Literary magazine?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Literary magazine?

Literary magazine?

I've finished editing a short story, it's not too long, that I'm interested in publishing. Does anybody know of some trustworthy literary mags that I can send my work to? It's a crime/psych story with a liberal bias.

Being paid is a plus.

Google duotrope digest.
    "A plot-driven story is anything with a plot." ~BS
    All lines are arbitrary; otherwise, we wouldn't have to draw them. ~Nicholas Vesiri

Did that, found Alfred Hitchcock magazine and two others. Looks impressive, and daunting!

Thanks, Ilasir!

The most respected of the lit mags is the Mississippi Review of Literature. They have an online edition here. Of near equal stature is the Sewanee Review. Being published in either of these will put you on the map, so to speak.

Many universities around the U.S. publish literary reviews. Contact the English departments of any universities near you to find out which ones in your area have such magazines. Payment is usually in free copies of the issue in which your story is published, or a very rate in money. The real payoff, though, is in building a portfolio of published material in reputable journals that will attract the attention of agents and publishers.
    El día ha sido bueno. La noche será larga.

McSweeney's...

your source for answers is duotrope.com
    Writing cleaner than he lives.

I third Duotrope. If the story is crime/psych, you can look under the appropriate genre and send your story right to the best magazine match rather than bumbling through lots of maybes without knowing if they fit.

Good luck.

Bilston, the Black Country, in the heart of England
    Does anybody know if there is a listing of magazines that accept short fiction which are based in the United Kingdom? I've looked on Duotrope and it is quite US oriented. I've found a small number on their list based in the UK, but there must be more.

Thanks in advance

Scott.
    "I think a life is a plot. It's probably the elementary plot. I came across a quotation of Patrick White, the Australian writer, just about the time I needed it. He said he never bothers with plot. He just writes about life 'limping along toward death.' That made me feel much better, to keep this in my mind."

Carol Shields.

Writer's and artist's year book has a section on magazines Bilston, of course most of them are things like "Aeromodeller" or "Trainspotting Great Britain" but the others are all there, should be a copy in the reference shelves at your local library (If the library still exists).
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

Honoured/Sadly Missed The Backward OX's Avatar
    Up the Creek without a paddle, Queensland, Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilston Blue View Post
    Does anybody know if there is a listing of magazines that accept short fiction which are based in the United Kingdom? I've looked on Duotrope and it is quite US oriented. I've found a small number on their list based in the UK, but there must be more.

Thanks in advance

Scott.
    Hi Scott,

Here in Australia, one of our writers’ centres puts out an annual publication similar to duotropes and listing thousands and thousands of publishing contacts throughout the country. My point is that if a colonial backwater with a population of only 20 million can do this, your country must have something along the same lines. Just for starters, I’d try googling terms like “british writers’ centre” and look for links. There is, I know, in Ireland, an annual event known as West Cork Literary Festival; maybe googling that might give some links to the type of publication you seek.

What you want'll be there somewhere. You just need to be creative with your searching. Ours has the words "writer's marketplace" as part of its title. Maybe something similarly-worded exists in the UK.
    Last edited by The Backward OX; March 30th, 2011 at 05:11 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast