elephant in my pyjamas. How he got into my pyjamas I'll never know." ~ Groucho Marx.

"It is better to be feared than loved, if one cannot be both". ~ Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince.

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer". ~ Bruce Lee.

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's mind there are few". ~ Shunryu Suzuki.

"Give a man a mask and he will show you his true face". ~ Oscar Wilde.

"He who learns but does not think is lost; he who thinks but does not learn is in great danger". ~ Confucius.

Baron
    Quote Originally Posted by garza View Post
    If I get to the point with Seven Miles on a Dirt Road that I want to make an ebook, I'll remember to avoid Amazon's Createspace. Which epublishers allow the writer to design his own cover?
    Lulu allow authors to design their own cover.

That's good information. I want to get comments on one cover design I've thought of. I'll put it in a new thread.
    El día ha sido bueno. La noche será larga.

Nice. But I think the flag is too basic and drab. I think you should add something to catch a viewer's interest, like a bloody cutlass. Or maybe you could make the flag worn, torn and tattered. And I think the back gives a little too much information than it should.
    Last edited by tarunerebel; April 22nd, 2011 at 09:02 PM.

I had not even thought about a 'cover' for an e-book, I think at that point I would be so made up I really might not care too much, that must be a real charge Ditch.

Regarding the "Episode one" thing Foxee mentioned, how about "Book one". That lets you know there are more but this is a book, complete in itself.
    A new story

I finally got 'A Family Business' recorded and loaded, all 37 mins of it, much longer than any I have done before.
    Hidden Content

Book One sounds better, thank you sir. I kept getting Page not found" when I Googled Lulu and I saw a youtube video on how to use it, it seems a lot more user friendly. Amazon and Createspace are in cahoots as when you want to enter the amazon contest, you must have a Createspace account and the entries are there. I paid $39.00 for the premium membership so my work will be visible worldwide on other searh engines and ebook sites other than Amazon. The cover editor is still down and this is driving me nuts because I got an email from amazon saying that my book is now for sale. It still needs to be formatted and the cover done. It shows there as "no preview" which looks very amateurish.

Ditch, you're on the right track with your cover art. After looking at the just the cover -- not with the spine and back, I'm seeing you might want to show more of the skull and cross bones, but not all of it. The cropping gives it tension and provides interest. Right now, you've got it dissected at an angle -- I'd keep it at that angle and move it over -- and show about 2/3 of it. That's my two cents -- but since I'm a professional designer, my two cents are actually worth more like 5 cents.

P.S. I always tell people things "give it tension and provide interest" when I need to say something -- and people buy it. This time it happens to be true.
    Last edited by JosephB; April 22nd, 2011 at 10:40 PM.

Well the cover editor is back up. I'm jumping between websites because the internet provider out here really sucks. I downloaded a video and got a nastygram from the IP saying I had exceeded my bandwidth limitation. So, I upgraded and paid more. They said I could download movies, games and programs. I downloaded "Open Office" and it took over 45 minutes. I took my laptop to the hospital and it took only 8 minutes. I got bumped back down to slower than dial up because they again said I exceeded my bandwidth limit. I'm switching to Hughes Net Thursday. Maybe if I close except that one it will load faster. Well, I'm off to edit land.

We have a monopoly here - only one isp in the country. They give us high speed, dependable service, 24-7 tech help, more bandwidth than most people can ever use, but they charge more for it than you pay in the States. I pay 135 dollars a month, that's 67.50 in U.S. currency, and that includes a pre-paid landline telephone. Twice in the last year they've increased my speed without raising the rate. They are also the only telephone company, and telephone service in Belize, wired and wireless, is superior to telephone service anywhere else in Central America except possibly Costa Rica.

And Book One is less offputting for the cover.
    El día ha sido bueno. La noche será larga.

Honoured/Sadly Missed The Backward OX's Avatar
    Up the Creek without a paddle, Queensland, Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by garza View Post
    We have a monopoly here - only one isp in the country. They give us high speed, dependable service, 24-7 tech help, more bandwidth than most people can ever use, but they charge more for it than you pay in the States. I pay 135 dollars a month, that's 67.50 in U.S. currency, and that includes a pre-paid landline telephone. Twice in the last year they've increased my speed without raising the rate. They are also the only telephone company, and telephone service in Belize, wired and wireless, is superior to telephone service anywhere else in Central America except possibly Costa Rica.

And Book One is less offputting for the cover.
    Those isp rates surprised me. I expected I'd be paying more than that, for what sounds like pretty much the same service, but after getting out my trusty slide rule and doing some quick conversions, I find I'm paying the equivalent of just under USD$60 per month, including the landline. The one downside is the tech help. It's outsourced to S-E and East Asia, and some of their male accents are hard to follow. It does have a tendency to make me more self-reliant. Maybe that's their plan.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast