The Use of Abbreviations and Acronyms - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Use of Abbreviations and Acronyms

ppsage - As I said, anything funny in what I write is an accident, so if you find this thread topic amusing I am happy to have entertained you.
    El día ha sido bueno. La noche será larga.

We write to communicate. When what we write fails to make clear to the reader our intent, then we have failed as writers.
    Now I am not saying that you fail to communicate by using that sort of language, but with many readers there will be a sort of mental block. It's like when the police "Issue a statement reiterating their advice to youngsters to drink responsibly". Teenage pissheads will take no notice, the words have meaning and it is clearly the intended meaning, but communication is not taking place. You are not at that extreme, but you could communicate better.

The 'bombastic' bit comes from stating things as absolutes, even if something is verifiably true it is more acceptable to most readers if it is qualified "It is considered good practice to", "To the best of my knowledge", that sort of thing. It's part of the crafty bit.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by ppsage View Post
    Having perhaps established now that the emoto-abrievo-acro-iconograph "lmfao" has more in common with things of the sort than with those of the sort OoOUI (Office of Official Usuage Internetae) let me say that my reading of it in the thread referenced above was one of support for the immediatly preceeding post, nuanced by a recognition of an absurd hilarity inherent in the thread topic itself. An understanding not vastly different perhaps than what a comment such as "%$#@*&^!!!" might have evoked but certainly enriched by an understanding of the usages of "lmfao," wherein the deduced support is considerably more directly implied.
    (should have written, in the OP. The thread which engendered this discussion. Not this thread. No decision here yet, about entertainment. Sorry to be imprecise. )
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. Steven Wright

ppsage - That explains it. Thanks for the clarification.

Olly - All I can say is, for over 50 years I sold all I could write and lived comfortably - continue to live comfortably - on the proceeds.

Also I misspelled interneteae. Sorry again.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. Steven Wright

Dat'l teach youse to tro dem big woids aroun'.

Honoured/Sadly Missed The Backward OX's Avatar
    Up the Creek without a paddle, Queensland, Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by starseed View Post
    Well, perhaps it was funny in their head.

Although, now that I think about I have met people who completely abused these acronyms such as "LOL"...putting "LOL" after every sentence for no reason when the subject matter isn't even particularly funny. It's almost like some sort of weird online tick... the way one might use the word "um" or "like" to fill space between the gaps of their speech.

What's the worst is people who actually use acronyms when speaking out loud. Such as actually saying "L-O-L" instead of laughing. And yes I've actually known people in real life who did this. It bothers me so much!

Something else that annoys me is when people say something something.com or .net. Like "She is so totally stuckup.com" or "This place is sucky.org". It's just.... ewwww. It might have been funny once, for like one second, but some chick on TV the other day was doing it so much.... like every other sentence.

The internet is completely re-writing human life as we know it.
    It's all nearly as bad as using 'like' unnecessarily.

Quote Originally Posted by garza View Post
    There's little or no banter in anything I've ever written, and very often when I see it, even written in a proper language, I fail to get the point.
    Often there's little or no sense in what you've written either.
    Last edited by The Backward OX; April 18th, 2011 at 07:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Olly Buckle View Post
    Thus continuous LOLs do not mean that the writer literally laughed aloud
    Really? And all this time here's me believing they were. Seriously. Takes all types, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by garza View Post
    I don't twit. I don't face.
    What is these I don't even...

Nah, I kid.

Oh, and it's "tweet," not "twit," or at least that's how the website creators put it. "Twit" is more like a slang term for "idiot." (Wikipedia told me this one. Reference is here.)

As for "face," now that's something new to hear, though I get what you're trying to say, this as a reference to Facebook. I'm not exactly a social media expert, but I've never heard a single person say, "Oh, I've 'faced' for a couple of hours..."
    Hidden Content
    GOD DOESN'T MAKE THE WORLD THIS WAY... WE DO. - RORSCHACH, WATCHMEN

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast