Tips On Presenting Your Story For Online Critique (For new members.) - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tips On Presenting Your Story For Online Critique (For new members.)

Thanks! Very useful overview for a newbie!

Good stuff. "We are all expert readers" very true.

For future reference, I notice that a lot of works posted here are short stories or poetry. I'm not used to forums and I haven't been here long, but is there an interest in longer works here, and would people be willing to critique longer works?

My current WIP isn't exactly a short story, it isn't finished yet, and it's coming up on 150k words.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Someguyorwhateverwhocares View Post
    For future reference, I notice that a lot of works posted here are short stories or poetry. I'm not used to forums and I haven't been here long, but is there an interest in longer works here, and would people be willing to critique longer works?

My current WIP isn't exactly a short story, it isn't finished yet, and it's coming up on 150k words.

Yep certainly. You can try the fiction workshop at https://www.writingforums.com/forums...ction-Workshop. Try posting shorter excerpts such as the opening chapter and I can take a look. For crit of the piece as a whole you’d probably want beta readers.

Hidden Content Monthly Fiction Challenge

Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror which we are barely able to endure, and are awed,
    because it serenely disdains to annihilate us.
    - Rainer Maria Rilke, "Elegy I"

Is this fire, or is this mask?
    It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

C'mon everybody, don't need this crap.
    - Wham!

...it isn't finished yet, and it's coming up on 150k words.
    Hmm... Where have I heard those words before?

Oh yeah.... I said 'em. Something like 25,000 word ago.

And no, I'm nowhere near through either.

As for interest, I've only posted bits and pieces of it for people to see and critique. I don't know what would happen if I dumped the entire thing out on one of the forums.

...it might very well break something.

G.D.
    Leave it be and it won't bother you.
    Screw with it, and it'll eat you alive.

Soon enough, nations will play second fiddle to corporations.

"The world is not what we wish it to be; it is what it is."
    "Freedom is the value, not protection."

Blog Entries

There is also the beta reading forum for longer pieces, but take a look at that forums rules. 🙂
    Fancy joining a photgraphy group? The check out the Hidden Content group.

Visit My Blog to get to know me better.Hidden Content Hidden Content A fun group of like minded new writers.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content A place for young writers to talk and chill.

Why not check out the Hidden Content and join in the latest challenge discussions.

G.D.

I've been posting a chapter a week onto my blog for a while now, each chapters about 2K words give or take.

Once it's up to the end of the narrative arc it's currently on I'm going to go through it, compile it into one piece and edit it into an actual novel format.

That way I'm not allowed to just edit into oblivion without ever releasing anything, and my mind can focus on new things.
    Last edited by Someguyorwhateverwhocares; November 26th, 2018 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Making it clear who I was responding to

bdcharles

Do you need to be a certain rank to view and interact with that thread? Whenever I try to follow the link it says I don't have permission.

I'll check out the beta-reader section though, thanks.
    Last edited by Someguyorwhateverwhocares; November 26th, 2018 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Making it clear who I was responding to

G.D.

I've been posting a chapter a week onto my blog for a while now, each chapters about 2K words give or take.

Once it's up to the end of the narrative arc it's currently on I'm going to go through it, compile it into one piece and edit it into an actual novel format.

That way I'm not allowed to just edit into oblivion without ever releasing anything, and my mind can focus on new things.
    Well, I don't blog, but if I did, I might consider that.

And by the way, your chapters are either anorexic, or mine are obese, ( Probably the latter ) because even though I aim for about 5 to 6 K, a fair number of mine are nearer to 8 or 9.

Also, you have to hit a post count of 30, before you can post your stuff... I dunno if it doesn't let you into certain areas or not before then, 'cause I'm enough of a blabber mouth that 30 posts only took a couple'a days. ( Look at my post count. I've only been here since late September. )

Anyway, I hope this helps.

G.D.
    Leave it be and it won't bother you.
    Screw with it, and it'll eat you alive.

Soon enough, nations will play second fiddle to corporations.

"The world is not what we wish it to be; it is what it is."
    "Freedom is the value, not protection."

Quote Originally Posted by Guard Dog View Post
    And by the way, your chapters are either anorexic, or mine are obese, ( Probably the latter ) because even though I aim for about 5 to 6 K, a fair number of mine are nearer to 8 or 9.
    To be fair 2K was the number I was hovering around when I first started posting, and I was posting every single day. After a short while of that I decided that wasn't sustainable and cut it to one per week but the general word count stayed. So it's more that I don't want to stray from what I've already set up more than anything else.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast