Literary magazine? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Literary magazine?

Bilston, the Black Country, in the heart of England
    Thanks Olly & Ox.
    "I think a life is a plot. It's probably the elementary plot. I came across a quotation of Patrick White, the Australian writer, just about the time I needed it. He said he never bothers with plot. He just writes about life 'limping along toward death.' That made me feel much better, to keep this in my mind."

Carol Shields.

Baron
    Quote Originally Posted by Olly Buckle View Post
    Writer's and artist's year book has a section on magazines Bilston, of course most of them are things like "Aeromodeller" or "Trainspotting Great Britain" but the others are all there, should be a copy in the reference shelves at your local library (If the library still exists).
    I've added a link to the Artists and Writers Yearbook website in Writers Resources.

http://www.writingforums.com/writers...ml#post1421805

I think part of Bilston Blue's problem might also be that the short fiction market is bigger in the US than the UK, though I'm no expert on the validity of that. Just coming to a conclusion based on the larger number of US magazines listed on Duotrope.

Bilston Blue. If you don't mind me asking, is there a reason why you're looking for UK magazines in particular?

Bilston, the Black Country, in the heart of England
    Quote Originally Posted by Candra H View Post
    Bilston Blue. If you don't mind me asking, is there a reason why you're looking for UK magazines in particular?
    I entered a general search on Duotrope, as my shorts aren't genre specific, and was hit with hundreds / thousands of magazines, so I figured a search of the UK market would be more accessible due to the smaller scale. It's natural the market over here is smaller just by the size difference between the two countries.

More pertinently perhaps, there tends to be a certain Englishness about some of the stuff I've been writing recently. As someone trying to get published for the first time I figured it would make sense to start with the UK market.

I think the W&A YB seems a great place to start.

Scott.
    "I think a life is a plot. It's probably the elementary plot. I came across a quotation of Patrick White, the Australian writer, just about the time I needed it. He said he never bothers with plot. He just writes about life 'limping along toward death.' That made me feel much better, to keep this in my mind."

Carol Shields.

Quote Originally Posted by Bilston Blue View Post
    I entered a general search on Duotrope, as my shorts aren't genre specific, and was hit with hundreds / thousands of magazines, so I figured a search of the UK market would be more accessible due to the smaller scale. It's natural the market over here is smaller just by the size difference between the two countries.

More pertinently perhaps, there tends to be a certain Englishness about some of the stuff I've been writing recently. As someone trying to get published for the first time I figured it would make sense to start with the UK market.

I think the W&A YB seems a great place to start.

Scott.
    Ah, cool. Makes sense, and thanks for responding. I forget how awkward it can be for people writing non-genre specific stories to find a home out there in the vastness, because my work usually falls within at least one subgenre or other which makes it easier to narrow down the search results.

Good luck with your search.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12