Name of Magical Source? - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Name of Magical Source?

Quote Originally Posted by AaronTP View Post
    For a short story/novella I'm starting I need a name for a material which has magical properties. In the novel it is used to enhance humans, allow the use of magic, and fix imperfections in the body (making artificial limbs and animating them to the will of the user). Now, this material is similar to, if anybody has played, Final Fantasy 7's Mako/Materia. I thought of calling it Saphire, but that just doesn't really work...so I just need a name, if you can afford to spare the time?
    What about Gold? I had a gold tooth once. In the world you're speaking of, gold doesn't need to be the same as gold in our world.
    In His Dark Materials, the word dust had a different meaning to our opinion of dust.
    Last edited by spider8; February 13th, 2011 at 10:58 AM. Reason: To put a space between 'adifferent'

Is it important to know the name before you write? Can you just call it "Magic Stuff" for now, write the story, and then in revisions, see if there are elements in the story that lend itself to a name?

These are rather great ideas. And I do believe Fortissimo is latin? Either way I'd use staccato instead

Thanks for the support and advice.
    "We have come to destroy you." Davian Thule, Warhammer 40k Dawn of War 2
    "But I need tacos! I need them or I'll explode. That happens to me sometimes...." Gir, Invader Zim
    Need tips on Writing? Go visit Hidden Content

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123